Last April's 'Bills Draft Josh Allen in RD 1' Thread Revisited

Moral of the story is that people should stop overreacting. We don't even know what we have in Josh now, so most reactions in that thread (and also in general draft thread) were just silly.

I am really curious if people can learn on their mistakes and act differently this year. Whether we stay at 9, trade up or trade down, and whoever we chose, I am pretty sure there will be tons of work and hundreds of hours of spent by competent people behind it, but I still expect posters to be angry whether we draft Jonah Williams, Hockenson, Gary, Metcalf, Oliver or anybody else. No matter who they chose, I will believe in them and hope they did a right thing (as I did with Josh).

That being said, I will be furious if they draft CB at 9 ?

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Even with that throw I'm still happy we picked him over Rosen.

Dude don't be that guy who always shows up just to moan and complain. You're better than that.

Not at all. I've said many times even though I wanted anyone but Allen and wanted Rosen, I'm happy today that we picked Allen. 

I've always been fair to Allen. I remember people getting all over me for comparing him to Cam Newton well before we drafted him. While their styles were similar I never saw an ability to make plays like Cam Newton did in college. That's what shocked me about Allen's rookie season and probably shocked all his haters. We just didn't see that side of Allen. I'm very happy we have him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GREAT assessment bud......aren't they ALL projects to a certain extent?....as Steve Young (yup, HIM) said, "more collegiate QB's fail versus succeed at the NFL level due to the speed and complexity of the game"...don't see where ANY come with a warranty or money back guarantee.....this kid is the "no guts no glory....no bawls no blue chips" type of moxy we are in dire need of IMO...

Thanks! 

What I think a lot of evaluators missed with their assessment with Allen was when you look at his backstory, Josh Allen was brought up on a farm and is no stranger to hard work as his dad ingrained a work ethic, up before daylight and home after dark. Football is a cakewalk compared to the life of farm work.

Josh grew up a Fresno State fan and tailgated with his parents. He attended the Bulldogs' summer camps and even retrieved the kicking tee during a few games (former coach Pat Hill once yelled at him to get off the field). One of Josh's favourite moments was meeting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr. Brett Favre is his football hero.

What I think those evaluators missed on was just how much Josh loves the game. In a time when so many players are so concerned about money, I think Josh Allen would play NFL Football for free.

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Thanks! 

What I think a lot of evaluators missed with their assessment with Allen was when you look at his backstory, Josh Allen was brought up on a farm and is no stranger to hard work as his dad ingrained a work ethic, up before daylight and home after dark. Football is a cakewalk compared to the life of farm work.

Josh grew up a Fresno State fan and tailgated with his parents. He attended the Bulldogs' summer camps and even retrieved the kicking tee during a few games (former coach Pat Hill once yelled at him to get off the field). One of Josh's favourite moments was meeting Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr. Brett Favre is his football hero.

What I think those evaluators missed on was just how much Josh loves the game. In a time when so many players are so concerned about money, I think Josh Allen would play NFL Football for free.

...thanks AGAIN for additional info!...did not know the depth and extent of his backstory....truly grounded..... other major reasons why I like this kid are humility and respect for the game....no RG II1/8 "ME" pressers, no dumbazz fedoras and zoot suits at his pressers (hmmm...who is that?).........no diva like hissy fits as in the Steelers' "Three Musketeers (minus 2 now)".....all football business...........

19 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

the best part of that thread is some idiot with over 11,000 posts actually changed their name to "WRONG JOSH".

????

I never cared enough to look, but who was that?

He must have changed his name back or just gone away.

I was on vacation that week so I didn't have the opportunity to be wrong about this pick. That said, I wouldn't know squat about college players because i never watch. Just keeping it real folks. In fact, I dont have a clue about any player coming in this year either. I like it better that way. I can do my own study after the pick with no prejudice. 

49 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I never cared enough to look, but who was that?

He must have changed his name back or just gone away.

I wondered if it was Kdiggz who changed his name to wrong josh. He was extremely adamant about Rosen over Allen and never returned after the pick was made. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Wow that would be a terrible evaluation.  He was QB2 the whole time.  I have to wait for ABs best friend to retire before I see if my QB3 developes.  Darnold may actually proove me wrong but I doubt it.

Sure, tell us what account in that thread is your old one.?

I could be wrong but Robb seemed to show up about the time Ryan Lewis made the roster.  I was actually hoping there was an actual Robb connection as he is one of my all time favorite Bills.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

Why jump the gun? Still too early for gloating.

Why am I not suprised that YOU posted this

Im suprised it took me so long to post in that thread.....I think I wanted to find out what ppl closer to Rosen (I was to be up to his school a short time later for a event)

Rosen was not well liked at his school......."Aarogant" "Entitled" some of the names that were thrown around

Josh Allen was well liked by me for reasons that didnt all point to football......we come from the same area.....same upbringing......I was really rooting for the kid no matter WHERE he went but was even more pleasantly suprised when it was us.

Still work to do......but he has not dissapointed

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Why am I not suprised that YOU posted this

Im suprised it took me so long to post in that thread.....I think I wanted to find out what ppl closer to Rosen (I was to be up to his school a short time later for a event)

Rosen was not well liked at his school......."Aarogant" "Entitled" some of the names that were thrown around

Josh Allen was well liked by me for reasons that didnt all point to football......we come from the same area.....same upbringing......I was really rooting for the kid no matter WHERE he went but was even more pleasantly suprised when it was us.

Still work to do......but he has not dissapointed

Even a know-nothing average fan such as myself can see this throw is caused by poor mechanics, you're supposed to step toward the target, Allen steps upfield here while throwing to the sideline. Seems correctable

17 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Even a know-nothing average fan such as myself can see this throw is caused by poor mechanics, you're supposed to step toward the target, Allen steps upfield here while throwing to the sideline. Seems correctable

It looks to me like it just got away from him......

I have seen passes get away from Tom Brady as well :P