Was Ryan Groy released?

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I have not seen anything about it here, and he is still listed on the Bills' official site roster. However, his Wikipedia page lists his as a free agent as does the Bills' depth chart on Ourlads. Hmmm.

He wasn’t cut or released. There was an accounting glitch that kept him on the team. The Bills simply fixed the glitch.

• Haha (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

last year?..absolutely....his first year here?...not so IMO..........

I would conjure a guess they cared about the old adage "what have you done for me lately?" Being  next to better guard play probably hid many of his faults. Thus.... this year they didn't re-sign him.

4 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I would conjure a guess they cared about the old adage "what have you done for me lately?" Being  next to better guard play probably hid many of his faults. Thus.... this year they didn't re-sign him.

...nothing wrong with moving on......McBeane certainly has been busy so far regarding the OL, hopefully with input from the new OL Coach....with FA$$$ still in the cookie jar and 10 picks, think we'll end up in good shape....

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Groy is hanging out with Mills...

They are about to be joined by Ducasse and Bodine..

...now they'll have enough for euchre.........:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

That’s fine but my point is this teams roster building has been so poor that many of their free agents are sub nfl caliber talent. No matter how you spin it that speaks how bad they’ve been at drafting/developing/and evaluating pro personnel.

Jordan Mills has offers. ..

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Clearly.

The question is how did he go from being so good on the field that another team tried to steal him away to being so bad that he was benched and didn't get re-signed?

O line Coach has to have something to do that  perhaps ?

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

With that attitude, it sure is.

LOL ed

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, T master said:

No he wasn't released he just wasn't resigned :huh:

Is this Krafts defense  ?

I too thought he was going to work out.

it did seem there was  sincere drop off in his play when Bodine came on

6 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think the new guys are doing pretty well at drafting/developing/ and evaluating.  They let Mills, Miller, and Groy walk.  They signed Long, Morse, Feliciano, and Nysecke.  Plus they drafted Dawkins and Teller and they have 10 picks.  Let's see how they do.

Whaley drafted Dawkins.

15 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Whaley drafted Dawkins.

If that's what you want to think.  Whaley was the GM of record but who was talking to the press before the draft and after the draft?  McD was.  Who was let go shortly after the draft?  Whaley was.  So technically you are right but realistically you are not.

Edited by DCbillsfan

Huge disappointment and major miscalculation by me and many on this board. I thought he would replace Wood without much of a drop off.

I was wrong. Beane was correct in going after a center, but Bodine was also a major drop off from Wood. 

For 2019, I still keep Bodine on the roster.  Spencer Long was terrible at C last year but as folks have pointed out he was also injured. 

They have the cap room to keep Bodine this year as insurance for Morse. He has missed time in both of the last two years.

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If that's what you want to think.  Whaley was the GM of record but who was talking to the press before the draft and after the draft?  McD was.  Who was let go shortly after the draft?  Whaley was.  So technically you are right but realistically you are not.

We still don't know if it was Whaley or Nix who drafted EJ and we will never know who put the draft board together for 2017 draft. It's fine to give credit to McD for White and Dawkins. But then you have to say he passed on Mahomes and traded up for Zay. 

Again no one will know the draft board and who was ultimately making the picks. But I agree it was probably McD.

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We still don't know if it was Whaley or Nix who drafted EJ and we will never know who put the draft board together for 2017 draft. It's fine to give credit to McD for White and Dawkins. But then you have to say he passed on Mahomes and traded up for Zay. 

Again no one will know the draft board and who was ultimately making the picks. But I agree it was probably McD.

Ethan, we do know who drafted EJ, we really do.

The guy who was GM? He's the one who pulled the trigger. Buddy Nix. With Whaley in agreement. Doug Whaley had plenty of chances to back away from the pick and distance himself after Nix was gone. He never did, and his speech right after was a classic ... "He's got 'it.' " He agreed.

We also know very clearly that Whaley was in agreement, as Nix put Whaley in charge of a committee to pick a QB. Whaley did so. Nix said yes or no, and in this case, yes.

We also know who had the power with McD and Whaley. Whaley did for the first couple of weeks McD was here. And then the Pegulas fell in love with McD and he got the power. It was in the papers at the time. Exactly who put what where on the board? No. But who was in charge? And therefore who gets the responsibility? That was McD.

We don't know the smaller details in either case. But the responsibility was clear in both cases.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Ethan, we do know who drafted EJ, we really do.

The guy who was GM? He's the one who pulled the trigger. Buddy Nix. With Whaley in agreement.

We also know very clearly that Whaley was in agreement, as Nix put Whaley in charge of a committee to pick a QB. Whaley did so. Nix said yes or no, and in this case, yes.

We also know who had the power with McD and Whaley. Whaley did for the first couple of weeks McD was here. And then the Pegulas fell in love with McD and he got the power. It was in the papers at the time. Exactly who put what where on the board? No. But who was in charge? And therefore who gets the responsibility? That was McD.

You are probably correct.  Do you think Beane or McD is calling the shots? Because Beane talks BPA but drafted for need giving up picks just like McD did the year before.  

McD talks Lean Management and in that system it rarely is one person calling all the shots. It is usually a consensus with lots of input on strategic decisions like asset accumulation which is what the draft is. My guess is it truly is a team effort.