Which Prospects Do You NOT Want The Bills To Draft?

10 hours ago, zonabb said:

Metcalf. Workout warrior, NFL defensive backfields will make him what he is and will be, a physically gifted, lazy route runner who is fast. Teams and fans always fall in love with the freaks and overlook the limitations. And haven't we learned with top 10 "can't miss WRs"?

While I am not keen on drafting Metcalf either, I think it is unfair to say his route running is lazy.  He is very young and missed time with injuries- he may develop into a better route runner.  I don't think that there is any lack of effort in Metcalf.

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Like Aaron Donald doesnt have the size??

Donald is a true exception.  Maybe Oliver is too, but pointing out 1 exception to a general rule doesn't invalidate the idea that there are very few 281 lb DTs in the NFL for a reason.

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Which Prospects Do You NOT Want The Bills To Draft?

So many names have been thrown around here and now we are seeing some of the mock drafts come out.  There’s a lot of players that fans either want or want to avoid like the plague!

To be honest, if you would have asked me last year I would have put Josh Allen (the QB from Wyoming....not the LB from Kentucky) on this list.  But in the end I’m glad he was my selection.  .

It's not really a question of wanting or not-wanting anyone, it's more a question of how best to move the team forward.  

All, or at least close to all of the talk about transitioning from last season to this one revolves around Allen and "giving him the tools he needs..." etc.  Unpopular here is that much of Allen's woes actually have much to do with him, but the truth is that it's some of both, the percentages of which can be argued.  

Everyone knows that Allen's deep game is fine.  Brown had one TD last season of over 21 yards (33) in Baltimore and only one, that one, over 30 in his last three seasons there.  So clearly there's a disconnect between the veracity of Brown being some kind of monster deep-threat.  

Allen himself only threw two TD passes for longer than 31 yards last season which also reinforces the notion that games aren't routinely won on deep-balls.  One of those two games was won on defense, not offense with 14 points.  

Correcting Allen's play is far more important than winning a couple of more games while failing to do the former.  If Allen improves notably and the team goes 6-10 then McBeane will conitinue to be around.  But if we finish 8-8 and Allen plays no better or only marginally better than he did last season, which would be well below-average, evident that he's a huge project, that won't bode well for them and their time in Buffalo.  

So the question becomes how to correct Allen's play.  Better "tools?"  Blocking?  It can all be debated. 

But if Allen's going to progress and improve, he's absolutely going to have to hone his short-medium game.  He left an awful lot of yards on the field last season, I'd guess 50+ on average, which is a ton, simply because he couldn't find wide-open receivers short, many on plays that would have gone for big gains.  Was it his "tools" then?  ... because they were wide open which is all you can ask and expect a RB, WR, or TE to do.  

So what's the draft strategy for that?  A deep-game WR?  I don't think so.  Defense?  Not sure how.   A deep-WR simply feeds an addiction that is part of the problem and which masks reality.  

Allen had more time-to-throw by a statistical country mile than any QB in the league last year according to NFL.com's Next Gen Stats   

It seems to me that they need to do several things.  First, figure out how to get into his head and correct years of patterned steady-state play by which Allen has relied on his athleticism and deep-arm to do what he's done,  in leagues where those assets were all the difference, and whatever that is and to whatever unimpressive extent he's done it generally speaking.  

Secondly, that process is very likely going to involve settling him down and having him realize that there's a short-game out there that will ultimately result in more yards than the deep-game, at the same time somehow get him to try to favor that short-medium game over the deep-game, and for sure over his running. 

So how does one do that? 

Seems to me that they’ll need an above-average OL, to give him extra time that other QBs don’t need, and otherwise avoid deep WRs so that he’s not encouraged to go deep every play.  Besides, Brown and Foster should serve that role fine if Brown is really what the narrative says he is.  Defense sure isn’t going to do anything at all for Allen.

I don’t see how they can avoid drafting two OL-men with their 1st-rounder and then again with the 2nd or 3rd.   TE's almost categorically don't work out to their draft status when drafted in round 1 much less that high in round 1.  TE is a poor odds-on proposition.  Besides, good blocking TEs can be had on day-3 easily.  Otherwise the two most productive TEs from last year's draft were drafted in rounds 4 & 5.  This is homework that the organization should be doing.  

The one thing that’s for sure is that feeding the problem isn’t going to correct it.  Remember, no franchise QB has anything but a very good short-medium game, and even non-franchise QBs that are average, all have decent short-medium games, far better than Allen had last season.  It is cause for tremendous concern.  If Allen doesn't work out, at the cost to get "their guy," McBeane are toast and we're back at square-one.  

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Should be our 2nd and 3rd round picks.  Probably won't be there, I know.  Our first round selection has to be, without a doubt, a blue chip DT, whomever that may be.  Kyle Williams retired AND we got ran on pretty bad against Leonard Fournette and our rematch with the Paytoilets.  We need big beef on the interior of the D-line to keep our LBs from getting buried.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000992352/Leonard-Fournette-s-toughest-runs-vs-the-Bills-Week-12

Would love to somehow get Bosa, have Hock slip to 2nd round and Isabella to 3rd. Never happen but would be amazing.

36 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

While I am not keen on drafting Metcalf either, I think it is unfair to say his route running is lazy.  He is very young and missed time with injuries- he may develop into a better route runner.  I don't think that there is any lack of effort in Metcalf.

Donald is a true exception.  Maybe Oliver is too, but pointing out 1 exception to a general rule doesn't invalidate the idea that there are very few 281 lb DTs in the NFL for a reason.

I’m never a fan of leaning on exceptions to compare players either either, but he has more in common with Donald than his weight. I think there are better comparisons out there though when you watch him play  (Geno Atkins comes to mind)

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I normally agree with you on this, but people keep forgetting DK was on his way to a big season but had the neck injury.  He's not just a combine warrior.  I had been saying all offseason long before the combine he was likely going to be the top WR on the board come draft day, and many others here and in the media said the same thing.  Its not like the combine took an obscure guy and brought him into the light.  

People who don't know a lot about him check his stats and don't check the context.  So I get while at first glance he looks underwhelming from production side, but had he not have gotten hurt he would be talked about as a top 5 pick even before the combine and would have even more Calvin and Julio comparisons.  

Like I said, I am not a fan of combine heroes either, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.  DK has immense potential and is not just a combine hero.  None of that guarantees success, but he is certainly a better prospect than just a guy who did well at the combine.  

Any concerns with the neck injury?

11 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Last time I ran the 40 it was measured with the 2014, 2015, and 2016 calendars.  

But I finished.  

Better than I did, was going to race my boy for fun...3 strides in I felt the hammy I pulled years ago start to go.

It was "go", 3 strides and a bunch of hops on one leg off the track, with my boy laughing.

Yep... I'm old.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Just pointing out that that doesnt meen he wont be successful.  He looked pretty dominant from what I have seen.  Just college talent, but thats all any of these prospects are against.  If you got some gametape that shows him getting shut down I would appreciate a link.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was totally against Ed Oliver because he did zero in the games i watched and he acted the fool on the sidelines, but that short shuttle and athleticism are hard to over look . Hes still jot my favorite but i wont be pissed if we draft him.

Do not EVAR let the combine or draft days or private workouts override what a player did when it mattered.  I too have misgivings about Oliver and his measurables don't eliminate them.  I'm thankful that team brass have so many opportunities to observe and talk with prospects.  If he's the pick I'll bite my tongue and hope I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

DK Metcalf 

Anyone from Alabama, they seem to play so much in college they end up injured or lack motivation in the pros. 

8 minutes ago, switz1610 said:

Wasn't the problem w/ Maybin that he was undersized?

One of them, but not even close to the real issues. Which is why comparing him to Burns (I don’t get the Sweat comparison) makes little sense 

2 minutes ago, Yav said:

DK Metcalf 

Anyone from Alabama, they seem to play so much in college they end up injured or lack motivation in the pros. 

Not true of all, especially Jacobs 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

It's not really a question of wanting or not-wanting anyone, it's more a question of how best to move the team forward.  

All, or at least close to all of the talk about transitioning from last season to this one revolves around Allen and "giving him the tools he needs..." etc.  Unpopular here is that much of Allen's woes actually have much to do with him, but the truth is that it's some of both, the percentages of which can be argued.  

Everyone knows that Allen's deep game is fine.  Brown had one TD last season of over 21 yards (33) in Baltimore and only one, that one, over 30 in his last three seasons there.  So clearly there's a disconnect between the veracity of Brown being some kind of monster deep-threat.  

Allen himself only threw two TD passes for longer than 31 yards last season which also reinforces the notion that games aren't routinely won on deep-balls.  One of those two games was won on defense, not offense with 14 points.  

Correcting Allen's play is far more important than winning a couple of more games while failing to do the former.  If Allen improves notably and the team goes 6-10 then McBeane will conitinue to be around.  But if we finish 8-8 and Allen plays no better or only marginally better than he did last season, which would be well below-average, evident that he's a huge project, that won't bode well for them and their time in Buffalo.  

So the question becomes how to correct Allen's play.  Better "tools?"  Blocking?  It can all be debated. 

But if Allen's going to progress and improve, he's absolutely going to have to hone his short-medium game.  He left an awful lot of yards on the field last season, I'd guess 50+ on average, which is a ton, simply because he couldn't find wide-open receivers short, many on plays that would have gone for big gains.  Was it his "tools" then?  ... because they were wide open which is all you can ask and expect a RB, WR, or TE to do.  

So what's the draft strategy for that?  A deep-game WR?  I don't think so.  Defense?  Not sure how.   A deep-WR simply feeds an addiction that is part of the problem and which masks reality.  

Allen had more time-to-throw by a statistical country mile than any QB in the league last year according to NFL.com's Next Gen Stats   

It seems to me that they need to do several things.  First, figure out how to get into his head and correct years of patterned steady-state play by which Allen has relied on his athleticism and deep-arm to do what he's done,  in leagues where those assets were all the difference, and whatever that is and to whatever unimpressive extent he's done it generally speaking.  

Secondly, that process is very likely going to involve settling him down and having him realize that there's a short-game out there that will ultimately result in more yards than the deep-game, at the same time somehow get him to try to favor that short-medium game over the deep-game, and for sure over his running. 

So how does one do that? 

Seems to me that they’ll need an above-average OL, to give him extra time that other QBs don’t need, and otherwise avoid deep WRs so that he’s not encouraged to go deep every play.  Besides, Brown and Foster should serve that role fine if Brown is really what the narrative says he is.  Defense sure isn’t going to do anything at all for Allen.

I don’t see how they can avoid drafting two OL-men with their 1st-rounder and then again with the 2nd or 3rd.   TE's almost categorically don't work out to their draft status when drafted in round 1 much less that high in round 1.  TE is a poor odds-on proposition.  Besides, good blocking TEs can be had on day-3 easily.  Otherwise the two most productive TEs from last year's draft were drafted in rounds 4 & 5.  This is homework that the organization should be doing.  

The one thing that’s for sure is that feeding the problem isn’t going to correct it.  Remember, no franchise QB has anything but a very good short-medium game, and even non-franchise QBs that are average, all have decent short-medium games, far better than Allen had last season.  It is cause for tremendous concern.  If Allen doesn't work out, at the cost to get "their guy," McBeane are toast and we're back at square-one.  

This is pretty good but I bet there's a way for you to make this more about how you don't want Allen and less about this years draft.