Last April's 'Bills Draft Josh Allen in RD 1' Thread Revisited

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So basically you would have roasted him then if you were posting here at the time. 

Actually after watching all the snaps I could see why they were so enamoured with him. There was a point in one of the games that took place in the middle of a snow storm where he led a scoring drive towards the end and then ran to the sideline and was getting in his teammates faces, ultra fired up. That was the point when I began to look forward to seeing him play for the Bills. 

As lots of people said last season, it's not just the stuff on the field that excites me about Allen, it's his whole demeanour during the games. Love his attitude and competitive streak.  

• Like (+1) 1

As someone who watches ZERO college football I always rely on what I read on the message boards and watching the combine and so on. By the time the draft is here I at least know who the top 50 players or so are. According to what I read here I wanted Rosen, but what I saw with my own eyes ... I was very intrigued by Allen. When Allen was selected I just smiled because I knew Bills fans everywhere were flipping the F out and I was ready to give the benefit of the doubt. One year later and I couldn't be happier with Allen. I truly believe he is our guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

As lots of people said last season, it's not just the stuff on the field that excites me about Allen, it's his whole demeanour during the games. Love his attitude and competitive streak.  

True. But Tim Tebow was fiery and competitive too. I'm glad Allen turned a 180 after his injury and started to ball out.

Like Moorman4jesus, for me, at the time, Allen was the one QB above all that I did not want the Bills to draft.

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting revisit..

Still early to really be sure about JA, but in hindsight I can say a year later that I’m glad they picked him. over Rosen..

Some great takes but the best one I saw was the one that said that at least JA was walking into a solid quarterback room with AJ and Peterman..

Yeah, way too early to say if anyone was completely right or wrong, but always interesting to see the early reactions. Looking forward to logging on during this year's draft.

Would be interesting to go back and see the initial reactions when EJ or maybe Maybin were drafted!

• Like (+1) 2

Reading through the thread, the main thing that strikes me is how QUICKLY most of the members in this thread (and Bills fans at large) did a 180 on Josh Allen.

That thread is just full of heartbreak, people saying "I'm gonna be sick", swearing off Bills fanhood forever, calling for the firing of Beane, etc, etc...

Fast forward a year, and now?

For the most part, Bills fans LOVE Josh Allen! Call it stockholm syndrome, call it wishful thinking, call it a survival tactic...at the end of the day, Allen won people over pretty quickly. The biggest reason, I think, is his heart. I mean, we all saw what he could do PHYSICALLY, sure. Running around Kiko Alonso all day and hurdling over Anthony Barr didn't hurt...but it's the way that he lays it all out there on the field and isn't afraid and does absolutely everything within his power to win that has endeared him to so many, so fast. A credit to Josh, his character, and his play as a rookie.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Reading through the thread, the main thing that strikes me is how QUICKLY most of the members in this thread (and Bills fans at large) did a 180 on Josh Allen.

That thread is just full of heartbreak, people saying "I'm gonna be sick", swearing off Bills fanhood forever, calling for the firing of Beane, etc, etc...

Fast forward a year, and now?

For the most part, Bills fans LOVE Josh Allen! Call it stockholm syndrome, call it wishful thinking, call it a survival tactic...at the end of the day, Allen won people over pretty quickly. The biggest reason, I think, is his heart. I mean, we all saw what he could do PHYSICALLY, sure. Running around Kiko Alonso all day and hurdling over Anthony Barr didn't hurt...but it's the way that he lays it all out there on the field and isn't afraid and does absolutely everything within his power to win that has endeared him to so many, so fast. A credit to Josh, his character, and his play as a rookie.

I love Allen, but I also loved the pick on draft night and was relieved we didn’t take the one guy I hated...Rosen.

I can’t wait until Camp

• Like (+1) 6

Happy to read that my take didn’t reveal much, which was exactly my take. I had watched the tape, seen the interviews and watched his pro day and saw him as a project with major upside. I saw Rosen as a higher guarantee to be a long term starter but not one who would be leading the Bills to a Super Bowl. Definite trepidation towards both of them so I was highly “wait and see” at that point.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love Allen, but I also loved the pick on draft night and was relieved we didn’t take the one guy I hated...Rosen.

I can’t wait until Camp

I was an "anyone but Allen" guy.

