John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

16 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks better chance of moving down in round one (from 9) and better chance of moving up in rounds two through seven, even moving back up into end of round one after the initial move down. 

I agree with you.  This draft has a lot of talent in rounds 2 and 3 that matches up with the long term needs of the team.  In first round , one of the elite d-linemen will be available at pick 9.  McD and Beane will not pass on this value.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont agree with jp much.....but I do here

It costs too much to move up in the top 10 unless its for a QB.......I have NO problem moving back up into the 1st round because that will cost a lot less and 10 draft picks is a lot

It’s a unique day when we see eye to eye. I’m an advocate of premium picks - rounds 1 through 3. However we darn well know if you are moving up within the top 10 you are sacrificing premium picks whether it be this year or next. Analytics suggests taking as making cracks at the draft - taking into account the aforementioned premium picks - as possible. This regime, if they make this move, will prove again they are of the anti-analytics movement when it comes to the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, familykwi said:

Never heard of John Wawrow.  I hope he lacks creditability because we need to stop surrendering assets.

Wawrow is an AP reporter who covers the Bills.  He is normally very reliable and will not put out anything that is not double-verified (per AP journalism standards) even when he knows the same rumors as the other guys.  Posts here sometimes - reasonably thick skin and level head under his snark.

That said, it should be noted that he isn't saying what the Bills will or won't do, just giving his take on probabilities.  You can have an 80% probability of making a left turn and a 20% probability of making a right turn based on what's known of your route patterns, and still turn right at the next corner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Gotta be honest if it’s a third and nine to go 2-3 spots and get devin white sign me up.  

If the Bills were to move up I get the sense it would be because Sean will fall in love with this guy, Devin White, and pound the table to go get him.

38 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Please no except on day 3. They will not draft 10 guys. They will package some late round picks to move up a round late.

Please don't waste a day 2 pick to move up a few spots. They have holes at OT, DT, OLB, and TE and you can throw in RB and DB as well. They need those first four in the first two days.

Either 4 on Day 1 and 2; or if only three, two in round 1, or two in round two

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Wouldn’t having the draft in January make the offseason seem even longer ? Anyway, I don’t remember the draft not being in April. 

It use to be about ten days earlier but it’s also been pushed to May a few times 

And no April is fine just prefer it in the first couple weeks not the last week

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Verrrrry interesting. In one of the comments below, someone asks him if thats just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. Take that for what you will...

i'm a ok with us trading up in the first and second round to grab 2 blue chip players we really want we are at the point where we can add 2 starters and be over the hump imo

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Eddie is too small and a little short to play DT in the NFL.  He needs some work with technique.  Can not really rush the passer that great.

He was great in college because he’s a very good athlete.  I don’t think that will get as much in the NFL

Umm, he is an inch taller than Kyle Williams

18 hours ago, Logic said:

Verrrrry interesting. In one of the comments below, someone asks him if thats just opinion or if he's actually heard anything. He replies that he doesn't really HAVE draft opinions. Take that for what you will...

It's got to be Oliver.

I said it before in another thread, we need to move up to get him. Somehow, he fell out of favor within the media outlets in lieu of other prospects, but I don't think that's the case for teams.

Oliver is too dominant to fall out of the top 5.

20 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

It's got to be Oliver.

I said it before in another thread, we need to move up to get him. Somehow, he fell out of favor within the media outlets in lieu of other prospects, but I don't think that's the case for teams.

Oliver is too dominant to fall out of the top 5.

Bookmark this:  The Bills will not be trading up from 9 to draft Ed Oliver.  And Oliver has not been “dominant” since he left high school. 3 sacks in the All-America Conference (or whatever minor league Houston plays in) is NOT dominance.

Edited by mannc

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Meh. They literally let a picture of their QB board from last year get onto Twitter. Ben Albright knew for like 4 months that the Bills were all in on Allen. They're not infallible.

Hmmm...so they somehow let a pic get posted on Twitter showing Allen #1--Did the picture get posted before or after they drafted Allen?  Obvious answer.

Albright I'm sure was told that the Bills contacted Denver about a trade, as everyone knew the Bills wanted to move up to grab a QB. And he probably heard or was fed they liked Allen, as he got info on Peterman the year before (Beane wasn't there).  He also had the Browns taking Darnold.  And guess who was pushing the Paradis to the Bills rumor? 

So, I'm not saying they're infallible, but this regime runs a much tighter ship than any in recent memory. I have one minor contact to the Bills, and last year he said they had things absolutely shut down compared to how things were in the past.  

11 minutes ago, TPS said:

Hmmm...so they somehow let a pic get posted on Twitter showing Allen #1--Did the picture get posted before or after they drafted Allen?  Obvious answer.

Albright I'm sure was told that the Bills contacted Denver about a trade, as everyone knew the Bills wanted to move up to grab a QB. And he probably heard or was fed they liked Allen, as he got info on Peterman the year before (Beane wasn't there).  He also had the Browns taking Darnold.  And guess who was pushing the Paradis to the Bills rumor? 

So, I'm not saying they're infallible, but this regime runs a much tighter ship than any in recent memory. I have one minor contact to the Bills, and last year he said they had things absolutely shut down compared to how things were in the past.  

In the case of the Allen leak, it was an intern that took a picture of the white board on which they had written their QB rankings. Said intern then put the photo on Twitter for the world to see, and he did it BEFORE the draft.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

3 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

John:  I always appreciate your work.  Thanks for the tip.  I'd love your opinion on the following:

1.  Who, in your opinion, would interest the Bills to trade up?

2.  In a scenario when we are trading up for a second first round pick, who would see as being potential targets assuming we went DL with the first?

Thanks!

I didn’t talk names.

But I will note that moving up for D help rather moving back for O help prompted the comment.

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

In the case of the Allen leak, it was an intern that took a picture of the white board on which they had written their QB rankings. Said intern then put the photo on Twitter for the world to see, and he did it BEFORE the draft.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Thanks. Would you have a link to a story?  I'd love to read more about it.

11 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I didn’t talk names.

But I will note that moving up for D help rather moving back for O help prompted the comment.

jw

The reason this does make a lot of sense (and I'm warming up to it) is they need a young, elite stud on the D-line going forward, and they feel this is the last time they will be in the top 10 for a long time.  Getting to 5 or 6 is doable.

Thanks for posting because the Board needed something substantive to distract us for awhile....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I didn’t talk names.

jw

You're not saying that because of probability and past actions because you rarely give opinions on the draft.  I'd be right because I solve riddles.  

19 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks better chance of moving down in round one (from 9) and better chance of moving up in rounds two through seven, even moving back up into end of round one after the initial move down. 

We're thinking alike.