Putting Pets to Sleep

Ol Dirty B

10 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Lol no it's a reference to old dirty bastard of the wu tang clan. Don't think it's any better.

Odb before odb got hijacked by the wr was someone else.

A trainwreck, but someone with a unique personality that I for some reason like.

Edit- I changed it from thanks to laughing because your post is hilarious. 

You must be young brotha lol

Ol Dirty Chinese Restaurant, Dirt McGirt , ODB all Alias of the great Ol Dirty bastar* my friend ??

Edited by Buffalo716

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You must be young brotha lol

Ol Dirty Chinese Restaurant, Dirt McGirt , ODB all Alias of the great Ol Dirty bastar* my friend ??

Lol man you hit me with some stuff I didnt expect there. Idk why but dirt mcgert had always been my favorite. My original name was going to be Big Baby Jesus but I totally understand why it was getting blocked.

Thanks for all the words, you're a good guy. If you want to meet up at a game I owe you a few.

16 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Lol man you hit me with some stuff I didnt expect there. Idk why but dirt mcgert had always been my favorite. My original name was going to be Big Baby Jesus but I totally understand why it was getting blocked.

Thanks for all the words, you're a good guy. If you want to meet up at a game I owe you a few.

Hahahahah Big Baby Jesus was blocked?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hahahahah Big Baby Jesus was blocked?

Yep. Idk why I think the name is hilarious. I actually did a bracket and my dad is on some born again ***** he was pissed when that was my name. No surprise me and my brother also just trolled the ***** out of everybody in the competition. 

Never invited back, but I get big baby jesus being blocked. People are sensitive over that and i understand. I always said jesus gotta have a sense of humor.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:46 PM, Reed83HOF said:

It's not easy. Lost my first cat 3 years ago, she was 18, lost her sister in October, she was 21 neither were easy, but they had good long lives.

Up until March 1,we had a 1yr old pup and 5 cats (2-7 year olds from the same litter, 2-1.5 yr olds and a 6 month old). 28 days ago we lost my favorite little cat man Butters, he was 7. The pup brought flea into the house on Tuesday that week, we had to give the cats a topical and he looked to be in rough shape, lethargic and not eating (which isnot like him and could be a likely side effect from the frontline). Took him to the Vet Thursday and they ran some tests, found out he had an enlarged heart and the cause was not known, but it looked like it might be lymphoma, nope it was FIP (an uncurable fatal disease) he was gone Friday night. We took him to the vet and honestly put him down just before it got real bad as his body was shutting down. I'm still torn up over it. The other cats are too - going around looking for him and staying very close to us.

You will know when its time. My 18 yr old had kidney disease as she aged and he had her on subcutaneous fluids, but she just wasted away until she couldn't walk and would fall over. It was time and she knew too. We spent about $3k and we got about 1 extra month out of her, but it was a selfish decision on our part. The 21 yr old had the same ending, but we ended it sooner for her and feel much better we didn't let it dragon...

I've had lots of pets over the years, and, consequently, I've had to put down several of them.  The above is so true.  It's better to put a sick pet down too soon, especially an older one, than to wait too long. It's all about quality of life for the pet.

• Like (+1) 2

Brother, I and others have been heart broken over this before, as you are now.

I am so very sorry for this stress on you.

Your try to make your pets last days as pain free and as enjoyable as possible and never let on what is going to happen.  However, they know a little bit, but the vet makes it very easy on them.

...the pain is ours to endure.  However, it is worth it when you go back over how much joy they brought to the family...and you.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Wise words from a wise man.

No, just lessons I have learned the hard way. We have to keep moving forward, because we can never go back. Just take the best of what you have found with you as you move on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

When I was a kid we had a dog that was part of the family.  When he died we all grieved for him :(

My parents kept his ashes in their bedroom

When my Mom died, we buried his ashes with her.

I have not doubt the two of them are together :)

We had my dog's ashes in the curio in the living room for the last 12 years. When our pooch died last fall, we buried them together. I didn't want anyone just tossing the ashes from either dog.  If I planned on being buried (I don't), I'd have loved to have done the same for my dogs and me as you did for your mom and her dog.

@Ol Dirty B   I am very sorry for the loss of your much-beloved pet. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

The loss of a pet is the loss of a family member. People who don’t get that won’t understand. They are also missing out in many ways.. 

Well said.  Someone once said "Please let me live my life being the person my dog thinks I am."  That resonated with me.  My wife and I  have buried 8 dogs in since we've been together and it never gets easier but we always go right back out and get another one.  To say it's enriched our lives is an understatement of epic proportions.  No matter how horrible my day has been or what I've been through, my dogs are always thrilled to see me and let me know how much they love me.