Once Mayfield and Darnold were off the board, I wanted Rosen to be the pick. When it was announced that "The Buffalo Bills select Josh...", the 1 second between the words "Josh" and "Allen" took 10 years off my life. I wanted it so badly to be Rosen. 

At this point -- with the caveat that its still too early to say and will be for another year or two -- it looks like I was wrong, and the Allen folks were right. 

If that turns out to be the case, it will be the most excited I've ever been in my life to be completely wrong.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the Monday after the Titans game last year, the kids and I head to the airport for our flight home.  A certain 70's era ex-Bill is also awaiting a flight and talking loudly on his phone. 

He is basically saying Josh Allen sucks and will never amount to anything and that the Bills are going to be bad for a long time because of this move.  Right then and there, I became a Josh Allen fan and I really wanted the Bills to get Darnold.

Josh is a developmental prospect who showed immense promise last year.  After the bye, he matured right before our eyes.  He has a great support system around him now.  All is in place for him to progress...but my caution is don't go too far the other way...don't get irrationally exuberant but let him grow.

Edited by JoeF

I was frustrated we didn't take Rosen at the time, but later realized why we did not. His attitude and statements afterwards were pretty self explanatory as to part of the reason behind the decision. I also was frustrated because we gave up our 2nd's for a guy I thought would have been there at #12. When the post draft reports started leaking out I realized that the others who told me he wouldn't have made it that far were correct in their assessments. After just watching the young man from the time he stepped on the field, the way he changes the energy of the whole team, and obviously what we saw from him I am as happy as I could be. The young man is going to be special and he's our QB. It's the first time since the days of Jim Kelly that I have full confidence in a signal caller wearing a Bills' uni. 

• Like (+1) 2

This goes to show why all the pre draft hype and media can sway a fan base. Not that Allen is Mr Elite or anything yet, but reading his stats and the draft gurus pre draft influences people so badly they flip out “knowing” it’s a bad pick or bad value etc etc. 

This thread also goes to show how little faith people had in this front office. As I said earlier Allen hasn’t shown he’s ready to be in the next elite group to takeover after the current elite group retires but his rookie year he showed flashes of being able to take that step. I have always found it kind of funny how passionate people get over the draft and what they read and hear about players and how that sparks the debate over who is right and wrong and a decent amount never even watch these kids play. Allen is mostly what his scouting reports say, but I think given the small sample size he has shown his floor is pretty dang good and a team can be built to win around his style of play. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I had a meltdown i wanted rosen lmfao looks like we probably made the right move imo

I’m right there with you. When the pick was announced I did the whole Michael Scott “NO,god no, please god no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” while walking out of buddies house ??

My thing is I wanted someone to come in right away and was pro ready, and knowing Allen was a project I personally wasn’t in the mood to wait 2-3 years. But, like you said we more than likely made the right choice.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

This goes to show why all the pre draft hype and media can sway a fan base. Not that Allen is Mr Elite or anything yet, but reading his stats and the draft gurus pre draft influences people so badly they flip out “knowing” it’s a bad pick or bad value etc etc. 

This thread also goes to show how little faith people had in this front office. As I said earlier Allen hasn’t shown he’s ready to be in the next elite group to takeover after the current elite group retires but his rookie year he showed flashes of being able to take that step. I have always found it kind of funny how passionate people get over the draft and what they read and hear about players and how that sparks the debate over who is right and wrong and a decent amount never even watch these kids play. Allen is mostly what his scouting reports say, but I think given the small sample size he has shown his floor is pretty dang good and a team can be built to win around his style of play. 

Seriously. Who'd have predicted the Cards would be drafting another QB and dumping Rosen after a handful of starts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So this is why I’ve been getting new likes and beers emoticons on my old posts loI 

That was fun to read again, funny I thought the freak outs made up more like 50% of the comments...but looking at it now, freak out posts was definitely in the majority.

I couldn’t believe how bad people were melting down then and now it’s funny to look back.

Everybody has their own opinion, and I got that a number of fans were disappointed in the pick. However, what surprised me, was the sheer volume of posters that wanted to completely write this kid off before he ever even stepped foot on an NFL field.

Also interesting how some of the most vocal posters, who were so absolutely certain Allen was going to be a complete bust, disappeared late in the season - rarely to be heard again on this forum, if at all....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2