Your Favorite Deep Sleepers (Draft)

TigerJ

Oregon jr.  wr Dillon Mitchell. Can play slot or outside, dangerous after the catch. May not be a process guy as his maturity and work ethic have been questioned. Was hoping he would come back for one more year with Herbert and I think it would have improved his stock. Probably a late round or undrafted prospect at this point but the talent is definitely there imo.

19 hours ago, wppete said:

Sutton Smith

I love Sutton Smith, great pass rusher vs college competition, but he's the size of an NFL Safety. I don't see him getting drafted, will be a UFA somewhere & may have a shot to stick around as a 3-4 OLB. I fear him trying to add weight will affect his quick first step.

• Like (+1) 2

David Sills. That's my guy. Super smart former quarterback who understands the passing game and is a really good red zone guy. Probably my favorite receiver in the draft. 

On 4/1/2019 at 3:45 PM, Teddy KGB said:

Do it Beane ! 

Yep! Do it!

• Like (+1) 1

WR Tyre Brady from Marshall has the STRONGEST hands in the draft. He's not a great athlete, so he won't go early and is very unlikely to be a star. But he'll almost certainly be a solid contributor in the NFL IMO.

STRONG hands are a huge bonus when your QB has Justin Verlander velocity.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Oregon jr.  wr Dillon Mitchell. Can play slot or outside, dangerous after the catch. May not be a process guy as his maturity and work ethic have been questioned. Was hoping he would come back for one more year with Herbert and I think it would have improved his stock. Probably a late round or undrafted prospect at this point but the talent is definitely there imo.

I'm a duck and have followed Oregon for 20 years and have never heard one word of DMitch having maturity or work ethic questions. 

There was a time where he was thinking of walking away from football, but actually put in MORE work and re-found his love for the game. 

He's definitely getting drafted. I wouldn't be shocked if it was late 3 or early 4... definitely not going undrafted. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I'm a duck and have followed Oregon for 20 years and have never heard one word of DMitch having maturity or work ethic questions. 

There was a time where he was thinking of walking away from football, but actually put in MORE work and re-found his love for the game. 

He's definitely getting drafted. I wouldn't be shocked if it was late 3 or early 4... definitely not going undrafted. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dillon-mitchell?id=32194d49-5422-8980-b5b6-45b020209f4e

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/39033/dillon-mitchell

Met my wife 23 years ago at the U of O and still live there part of the year. We go to a few games every year and watch all the other games on TV. I hadn't heard about those work ethic questions either before reading some scouting reports. I think he will be drafted around the 5th or 6th round personally but I have seen late round to undrafted projections on a couple draft sites.

I do think another year with Herbert might have been a good idea for him but maybe he was concerned his target share could change. He is fun to watch and I would be psyched if the Bills get him.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

As one poster alluded to already, Tyre Brady is the one for me. I have him ranked as the #4 or 5 WR in the class. 

I also would like Matt Colburn, RB from Wake Forest, as a UDFA. I don’t expect him to be drafted but he’s a talented all around back IMO.

Darwin Thompson (Utah State) and James Williams (Washington State) are two other RBs that probably go around the 5th or 6th that have some promising tape and numbers.

Lastly, I like Jonathan Ledbetter from Georgia as a big DE prospect and CB Derrick Baity from Kentucky if he lasts that long. 

Edit: I don’t feel as passionately about them as I do Tyre Brady, but two other WRs I like late in the draft are Jamal Custis (Syracuse) and Olamide Zaccheaus (Virginia).

FWIW, my deep sleepers last year were Levi, Josh Adams (started down the stretch for Philly), Trey Quinn (expected to start for Washington this year), Martez Carter (don’t think he stuck on anyone’s roster), and Luis Perez (I think someone will scoop him up this offseason now that AAF is over). I say all this to say that I’m probably due to be wrong about all these guys this year lol

Edited by DCOrange
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dillon-mitchell?id=32194d49-5422-8980-b5b6-45b020209f4e

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/39033/dillon-mitchell

Met my wife 23 years ago at the U of O and still live there part of the year. We go to a few games every year and watch all the other games on TV. I hadn't heard about those work ethic questions either before reading some scouting reports. I think he will be drafted around the 5th or 6th round personally but I have seen late round to undrafted projections on a couple draft sites.

