John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you draft players where they are ranked and that results in filling holes then you have succeeded. I would rather draft a player ranked nine on my board that fills a major need than draft a player ranked eight on my board that doesn't. Sticking with your board makes a lot of sense. But it should not be sacrosanct because the rankings are never precise. Religiously sticking to one's board without considering your needs never made complete sense to me because it is not unusual for the lower ranked player to turn out to be better than the higher ranked player. Let's not forget that where Josh Allen was drafted was not where he was ranked on the big board. 

As has been said many times it is tiers. If you think your 8 and 9 are in the same tier you take the position of need. If you think there is a drop off talent wise after the 8th guy then you take the 8th guy. Regardless of what position he plays. 

Couldn't the Bills get an equally impactful player like Devin White, Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, TJ Hockenstein, Rashan Gary, Christian Wilkins, Jaylen Ferguson, Noah Fant, Andre Dillard, Jeffery Simmons, Cody Ford, Johnathan Abram, Devin Bush, Clelin Ferrell, Greedy Williams, Josh Jacobs, Marquis Brown etc. if they just stayed at 9 or dropped a little?  

So many elite/good talent in round 1 and 2.  I would rather not trade up from 9.  I would rather drop a little, and use the extra picks in the trade down, to trade back up to take someone that might drop.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

As has been said many times it is tiers. If you think your 8 and 9 are in the same tier you take the position of need. If you think there is a drop off talent wise after the 8th guy then you take the 8th guy. Regardless of what position he plays. 

We are not disagreeing. What I'm saying is that I'm not hung up on the individual ranking of players as much as considering the grouping of players. Without a doubt a first, second or third rated in the player in a draft is more likely to be in a separate talent category than let's say an 11-to 15 ranked players.  As you well know the development of a board and the criteria under consideration varies for teams. There is no question that New England has their own emphasis of measurements that factor in intelligence and position flexibility that other teams might not emphasize. Their board is going to be much different compared to the Cowboy board. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We are not disagreeing. What I'm saying is that I'm not hung up on the individual ranking of players as much as considering the grouping of players. Without a doubt a first, second or third rated in the player in a draft is more likely to be in a separate talent category than let's say an 11-to 15 ranked players.  As you well know the development of a board and the criteria under consideration varies for teams. There is no question that New England has their own emphasis of measurements that factor in intelligence and position flexibility that other teams might not emphasize. Their board is going to be much different compared to the Cowboy board. 

Of course. Every team's board is different. But I don't think you say "oh well another team might have him ranked higher than us so it is okay to take him." You have to run the draft by your board only and back your judgment. 

2 hours ago, TPS said:

No they don't!!

They might ..

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

good example.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:56 AM, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

I can see them moving if the person they like happens to fall and might be there at say pick 6 or 7, I’d say for Bosa or Williams. 

It is going to depend on the run on the QBs...Last year teams waited at 7 to make the 3rd QB pick...and hence Chubb and others did not slide.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there's more of a chance of the Bills trading back in to the second half of the first round giving up their 2nd and 3rd round pick (like they once did for McCargo).  Maybe to draft Noah Fant, Metalf, or an OT that slipped.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I think there's more of a chance of the Bills trading back in to the second half of the first round giving up their 2nd and 3rd round pick (like they once did for McCargo).  Maybe to draft Noah Fant, Metalf, or an OT that slipped.

The problem with that is that, if a guy makes it to the bottom of round 1, he might very well be available at 40 anyway—another reason to hate trade ups.  But I agree that Beane might do this.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The problem with that is that, if a guy makes it to the bottom of round 1, he might very well be available at 40 anyway—another reason to hate trade ups.  But I agree that Beane might do this.

You aren't thinking of the teams ahead of them. They only jump up if they have enough reason to believe a team in front of them wants the same player. So he probably won't be there.

Edited by Boca BIlls

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You aren't thinking of the teams ahead of them. They only jump up if they have enough traspn to believe a team in front of them wants the same player. So he probably won't be there.

What’s traspn?

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course. Every team's board is different. But I don't think you say "oh well another team might have him ranked higher than us so it is okay to take him." You have to run the draft by your board only and back your judgment. 

Anything else and you're not doing your job.  

They moved up for Allen and Edmunds last year, everyone knew we'd move up for a QB but Edmunds was the shocker.  McDermott was in the draft where we moved up for Zay.  It's safe to say if they've identified a player and the opportunity is there, they won't be shy.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

See your guy.  Get your guy. It's not that complicated unless you start throwing in "what if" after "what if."  Whether it's moving up to the 5-7 range or trading up into the later first etc. you do it for a specific reason. You go get your guy.  

But, what if he'd still be available at our original pick?

But, what if he's a bust?

But, what if another team has him rated lower?

And on, and on.

If McBeane was filled with the angst of many here he'd be in a straight jacket.

See your guy.  Get your guy.

• Like (+1) 4