John Wawrow: "better chance of the Bills moving up for a player than moving back"

Logic

As a matter of principle, I despise trading up in drafts.  Hitting on 2nd, 3rd, 4the and 5th round picks is like gold.  To surrender the opportunity to draft those players to get the guy you "HAVE" to have is bad business.

Quinnen Williams perhaps being the guy of he gets past 3.  

21 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Out of curiosity, other than the clip of McDermott at the pro day, what else have they done to show their overwhelming interest in Oliver? 

I'm a huge Oliver fan, and want him the most in the first, so I'm just asking seriously.

They have been ALL OVER him in the pre-draft process. That was the 1st guy that we heard about a visit with. He blew the doors off on his pro day and one day later we are hearing rumblings of trading up. He plays the last starting spot still open. He plays it in the exact manner that they want someone to play that position. The dots are easy to connect. They are in love.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Out of curiosity, other than the clip of McDermott at the pro day, what else have they done to show their overwhelming interest in Oliver? 

I'm a huge Oliver fan, and want him the most in the first, so I'm just asking seriously.

I worry that Eddie has bust potential

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Like someone else pointed out...JW did NOT specifically say this involved the pick at 9...just that there is a better chance of us moving than down.  That could easily mean we stay put at 9 but then be aggressive to move back up into the first to get another premium pick too.

Hmmmm...lots to think about here.  

I’ve said this for a couple weeks. Grab our d linemen at 9 and then snag a tight end/wr/tackle in the late first 

I wouldn't be surprised.  Imo in this draft they are looking for quality over quantity.  I could see them trading and possibly adding a veteran.  Clowney or Lawerance I could see.  Swap 1st and a conditional pick.  Be in the perfect position to add  skill position player.  Te or wr make way more sense in the 20s than at 9.

Edited by Mat68

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Oliver will go top 5. He should. But he won't because NFL teams over think this stuff. Put the tape on. Ed Oliver stands out. He is an elite prospect. I think if he gets past #5 the Bills trading up is in play from that point on. #6, #7 or #8 all in play. 

So you think Beane works out a deal with his old pal Gettleman and gets to 6 for Eddie O?

Giants drop to 9 and take Lock?

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know if you are really JW or someone who uses his name as their screen name.  But lets assume you are...I wont even challenge you if you say you are.

The very obvious question is simple:  Was your tweet of what you are hearing from some sources...or is this tweet reflective of just your opinion on what you think is more likely?

I feel very confident that we will NOT be drafting 10 players in the draft.  So I do expect Beane to move around the draft at some point.  I do though find it hard to believe it will be up from 9 given the cost to go up from there.  It would take away at least one, if not 2 valuable picks to do that and Beane certainly covets his picks.  

I feel like Beane could stay at 9 then trade up from #40 to get back into the first or even just earlier in the 2nd to grab a guy he covets...maybe that could be Fant, AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Simmons, etc.  Then he is getting at least 2 impact rookies.  If we trade up from 9, I cant imagine doing that with out at least including our 2nd and could cost us more picks than that depending how high we went.  This is such a deep draft in rounds 2 and 3, so I have been pretty skeptical we would go up from 9.

My opinion has been we would trade down to get an extra 2nd then move back up into the first to get another player.  And maybe move up again at some point to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

But all that being said, the one thing I know is that Beane is not afraid to go get a player he wants, so wouldn't surprise me that much if we went up from 9.   

THIS is one of the things that made/makes this place awesome. This place was once full of stuff like this prior to topics letting us know the color socks they were wearing today. JW is one of the few gems that still grace us with his info/presence. Good stuff

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1