If Josh Allen (the LB) Is Drafted By The Bills What Name Will Be On His Jersey?

Can you imagine the silliness that will ensue if the Bills draft Josh Allen, Kentucky LB in the 1st round.  

It will likely be the first time in NFL History that a football team has drafted a player by the same name in back-to-back drafts.  Also it will probably be the first time that two players are on the same team with the same name - spelled exactly the same.  And if they trade up for him, it certainly would be the first time a team traded up for a player with the same name in back-to-back drafts.

Then there's the question of the name of the back of his jersey.  They can't put "Allen" because of Josh Allen the QB.  Will they put "J. Allen?"  Maybe but I'm not sure considering that "J. Allen" could also be the QB.  Putting "Josh Allen" on the back of the jersey might not work for the same reason.   Maybe they put his middle initial like "J.M. Allen?"  Hopefully the QB doesn't have the same initial.  

Then there's the issue of how writers and broadcasters will distinguish between the two Josh Allen's.  Do they give the LB a nickname like "Flash Allen" or start referring to them as "Josh Allen the QB" and "Josh Allen the LB?"  

Can you imagine when the press requests an interview to Derek Boyko?

Boyko:  Who do you want to interview?

Press:  We would like to interview Josh

Boyko:  Josh who?

Press:  Josh Allen

Boyko:  Which Josh Allen?

Press:  The quarterback

Boyko:  Oh I thought you meant the LB.  He's waiting right here.

I think that Josh Allen (the LB) goes high in the first round before the Bills have a chance, but if he does end up get ready for the "Who's on First" jokes!!!!

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

Just now, the_D said:

I'm not so sure there is even a need, as the are on opposite sides of the ball.

There certainly is a need to specify both in text and audio in most situations.   

"Josh Allen is one of the great young talents on the Buffalo Bills"

You have no idea whether it's the QB or LB.  

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

Josh Allen the LB can be referred to as Josh Allen Squared, or Josh squared, or Allen squared. He will thereforth be written as Josh Allen^2

LOL they just need to change Josh's name.....Josh Allen the LB that is.   Josh has earned the right to keep his name....I'm talking about Josh Allen the QB

Just now, LikeIGiveADarn said:

I just can't wait for the trick play when Josh Allen shovels the ball to Josh Allen, who then throws a pass to Josh Allen in the back of the endzone.

The fans will go crazy for Josh Allen when that play happens

Just now, #34fan said:

He'd be such a terrible fit, I wouldn't care.

Why a terrible fit? 

The humor of two high-profile players, drafted back-to-back, with the same exact name makes me want to see it happen!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We had Mario and Kyle line up next to one another for a few seasons.  Nobody seemed to get those two confused.

They have different first names.  You can differentiate.  “Tackle by Mario Williams, with the assist from Kyle Williams.”  It would be a different story if they were both named “Mario Williams.”  

Kyle would make a pretty cool “Mario” though.  

2 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Allen. They'd wear different numbers. Worse case they call him by his number. 

Can you have the same last name on a jersey w/o a first initial?

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

We all managed to survive having multiple guys named Williams on the team at the same time without society collapsing into utter chaos so I think we will somehow get by.

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We had Mario and Kyle line up next to one another for a few seasons.  Nobody seemed to get those two confused.

wasn't Aaron Williams also on that team?

• Like (+1) 1

If they played in the same position group, then..maybe? But different sides of the ball, there shouldn't be too much confusion. Unless you were following via radio broadcast and forgot who had the ball and something like  "Josh Allen with the pick 6!". You'd be confused for about 30 seconds. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

We all managed to survive having multiple guys named Williams on the team at the same time without society collapsing into utter chaos so I think we will somehow get by.

wasn't Aaron Williams also on that team?

They didn’t have the same exact name.  Spelled the same exact way.  It’s going to get confusing unless the LB changes his name.

Case and point:

”The Bills made a great draft pick in Josh Allen.”

Get used to saying “The QB or the LB?”