Gunner's 2019 1st Round Mock (UPDATE - Final Version now published)

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think that the chances of a LB going in the top 5 are VERY slim. I suspect that Devin White is not going to go nearly as high as people think - non-pass rushing LBs are the defensive equivalents of RBs - lots of 'em and easily replaceable. 

Anyway, I think White is being placed too high in far too many mocks. 

Maybe. But I think there is a very small pool of potential elite players in this draft and he is one. Oh, and Raiders. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe. But I think there is a very small pool of potential elite players in this draft and he is one. Oh, and Raiders. 

I don't buy it. The number of non-pass rushing LBs going in the top 10 is tiny, and most have been busts relative to their draft position: AJ Hawk, Curry, McClain, Ernie Sims, Keith Rivers. Outside of Kuechly (#9 overall) and Raquon Smith (#8 overall), who stands out as an elite sideline-to-sideline LB taken in the top 10? (I do realize that Patrick Willis was taken at #11.) Maybe Anthony Barr (#9)? He rushes the passer a lot though. The bust-to-boom ratio is very high.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=LB&type=position 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I don't buy it. The number of non-pass rushing LBs going in the top 10 is tiny, and most have been busts relative to their draft position: AJ Hawk, Curry, McClain, Ernie Sims, Keith Rivers. Outside of Kuechly (#9 overall), who stands out as an elite sideline-to-sideline LB taken in the top 10? (I do realize that Patrick Willis was taken at #11.)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=LB&type=position 

I get the point. But Roquan went 8 last year too. 

I loved Smith and thought he was a truly elite LB - a Saquon Barkley of LBs. But Devin White? 

I don't quite have White as high as I had Smith but do I have an "elite potential" grade on him. He is the 4th best player on my board. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't quite have White as high as I had Smith but do I have an "elite potential" grade on him. He is the 4th best player on my board. 

To repeat, I'll be shocked if he goes in the top 5. I think it's nuts to spend a top 5 pick on a LB when elite pass rushers are available. They're way more important. The last time the Raiders spent a top 10 pick on a non-pass rushing LB, they ended up with ... Rolando McClain--a total bust. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

To repeat, I'll be shocked if he goes in the top 5. I think it's nuts to spend a top 5 pick on a LB when elite pass rushers are available. They're way more important. The last time the Raiders spent a top 10 pick on a non-pass rushing LB, they ended up with ... Rolando McClain--a total bust. 

Whereas I will be shocked if he gets past the Buccs. 

On 3/31/2019 at 12:08 PM, GunnerBill said:

We don't agree on the Cards. Fitz is done. Kirk is very raw and they had no line at all to speak of. 

The Giants should take a QB but they should have last year too. I am starting to think Beane was always the brains behind the operation in Carolina because Gettleman's moves don't make sense. 

The Steelers 100% have a dire need at MLB. If either Devin is there they pick them but looking historically at the way they operate under Colbert they do not trade up in the first. They let the board come to them. It would just be out of character for them to trade up.

From what I understand about the situation in Carolina, Gettleman's best work was done managing the cap. They brought him in after Hurney gave TWO massive deals to running backs and the team was underwater financially...he cleaned that up and got them contending within 4 years I believe. He's not meant to be a great college prospect/draft guy, although he's strong in pro personnel...I think it's very possible Beane was handling a lot of the draft work for Gettleman's staff.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be shocked if TB takes him even though I know he's been mocked there by many. I think draft mockers perpetually overvalue LBs. We shall see. 

Anything is possible.  Teams still draft RBs in the top five....

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd be shocked if TB takes him even though I know he's been mocked there by many. I think draft mockers perpetually overvalue LBs. We shall see. 

We will. The other thing that plays in is that it is a really weak LB draft after White and Bush. If you are a team that needs one badly I don't think you wait. 

On 4/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, dave mcbride said:

@GunnerBill - Well, I was totally wrong!

42 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

@GunnerBill - Well, I was totally wrong!

In fairness...........they let Kwon Alexander leave then used a PREMIUM pick on his replacement...........that's Jauron-Billsy............like cutting Milloy to draft Whitner or Fletcher/Poz............I could go on, of course..........good way to start the process of bankrupting your roster.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1