Most underrated RB

Tcali

18 hours ago, mannc said:

More recent:  Priest Holmes, undrafted free agent, but was one of the best backs in the league for three or four years.  Could do it all.

Probably 3-4 years of the very best football I have ever seen. Regardless of position. He was just absolutely dominant 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Stephen Jackson is a great call. 

His numbers are staggering really. A massive 235 lb dual threat back that ran for 1000 eight years in a row and retired 20th all time in scrimmage yds amongst ALL players at over 15,000. 

Poor guy saw the playoffs his rookie year and then never again until he was a fringe player on the pats his final year. 

26 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

My pick would be Fred Taylor. Taylor is ranked 17th all time, had seven 1000 yard seasons and only got one pro bowl nod and a 2nd team all pro in the same year. Zero recognition other than that, criminal.

I agree. I had posted about him earlier. The poor dude didn’t even get a pro bowl nod when he ran for 1500 one year. Haha 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

He had that gruesome leg injury where he got caught in a pile and his leg broke at the need and folded the wrong way  I think that ended football for him

Wrong Napolean. That was McCallum. How in the world have the Raiders had two RUNNING BACKS named Napolean? Crazy.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fred was a great guy, but not a game changer.  He wasn't an every game back and on  bad teams with modest offensive weapons, he didn't dominate with his legs.

But in the spirit of "underrated", it has to be a truly great back who is not often mentioned with other great backs.

So:

C Martin

E James

Ricky Williams

I agree about Ricky Martin but you don't remember when free was in his prime making marshawn expendable as well as cj spiller....you don't remember his mvp all pro pace that he was on that year before injury where he was unstoppable??? Fred could do it all and do it all above average and had some of the best balance and instincts I've ever seen in a rb...he made the absolute most of his touches  ....im worry I'm a Freddy homer but the dudes my hero haha

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fred was a great guy, but not a game changer.  He wasn't an every game back and on  bad teams with modest offensive weapons, he didn't dominate with his legs.

But in the spirit of "underrated", it has to be a truly great back who is not often mentioned with other great backs.

So:

C Martin

E James

Ricky Williams

Yeah it was 2011 in 10 games played he had 1370 yards from scrimmage he was finally being given the role of a workhorse that he needed

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Probably 3-4 years of the very best football I have ever seen. Regardless of position. He was just absolutely dominant 

Surprised no one else has mentioned Priest.  Borderline HoF, I think. Check out his receiving numbers, too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Steven Jackson. Guy could have went down as one of the best of all time but his entire career was wasted on a garbage Rams team.

When I lived in Vegas he used to come into my Buffalo Wild Wings. Just so happened that one of the times I had an official NFL ball in the trunk of my car that he gladly signed. 

He he was always a super cool guy. Very humble, respectful.

i wonder how much that ball is worth now 

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You rarely hear his name when discussing the top 10 or 20 RB's of all time.  Ten straight 1,000 yard seasons is ridiculous.

hehe - I am pretty comfortable leaving Curtis Martin out of any and all discussions of top 10 all time - maybe top 20

Just off the top of my head...

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

Emmitt Smith

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Walter Payton

Thurman Thomas

OJ Simpson

Marshall Faulk

Marcus Allen

LaDainian Tomlinson

Gayle Sayers

Franco Harris

Tony Dorsett

Adrian Peterson

That's 15 already - where does Martin go on that list? 

49 minutes ago, mrags said:

When I lived in Vegas he used to come into my Buffalo Wild Wings. Just so happened that one of the times I had an official NFL ball in the trunk of my car that he gladly signed. 

He he was always a super cool guy. Very humble, respectful.

i wonder how much that ball is worth now 

How has he fared in voting for canton... does he have an Andree Reed sort of shot? Respect to 83 just comparing the journey 

I had forgotten about half these backs- and i have watched a ton football since the end of 80's. Most of these guys played a few spectacular years or a lot of great years but not many have both. I though have yet tp see the guy who is 4th all time- Frank Gore. I always knew he was great but top 4 all time shocked me.

3 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

hehe - I am pretty comfortable leaving Curtis Martin out of any and all discussions of top 10 all time - maybe top 20

Just off the top of my head...

Jim Brown

Barry Sanders

Emmitt Smith

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Walter Payton

Thurman Thomas

OJ Simpson

Marshall Faulk

Marcus Allen

LaDainian Tomlinson

Gayle Sayers

Franco Harris

Tony Dorsett

Adrian Peterson

That's 15 already - where does Martin go on that list? 

Gil Brandt has him at #13 ahead of Thurman, Allen, and Harris (on your list).  Fifth all time in total rushing yards.  Led the league in rushing at 31 years old.  Ten straight 1,000 yard seasons (only Barry Sanders has also accomplished that feat) out of 11 seasons played.  Five pro bowls.  Parcells valued him so much he gave up a 1st and 3rd to snag him from the Pats.  Despite all that, he didn't make the HOF until his 2nd year of eligibility.  

Most won''t remember him, but Lydell Mitchell was a beast for the Colts in the 1970s. Great shifty runner and prolific receiver out of the backfield (before it became fashionable). Another great back of the 70s-80s was Chuck Muncie, incredible combination of size, power and speed. The guy had stretches when he was damn near unstoppable. He scored 19 rushing TDs in 1981, I believe a record at the time. Muncie could have been the next Jim Brown -- if not for his cocaine habit.