I do think another year with Herbert might have been a good idea for him but maybe he was concerned his target share could change. He is fun to watch and I would be psyched if the Bills get him.

Awesome, go Ducks! 

Yeah TMitch would be awesome on the Bills and probably a solid value. Not overly concerned about those rumors... they gotta say something (see: Mariotta's "no red flags red flag...) 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, RyanC883 said:

Great topic.  Here are my picks:

1.  McGary--OT, Washington.  Walter Football has him going in the 6th, I think he goes before then.

2.  Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock.  Good size and speed, but competition not very great. 

3.  J. Custis, Syracuse, WR.   Great size.  Not very fast, however.  Could emerge as a red-zone target. 

4.  Nauta, GA TE.  Has the traits, could have been a scheme issue at GA?

5.  Humphrey, WR-Texas.  Would not go so late in the draft, if not for off-field issues.   

I'm a big fan of Wes Hills as well, but have seen some predictions of him going as high as the third round,  though I think they've fallen a bit lately.

I'd love to grab David Blough in the 6th. He does have some projections in the 5th, so perhaps he doesn't quite fit the criteria of this thread either. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 947 said:

I love Sutton Smith, great pass rusher vs college competition, but he's the size of an NFL Safety. I don't see him getting drafted, will be a UFA somewhere & may have a shot to stick around as a 3-4 OLB. I fear him trying to add weight will affect his quick first step.

I think his only spot out on the field will be on special teams, he is going to be a daemon on ST, and a back up at SAM LB in a 4-3 that comes in and rushes the passer. I would use a 6th or 7th to draft him.

14 hours ago, 947 said:

Man I really want to like Sutton Smith, but he just doesn't have that length. We joke about T-Rex arms, but seriously, he has them. I think, perhaps, he could play will inside in a 3-4, but he might get eaten alive by big blockers. But he is going to really struggle to play against the tackles in the NFL. IMO, he doesn't have the length to be an edge player in the NFL. Even if he bulks up a bit, his arms will still be way too short. I do think he will be a special teams demon. Can't argue with the production, I just don't see where he could possibly play. He reminds me of a very poor man's John Simon, though Simon is bigger, faster, stronger, and longer. Simon has carved out a respectable career as a sub package part time guy.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Tyre McCants WR USF

Alec Ingold FB Wisconsin

Matt Gay K Utah

Qadree Ollison RB Buffalo

Brody Oliver WR Colorado School of Mines

BJ Autry OG Jacksonville State

If Buffalo retains 3 picks in rounds 6 and 7, I think these guys are worthy of consideration, haven't seen anyone mocked in round 6 or higher, some will be UDFA.

Tyre McCants looks to be capable of being a versatile player, 5 feet 11 and 234 lbs, line him up in any offensive skill position.

Ingold and Gay are worthwhile picks to compete with the existing veterans.

I also like Wesco as a TE/FB hybrid from WVU but I think he will go in round 5. 

2 hours ago, quincy said:

Tyre McCants WR USF

Alec Ingold FB Wisconsin

Matt Gay K Utah

Qadree Ollison RB Buffalo

Brody Oliver WR Colorado School of Mines

BJ Autry OG Jacksonville State

If Buffalo retains 3 picks in rounds 6 and 7, I think these guys are worthy of consideration, haven't seen anyone mocked in round 6 or higher, some will be UDFA.

Tyre McCants looks to be capable of being a versatile player, 5 feet 11 and 234 lbs, line him up in any offensive skill position.

Ingold and Gay are worthwhile picks to compete with the existing veterans.

I also like Wesco as a TE/FB hybrid from WVU but I think he will go in round 5. 

McCants sounds like a really unique prospect.  One article I read suggests he is a dominant blocker.  Maybe a team could use him as a full back on one play and a WR the next.  It makes a player who is only a fullback in this day and age (Patrick DiMarco) seem almost obsolete.  He ran a 4.5 in high school.