John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I love Bosa, Williams, Allen, Oliver. If we get one of those guys I will be ecstatic. 

I'd probably do it, I have a hard time giving up 40, but I'm fine with the rest. But I do think San Francisco might take a player like Zay Jones or even Trent Murphy (Stanford connection) in a trade in place of a pick. I think they want to trade down for a guy like Greedy Williams and in doing so can get the pick they traded for Dee Ford back and then some. But yeah I'd take Bosa, and I think he will be at least as good as his brother, probably better and a perfect fit in McDermott's system imo. 

You would trade next year’s first to move up for an interior lineman?  Really?  Has that ever happened in the history of the league?  I don’t know about this.  I’d much rather trade down and pick up extra picks on day 2.  Too many needs.  They still have to build a modern offense.  An interior lineman just doesn’t seem like enough value.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, familykwi said:

Never heard of John Wawrow.  I hope he lacks creditability because we need to stop surrendering assets.

.Agree with you tho, if the do this then it shows that they have no idea where they are in the rebuilding process.  

It was bad enough that in a once every 20+ year draft they did what they did last year, but if they do it again it reveals that they're out of touch with what's going on insofar as the cmopetitiveness of the team that they've been entrusted with rebuilding.  

Edited by TaskersGhost
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, familykwi said:

Never heard of John Wawrow.  I hope he lacks creditability because we need to stop surrendering assets.

Wawrow is an old school journalist.  If he put it out there he's heard something.   He would tell you if he was totally speculating.. Doesn't mean the Bills end up trading up, but he's most definitely credible.  And a friend of the board...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

So 9, 40, 2020 first and 2021 second should just about do it to go from 9 to 2..

Bosa and Williams had better be the next Bruce Smith for that haul..

And if you think they are, you pull the trigger every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

You'll have to wait a few weeks.  Even then, it's still a big "if"

Nah, I realize nothing is certain.  Pull up that thread though and read the derision, the disdain etc. Now look at those same people here falling over themselves to jump on the bandwagon.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't disagree that the Bills covet Oliver but why give up picks to move up to get him when there is a good chance that he will still be on the board when we pick. What increases the chances that he will still be on the board is that a qb or two or maybe three might be targeted before we pick thus increasing the odds that he or another highly rate player will still be available. If he isn't on the board when our turn comes up that will still good options on the line at other positions that will also fortify the roster. 

If the Bills were inclined to deal off picks I would rather they do it to move up after our first round selection to get a higher graded player for other positions, such as RB, OL or TE. 

Take the best d lineman at 9.  Hopefully, 3 QBs get picked.  Trade up into the 20s and get the best skill player.  Hockenson, Font, Metcalf, Harry, Butler, Campbell, Brown and I think a sleeper Jacobs.  Idk how I would feel about a trade up for Rb.  Though he is the universal top rated Rb by every credible source.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

Off season is to long it was better when the draft was earlier 

Wouldn’t having the draft in January make the offseason seem even longer ? Anyway, I don’t remember the draft not being in April. 

32 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And if you think they are, you pull the trigger every time. 

Would love to see the melt down here if they gave up that haul..

Particularly if the 49ers then pick Oliver at 9

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You would trade next year’s first to move up for an interior lineman?  Really?  Has that ever happened in the history of the league?  I don’t know about this.  I’d much rather trade down and pick up extra picks on day 2.  Too many needs.  They still have to build a modern offense.  An interior lineman just doesn’t seem like enough value.

Yeah the reality is that with the *possible* exceptions of Morse and Beasley all of the holes they hope to have patched in UFA are going to need replacements very soon and now is the time to do it so they won't have to be forced into the starting lineup and cost the team games as they learn via trial by fire(like Edmunds in the SD game, for instance).  

The signing of those players in UFA hopefully alleviates the compulsion to reach for need in the draft..........and ideally the volume of picks and a BPA approach leads to the team finding many long term replacements.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Would love to see the melt down here if they have up that haul..

Oh, it would be a meltdown of China syndrome proportions. But GMs need the courage of their convictions, regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the reality is that with the *possible* exceptions of Morse and Beasley all of the holes they hope to have patched in UFA are going to need replacements very soon and now is the time to do it so they won't have to be forced into the starting lineup and cost the team games as they learn via trail by fire(like Edmunds in the SD game, for instance).  

The signing of those players in UFA hopefully alleviates the compulsion to reach for need in the draft..........and ideally the volume of picks and a BPA approach leads to the team finding many long term replacements.

Great point.  This ^^^ is why it makes no sense to leverage not only picks this year, but possibly future high round picks to get one guy when the needs that were patched by FA this year become needs again in two years.  McD and Beane should understand this.  I get the argument that not all 10 draft picks will make the team, but that happens every year.  Most will make the team and will grow to fill roles later this season or next.  Repeat the process in 2020 and beyond.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

You stated that you usually don't posts opinions about the draft. That is in contrast to your copious thoughts on exotic beers. Your haughty sneering of the favored beers of the blue collar population that leans toward Miller and Bud is a an example how you set yourself apart in the upper balcony of the opera house. :)

libel!

i’m a music snob.

beer? Blue and Guinness 

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Interesting how most people are taking this tweet and running with the assumption that the trade up is with our 1st pick. Could be they stay at 9 and trade up afterwards. And perhaps Wawrow is enjoying himself watching everyone salivate.

i’m not at all surprised how much this has taken off and been to some degree twisted to satisfy some folks’ narratives and hopes.

the significance of my initial tweet is, in reality, more of a tidbit and not five-alarm fire that came up during a recent conversation.

again, as i’ve posted here an on the tweeter: 

i dont know what chance of a trade will happen. simply, a trade up is more likely (odds? dunno) than down in first round.

jw

• Like (+1) 1

There’s an arms race in the Afc East. At least imo. I think this is the draft to add substance over volume. I hope Beane is focused on building around a core of exceptional talent. The squad is long on promise but short on exceptional talent. If you can get Bosa I think this is the year to mortgage some draft capital to do it. 

Edited by Juror#8

14 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

i’m not at all surprised how much this has taken off and been to some degree twisted to satisfy some folks’ narratives and hopes.

the significance of my initial tweet is, in reality, more of a tidbit and not five-alarm fire that came up during a recent conversation.

I once started a donnybrook by wondering if the Jets were rope-a-doping everyone and were actually going to draft Barkley and not a QB last year.  You would have thought I wrapped the baby Jesus in Old Glory and set them both on fire.   

Such is life on the mean streets of Two Bills Drive.  An extended, wacky, mildly opinionated, dysfunctional family of Bill's Mafioso with just a sprinkling of trolls to keep life interesting.        : )

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I once started a donnybrook by wondering if the Jets were rope-a-doping everyone and were actually going to draft Barkley and not a QB last year.  You would have thought I wrapped the baby Jesus in Old Glory and set them both on fire.   

Such is life on the mean streets of Two Bills Drive.  An extended, wacky, mildly opinionated, dysfunctional family of Bill's Mafioso with just a sprinkling of trolls to keep life interesting.        : )

oh, i’m quite familiar with the place.

?

• Haha (+1) 1