John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

3 hours ago, mannc said:

The problem with that is that, if a guy makes it to the bottom of round 1, he might very well be available at 40 anyway—another reason to hate trade ups.  But I agree that Beane might do this.

A lot of teams, I assume the Bills included, make a concerted effort to scout other teams needs and interest in prospects. When there is a minor trade up a few spots or from one round to another it’s often easy to say “that guy could have been there at our spot” but there is usually a good deal of strategy involved that the average fan is not aware of.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

If we could get to 2 without giving up next years 1st and still keep a 2nd or 3rd n 4th, id let it rock.

I don’t know, man...that’s still a steep price to pay for a non QB that hasn’t proven they can play in the NFL yet...I guess I’m a little more conservative on the subject, as we’ve been trading up an awful lot the passed few years...I don’t think we are at the point in our team development where we are 1 player away.

Edited by JaCrispy

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think there's more of a chance of the Bills trading back in to the second half of the first round giving up their 2nd and 3rd round pick (like they once did for McCargo).  Maybe to draft Noah Fant, Metalf, or an OT that slipped.

Doc, I wish you would use a better example than "Clutch Mc Cargo".

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Doc, I wish you would use a better example than "Clutch Mc Cargo".

Sorry.  The only one I could think of where we gave up our 2nd and 3rd to move up into the 1st round.  Throughout our recent history, we've had bad luck moving up when giving up draft picks (McGahee, Losman, McCargo, Watkins).  Different regime but I've never been a fan of moving up unless it's for a QB.  Even the Edmunds pick last year I wasn't crazy about as we had to give up the top pick of the 3rd round.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Sorry.  The only one I could think of where we gave up our 2nd and 3rd to move up into the 1st round.  Throughout our recent history, we've had bad luck moving up when giving up draft picks (McGahee, Losman, McCargo, Watkins).  Different regime but I've never been a fan of moving up unless it's for a QB.  Even the Edmunds pick last year I wasn't crazy about as we had to give up the top pick of the 3rd round.

No need to apologize LOL.  I was going to look to see if I could find a better example but I chickened out.

I was scared I couldn't find one.

I'm not a big fan of moving up myself.  I think Beane stays at #9 and if he does move up it's just a couple of spots.

Moving down can be good in certain circumstances but I don't think it's in Beane's plan this year unless something too good to pass

happens at #9.

IF he trades back in the 1st I see him wanting to trade that pick and the 2nd to get back into the first.

I think 10 drafted rookies is too many to bring to camp but I won't be surprised to see a trade for a proven player before the draft

that will eat up the extra 4th or 5th.  I'm thinking Beane can find a cap strapped team that wants some extra picks to deal with.

27 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No need to apologize LOL.  I was going to look to see if I could find a better example but I chickened out.

I was scared I couldn't find one.

I'm not a big fan of moving up myself.  I think Beane stays at #9 and if he does move up it's just a couple of spots.

Moving down can be good in certain circumstances but I don't think it's in Beane's plan this year unless something too good to pass

happens at #9.

IF he trades back in the 1st I see him wanting to trade that pick and the 2nd to get back into the first.

I think 10 drafted rookies is too many to bring to camp but I won't be surprised to see a trade for a proven player before the draft

that will eat up the extra 4th or 5th.  I'm thinking Beane can find a cap strapped team that wants some extra picks to deal with.

Yeah.  I really don't know what to expect.  Beane seems conservative but he moved up twice last year so they may move up if they fall in love with a prospect.  For all we know we'll give up our first in a trade for Clowney.  It's possible a team may want to leapfrog the Broncos for a QB and we can move back with them in a trade.  Odds are we stay where we are, but anything could happen.

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  I really don't know what to expect.  Beane seems conservative but he moved up twice last year so they may move up if they fall in love with a prospect.  For all we know we'll give up our first in a trade for Clowney.  It's possible a team may want to leapfrog the Broncos for a QB and we can move back with them in a trade.  Odds are we stay where we are, but anything could happen.

