Most underrated RB

Tcali

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

How has he fared in voting for canton... does he have an Andree Reed sort of shot? Respect to 83 just comparing the journey 

Statistically, he deserves it much more than Reed does. Not to mention Reed was a serious POS off the field. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Except for that drop against the Browns.

?

Not sure if you are joking given emoji after gif 

Ronny Harmon dropped the pass in end zone vs CLE in 89 playoff game. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I had forgotten about half these backs- and i have watched a ton football since the end of 80's. Most of these guys played a few spectacular years or a lot of great years but not many have both. I though have yet tp see the guy who is 4th all time- Frank Gore. I always knew he was great but top 4 all time shocked me.

The fact that you’re shocked is an indication that Gore was never that great and that his numbers are largely a product of longevity.  Gore has had one really good year and that’s about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Sammy Morris never had the chance to really be a feature back but could have shined given a better opportunity. He had a 4.1 career ypc average on 736 rushes and scored a TD about every 28 touches. In 2008 with NE he had the most attempts of his career, 156, and had 4.7 ypc and also scored nearly once per 22 rushes.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

The fact that you’re shocked is an indication that Gore was never that great and that his numbers are largely a product of longevity.  Gore has had one really good year and that’s about it.

You and i will have to disagree- if you end up top 5 in total rushing yards without having an incredible offensive line and also have 4K in catching makes you great. I would not have had him my top 5 during his career period much less top 5 all time is stats.

^^^^ I see a difference in having a great career and being great.  I give Gore credit for squeezing every ounce of talent he's got and putting it on the field.  He must have one heck of a drive and be very disciplined.  His injury history in college would have lead many of his peers to give up.  He's proven that durability/availability is just as important as raw talent.  I don't know how he could be kept out of the HOF?  I don't think he's an automatic first ballot guy, but he does deserve the honor.  I too was shocked at his standings.

19 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

^^^^ I see a difference in having a great career and being great.  I give Gore credit for squeezing every ounce of talent he's got and putting it on the field.  He must have one heck of a drive and be very disciplined.  His injury history in college would have lead many of his peers to give up.  He's proven that durability/availability is just as important as raw talent.  I don't know how he could be kept out of the HOF?  I don't think he's an automatic first ballot guy, but he does deserve the honor.  I too was shocked at his standings.

Gore has played 14 seasons and compiled 95 total touchdowns. Todd Gurley has played 4 seasons and compiled 56 total touchdowns. Gore is a really good back who's longevity is a testament to hard work and determination. He's not a true difference maker. I think he'll probably get in the hall, but I don't know that he deserves it. Running backs have come and gone, but Gore has never been the best at his position. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tcali said:

Gore is a great RB..along the lines of Thurman or Emmit Smith....Among the very elite like OJ,JB,Barry,Campbell?? NO. But a HofFamer for sure.1st ballot may be slightly tight.

Please...Gore isn’t even in the same discussion with Thurman or Emmitt Smith.  Those guys put up at least 1800 yards from scrimmage year after year and each was among the top three or four backs in the league during that time.  And of course both were star players on the dominant teams of their era.

Gore has never come close to any of those achievements and, save one season when he was second team all-pro, he has never even been one of the top five backs in the league.   He’s an above average back who’s stuck around for a long time.  That’s it.

Edited by mannc

43 minutes ago, mannc said:

Please...Gore isn’t even in the same discussion with Thurman or Emmitt Smith.  Those guys put up at least 1800 yards from scrimmage year after year and each was among the top three or four backs in the league during that time.  And of course both were star players on the dominant teams of their era.

Gore has never come close to any of those achievements and, save one season when he was second team all-pro, he has never even been one of the top five backs in the league.   He’s an above average back who’s stuck around for a long time.  That’s it.

I think you are drastically underrating the value of consistency. He’s had seven 1,100 yd rushing seasons. He may get to 100 td. Made 5 pro bowls. He’s always been a catcher out of the backfield. The guy is 5th all time in scrimmage yds. And will most likely end up 4th at the end of the year. 

And just for some context.... Thurman averaged just over 1,200 scrimmage yds a season over his 13 years. Gore has averaged over 1,300 a season over 14 years now. He’s had 5 different 40+ catch seasons. IMO you are seriously undervaluing his production. 

I get it. You weigh shorter spans of pure dominance more over consistently. But I think both have serious merit. Gore wasnt just consistently solid his whole career. I would argue he was consistently really good(not great) for longer than almost any other back there’s been. I’ll wager its not IF he gets in, but just WHEN. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty