Which Prospects Do You NOT Want The Bills To Draft?

So many names have been thrown around here and now we are seeing some of the mock drafts come out.  There’s a lot of players that fans either want or want to avoid like the plague!

To be honest, if you would have asked me last year I would have put Josh Allen (the QB from Wyoming....not the LB from Kentucky) on this list.  But in the end I’m glad he was my selection.  

Here are two choices - neither which will be very popular:

1. Eddie Oliver - he is a physical freak, no doubt but I’m not so sure if he’s the 3 technique DT that we need.  Does not have the technique nor the size to get a pass rush from the middle.  He could transition to DE and have the flexibility that McDermott covets.  But I am most concerned about his smaller size and wonder if there are better players for the Bills specific need at DT.  

2.  DK Metcalf - another physical freak.  What concerns me about DK is there were several games where he was quiet and then he’d make a huge catch.  The lack of consistency is concerning as is his ability to run routes.  He is not running a full route tree and instead just runs fly routes.  That’s what he does best. The Bills already have 2 WR’s who could do this in Foster and Brown.  Also there have been bigger WR’s like DK who have not translate too well. 

Like I said I could be wrong but that’s my impression.  How about you?

• Like (+1) 2

I’m with the OP, I am leery of both Metcalf (production and injuries) and Oliver (under-sized).  I’m not saying that I would hate either, just that I am more worried about those two than the seeming majority of TBD who love these two.  Other potential 1st round picks that I’d shy away from: 

Rashan Gary: With his physical abilities, why was he not dominant?  Some suggestions that he played all season with an injured shoulder might allow a team to justify his lower than expected production.

Brian Burns: To his credit, he put on at least 20 lbs of muscle in the last 3 months, weighing nearly 250 at the combine.  But, can anyone look at his games from 2018 and really believe that he weighed more than 225-230?  If he really put on 20lbs of muscle in less than 3 months, then

1 - can he really maintain that weight through a season?

2 - Did he have steroid help to put on that much muscle?  Can anyone really put on that much muscle in 2.5 months naturally?

• Like (+1) 2

Gary is a concern.  I'm going to say if they stay at 9 and pick an OT that would be a mistake.  None of the prospects are dominating LT prospects.  Right now the transition from college spread to NFL effects the Lineman the most.  

20 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

To be honest, if you would have asked me last year I would have put Josh Allen (the QB from Wyoming....not the LB from Kentucky) on this list.  

See what I mean by context? 

Obviously its NOT the LB from Kentucky... Completely different draft years. Jeesh.

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So many names have been thrown around here and now we are seeing some of the mock drafts come out.  There’s a lot of players that fans either want or want to avoid like the plague!

To be honest, if you would have asked me last year I would have put Josh Allen (the QB from Wyoming....not the LB from Kentucky) on this list.  But in the end I’m glad he was my selection.  

Here are two choices - neither which will be very popular:

1. Eddie Oliver - he is a physical freak, no doubt but I’m not so sure if he’s the 3 technique DT that we need.  Does not have the technique nor the size to get a pass rush from the middle.  He could transition to DE and have the flexibility that McDermott covets.  But I am most concerned about his smaller size and wonder if there are better players for the Bills specific need at DT.  

2.  DK Metcalf - another physical freak.  What concerns me about DK is there were several games where he was quiet and then he’d make a huge catch.  The lack of consistency is concerning as is his ability to run routes.  He is not running a full route tree and instead just runs fly routes.  That’s what he does best. The Bills already have 2 WR’s who could do this in Foster and Brown.  Also there have been bigger WR’s like DK who have not translate too well. 

Like I said I could be wrong but that’s my impression.  How about you?

I'm all in on this.  With respect to DK, I am leery of guys whose biggest claim to fame is great measurable and a stellar combine performance.  It is mind boggling to me that people would ignore on field performance and favor a combine performance. 

Oliver reminds me of Dion Jordan.  I remember watching his tape and thinking that Jordan either made an amazing play or was completely blown up.  There was no in between.  He would make these stellar plays, then be an absolute liability the rest of the time.  That is pretty much Oliver.  He is either making a tackle for a loss, or getting completely removed from the play.  

Well someone had to say it. Kyler Murray? Right? 

Too small, system quarterback, he may die on the field if Aaron Donald sacks him too hard. 

I kid kid. 

For me it’s absolutely Metcalf. I’m having weird flashbacks to the Maybin pick. Obviously kinda different but still the same premise for me. Very little production on tape and an elite combine. If I’m picking in the top 10 I gotta have a player who was productive and elite in college. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm all in on this.  With respect to DK, I am leery of guys whose biggest claim to fame is great measurable and a stellar combine performance.  It is mind boggling to me that people would ignore on field performance and favor a combine performance. 

Oliver reminds me of Dion Jordan.  I remember watching his tape and thinking that Jordan either made an amazing play or was completely blown up.  There was no in between.  He would make these stellar plays, then be an absolute liability the rest of the time.  That is pretty much Oliver.  He is either making a tackle for a loss, or getting completely removed from the play.  

I don’t see this at all.  Crazy how people can see things in 2 completely different lights.  Oliver’s motor is among the best in the draft.  He chases plays down all over the field.  

Jordan never had a motor.  Ever.   He had a huge wingspan that had the league drooling.  That’s all.  Oliver and Jordan is such a strange comparison imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I normally agree with you on this, but people keep forgetting DK was on his way to a big season but had the neck injury.  He's not just a combine warrior.  I had been saying all offseason long before the combine he was likely going to be the top WR on the board come draft day, and many others here and in the media said the same thing.  Its not like the combine took an obscure guy and brought him into the light.  

People who don't know a lot about him check his stats and don't check the context.  So I get while at first glance he looks underwhelming from production side, but had he not have gotten hurt he would be talked about as a top 5 pick even before the combine and would have even more Calvin and Julio comparisons.  

Like I said, I am not a fan of combine heroes either, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.  DK has immense potential and is not just a combine hero.  None of that guarantees success, but he is certainly a better prospect than just a guy who did well at the combine.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I normally agree with you on this, but people keep forgetting DK was on his way to a big season but had the neck injury.  He's not just a combine warrior.  I had been saying all offseason long before the combine he was likely going to be the top WR on the board come draft day, and many others here and in the media said the same thing.  Its not like the combine took an obscure guy and brought him into the light.  

People who don't know a lot about him check his stats and don't check the context.  So I get while at first glance he looks underwhelming from production side, but had he not have gotten hurt he would be talked about as a top 5 pick even before the combine and would have even more Calvin and Julio comparisons.  

Like I said, I am not a fan of combine heroes either, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.  DK has immense potential and is not just a combine hero.  None of that guarantees success, but he is certainly a better prospect than just a guy who did well at the combine.  

That is a pretty stellar point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1