Our oldest, Malcolm is a mutt from the streets who spent the first six years of his life living on the streets, never knowing kindness, love, or where his next meal was going to come from.  He still has significant PTSD issues but he now knows an easy life with food, a warm bed, and plenty of love.  He's almost 13 now and won't be with us much longer but I'm glad we got a chance to get to know him because he's a great guy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Well said.  Someone once said "Please let me live my life being the person my dog thinks I am."  That resonated with me.  My wife and I  have buried 8 dogs in since we've been together and it never gets easier but we always go right back out and get another one.  To say it's enriched our lives is an understatement of epic proportions.  No matter how horrible my day has been or what I've been through, my dogs are always thrilled to see me and let me know how much they love me.

Our oldest, Malcolm is a mutt from the streets who spent the first six years of his life living on the streets, never knowing kindness, love, or where his next meal was going to come from.  He still has significant PTSD issues but he now knows an easy life with food, a warm bed, and plenty of love.  He's almost 13 now and won't be with us much longer but I'm glad we got a chance to get to know him because he's a great guy.

We have that carved in a piece of stone in our house. Words to live by.......

So sorry for your loss ODB, my little buddy Harry is almost 14 and I feel crushed whenever I think about losing him. He is still active and happy but I know it is inevitable. I can only imagine what you are going through. Sucks.

• Sad 1

On 3/29/2019 at 7:33 PM, Ol Dirty B said:

Hey everyone. I know I'm not the greatest poster at times, totally get any annoyance I might cause people.

I'm posting this not for sympathy, because I know a lot of you and a lot of people deal with way worse. Honestly feel kind of guilty for how much it is bothering. Really just searching for advice I've been googling for weeks and haven't really found any good advice on the topic. I don't live with my childhood dog, shes still at my moms, my mother lives just a few miles away so I'm always around.

Anyways, my dog, shes 16, and she has been a task to take care of the last year almost. Not that we mind, we all really appreciate and given that besides my step dad we all work random hours. I work retail as does my brother, my moms a nurse. It has been to the point where we always make sure someone is with her to make sure she, the dog, is okay. She's not in pain, still loves to eat and see people.

Anyways for months, I've been dreading going over because you never know if that's going to be the day. Well two Tuesdays ago was the day. I came over and she greeted me. My brother told me it was the first shes stood up on her own in 3 days. She walked into me and fell and I felt awful. I've been over everyday since, they thought she was getting better but my mom called me today and said it's time. It's been an awful feeling for two weeks. She can't get up, still eating and wagging her tail so we have no idea what to do. You know what I mean? If she's still happy despite being as disabled as she is, how do you do that?

Idk I'm not a huge pet person, just wondering how you pet people do it or have any advice on moving on.

Sorry for the LAMP post, but I struggle talking about it in person especially when I know people who have recently lost loved ones or fighting cancer. We're really generally blessed. Not sure if this is the right place for the thread, again just seeking advice from those who been through it.

Edit- sorry just saw a very similar thread only a couple threads down. Feel free to merge or delete.

My advice would be to get a new pet ASAP. 

I was told by my vet and have seen it published several times that even though the emotional pain seems just too much to humanly bear, you should be present when it's time.  You don't want your loved one to be left all alone, in the care of just strangers.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I was told by my vet and have seen it published several times that even though the emotional pain seems just too much to humanly bear, you should be present when it's time.  You don't want your loved one to be left all alone, in the care of just strangers.  

Oh man, i get upset just thinking about that.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh man, i get upset just thinking about that.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

When my 16 year old pup went a year and a half ago I made sure I was not only there,  it held her in my arms when it was time. My wife was there in front of us. So not only was I holding her to make her feel safe, she was looking at my wife as she went. It was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life. And to this day I don’t regret it. We loved her so much, we wanted her to feel loved and as safe as she could be when the time came. I think she appreciated it. Honestly, she might not have even known we were there, but I felt like I owed it to her to be with her. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. But I did cry for days after. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, mrags said:

When my 16 year old pup went a year and a half ago I made sure I was not only there,  it held her in my arms when it was time. My wife was there in front of us. So not only was I holding her to make her feel safe, she was looking at my wife as she went. It was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life. And to this day I don’t regret it. We loved her so much, we wanted her to feel loved and as safe as she could be when the time came. I think she appreciated it. Honestly, she might not have even known we were there, but I felt like I owed it to her to be with her. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. But I did cry for days after. 

I was not there when my first four Goldens were put down, for a variety of reasons. Obviously chief among them was how horribly difficult I knew it would be, but there were also practical issues (work, etc.). For my fifth Golden I was there holding her as she quaked in fear. It was every bit as hard as I expected, but I’m so glad I was there for her. She deserved it!

If I could go back and do it over, I would have been with the first four. I can’t go back, but I’ll learn from it and do everything possible to be there when it’s Gracie’s turn (assuming I outlast her. - take nothing for granted!). She has been an immeasurable comfort to us during some very difficult times. She deserves all the comfort I can give her. 

This does NOT mean I’m saying everybody should do it. Everyone grieves in their own way, and it’s not my place (or anyone else’s IMO) to tell other people how to grieve. It’s rough either way. 

Edited by Augie

• 2 weeks later...