NFL Stadiums 2018

TSNBDSC

Those are some nice stadiums but I hope we all remember that Buffalo is not some metropolis, we are a blue collar town. We care about women, football, chicken wings and pizza. I hope we build a stadium that reflects that. We need not keep up with the Krafts and Jones's of the league, we'll lose every time. Just build something nifty.

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Those are some nice stadiums but I hope we all remember that Buffalo is not some metropolis, we are a blue collar town. We care about women, football, chicken wings and pizza. I hope we build a stadium that reflects that. We need not keep up with the Krafts and Jones's of the league, we'll lose every time. Just build something nifty.

I agree. Personally I think they renovate and stay where they are.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TSNBDSC said:

Not sure if even a full renovation ( which the county passed on in favor of a cheap spruce up last time) makes much sense. The current facility is not coverable, so it would give very little pricing power in return for the still significant investment required. The entire point of a new stadium is to bring the ticket pricing structure out of the league basement. No reason to do it otherwise. That cannot be overstated. 

2 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

11th biggest stadium in the nfl and it’s used 10 times a year we do not need a new stadium. 

The stadium has too much capacity ( and no climate control ) for the pricing structure required in today’s NFL. Whether you or I or anyone on this board thinks the team needs it or not will have zero impact on whether one is built. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TSNBDSC said:

From my understanding the difficulty with the retro fit is that its built underground.  The issues are what the fans dont see.  It's more structural issues.  To do a true remodel would cost the same or possibly less than a new stadium.   If they can get the sport gambling passed I believe that will be integrated into the new venue.  They could theoretically have an open sports book year round and drive traffic and revenue to the area.  Thar seems to be the plan and make their own sports mecca in down town Buffalo.  A stadium similar to Detiot or Indy is likely and will increase the revenue for those late season games.

• Like (+1) 2

I see us building something like the Colts stadium.  It’s been awhile, but at that time it was $700 mil. Or so.  If we remain under a billion, everyone will be happy.  The biggest thing is they buy enough space so we don’t lose our tailgate experience, as they probably would build in the first ward.  Land is cheap and the state could give a sweetheart deal on taxes if so.

we’ll see.  NF doesn’t have the infrastructure, and the Ralph has seen it’s dayby 2023.  That will be 52 years at Rich Stadium.  Believe me I love where it is now as whole family lives in Hamburg and OP, but probably not practical.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I could see a Lucas Oil-type stadium ($700 million to build in 2008) fitting in very well in the Cobblestone District...

Image result for how much did lucas oil stadium cost

Problem is this is 2019 NOT 2008. Construction costs today are gonna vastly increase the cost of any new facility. Is there a ton of available parking for "tailgaters" that is not shown in this photo? 

How bout the new Tottenham Stadium as a model?

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-stadium/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_Stadium

But whatever look you want, you should plan on it costing upwards of $1.5 billion.

11 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Problem is this is 2019 NOT 2008. Construction costs today are gonna vastly increase the cost of any new facility.

According to the Turner Commercial Construction Cost Index, $700 million in 2008 is equivalent to $850 million today.   Assuming a new stadium got underway in 2024, that would be about $950 million...maybe less without the retractable roof.

Tottenham Stadium cost $850 million pounds or $1.1 billion USD.

Edited by Lurker

4 minutes ago, The Senator said:

If we hadn’t wasted the entire ‘Buffalo $Billion’ on the Tesla plant at Riverbend, we’d have plenty of money for any kind of stadium we want.

Not an issue.   There's always enough money in NYS...

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

According to the Turner Commercial Construction Cost Index, $700 million in 2008 is equivalent to $850 million today. 

Does the construction index account for WNY politics incompetence** and graft? I don't think so.

Todays dollars, a 750 million dollar project nationally equals 1+ billion here, I reckon.

** We couldn't even get a Chick-Fil-A in our airport for goodness sakes.

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

I could see a Lucas Oil-type stadium ($700 million to build in 2008) fitting in very well in the Cobblestone District...

Image result for how much did lucas oil stadium cost

...cost in 2019 dollars is $842 million......apologize for not seeing the earlier post about 2019 dollars...another senior moment........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...cost in 2019 dollars is $842 million...........

Thanks Old Timer.  I found the same after posting yesterday.  If split between the state and Pegulas, could make sense.  I’m not saying 50% each,just some kind of split.  After all, it is the NYS NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1

I can understand the just fix up the current stadium crowd.. Nostalgia and all that. 

It’s 2019 though.. Terry and Kim have been all about buffalo and building the area up. You build a state of the art domed stadium. You get a Super Bowl.. One super bowl is enough chaos $$$$$ to fill all those political hands for the next 10-15 years. And of course the selling point how it can really boost the economy of the area. I know the stress and damage it causes to a city as well, however the revenue is like nothing else in the world for all the local businesses. I haven’t lived in New York for 10 years so I’m not in the loop as I once was but I fully would expect a state of the art facility that can be used year round and host tons of events. 

15 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I can understand the just fix up the current stadium crowd.. Nostalgia and all that. 

It’s 2019 though.. Terry and Kim have been all about buffalo and building the area up. You build a state of the art domed stadium. You get a Super Bowl.. One super bowl is enough chaos $$$$$ to fill all those political hands for the next 10-15 years. And of course the selling point how it can really boost the economy of the area. I know the stress and damage it causes to a city as well, however the revenue is like nothing else in the world for all the local businesses. I haven’t lived in New York for 10 years so I’m not in the loop as I once was but I fully would expect a state of the art facility that can be used year round and host tons of events. 

Superbowl is not a guarantee. A storm in the last five/ten years forced a game to be played in Detroit because the stadium could not be reached. Roads in downtown are middling to horrible so access is already going to be a problem . Even if you have a dome if it can't be reached because roads are clogged with snow or very bad traffic the NFL won't award a Superbowl. Bad for the reputation of the league /game.