+1

On 3/29/2019 at 4:21 PM, Logic said:

Verrrrry interesting. In one of the comments below, someone asks him if thats just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. Take that for what you will...

We better not trade up. Always trade back unless you need a QB.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, john wawrow said:

Not saying it's going to happen or not. And certainly don't have any idea of who the Bills might target to move up.

What I'm simply suggesting is Beane is more comfortable in going after a player he's targeting, than moving too far back and hoping a player he wants is still there.

And that very much applies to this year's draft.

Again, he could be very happy at staying at 9 and not moving based on his board and where the drop-off of talent begins.

This part is merely gut, as it wasn't discussed.

As someone noted, the Bills have 10 picks, and it would make sense to use some of those assets to work from a position of strength and landing better players or players the Bills have higher on their board.

They did that twice last year.

jw

im all for trading late round picks to move up just dont want to trade up in the first. Trade back in the first ,trade up to get as many 2,3 as you can.

They do like to go after players they want. 

they went for athletic freaks in Allen and Edmunds, makes me think they will go after DK Metcalf.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, 3rdand12 said:

going from nine to 2 ??

ouch

It would take a minimum of 1250 points to move up to 2. This years one and next years one might get it done if SF was looking to trade down. If no team is willing to dance to a reasonable tune, the Bills will be better off staying at 9

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A lot of teams, I assume the Bills included, make a concerted effort to scout other teams needs and interest in prospects. When there is a minor trade up a few spots or from one round to another it’s often easy to say “that guy could have been there at our spot” but there is usually a good deal of strategy involved that the average fan is not aware of.

When a team does a mock draft, which they do many, they have scouts who 'act' as that teams GM. They put loads of research into that team so they aren't just guessing on who to pick when they mock the draft. They want to make as accurate of a guess as to what's going to happen as they can.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LancasterSteve said:

It would take a minimum of 1250 points to move up to 2. This years one and next years one might get it done if SF was looking to trade down. If no team is willing to dance to a reasonable tune, the Bills will be better off staying at 9

where do you get points from? 

31 minutes ago, nucci said:

where do you get points from? 

He got it from the old Jimmy Johnson draft trade value chart.  It's more of a guideline as supply and demand plays a huge role.

With 22 positions to worry about (plus special teams) it seems foolish of me to give up draft picks to move up unless it's for a quarterback.  Since it's such a crap shoot, successful drafting will always be about volume.

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He got it from the old Jimmy Johnson draft trade value chart.  It's more of a guideline as supply and demand plays a huge role.

With 22 positions to worry about (plus special teams) it seems foolish of me to give up draft picks to move up unless it's for a quarterback.  Since it's such a crap shoot, successful drafting will always be about volume.

I know...I just think it's ridiculous that people think GMs make trades based on random numbers given to draft picks

55 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Since it's such a crap shoot, successful drafting will always be about volume.

Nah it is about good talent evaluation. In 2005 with only 4 picks because he had spent so much on acquiring Eli Manning the previous year the Giants then GM Ernie Accorsi drafted three players who played on two Championship teams for the Giants and combined to start 16 seasons for the team - including a 2x pro-bowl and 1x all-pro pass rusher Justin Tuck.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

When a team does a mock draft, which they do many, they have scouts who 'act' as that teams GM. They put loads of research into that team so they aren't just guessing on who to pick when they mock the draft. They want to make as accurate of a guess as to what's going to happen as they can.

Interesting...I figured they would just assign all the other teams’ hypothetical selections to Uniblab.  ?

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree about only trading up to get a QB but he could trade back in to the 1st or try get an extra 2nd....Bills signed some decent veteran players that will help but this team needs top talent and you get that in 1st and 2nd rounds.....you get good players in later rounds but great ones early....Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Bennett, Conlan, Odomes, Wolford, Talley, Hansen were all drafted in 1st 2 rounds