Robin Lehner on playing in Buffalo & Buffalo Fans

Reed83HOF

Didn't Robin Lehner have a dependency?  Maybe if his head were clearer, he would have played better.  Thus making his time in Buffalo better.  Anyways, last I read, he was sober and more focused.

Bills reporting was the same way up until recently. Pegulas have done what they can to control the media.

Opinion pieces are fine, but subjective reporting parading as objective was a real problem. reporters being obnoxiously disrespectful at PCs was a real problem. Some reporters constantly acted like the Bills stole their lunch money.

A lot of fans are the same way. They can't enjoy the game, regardless of it's outcome. Depression and self-righteousness has much to do with it.

It is frustrating watching the Sabres , and how can one not point fingers at the Pegulas .. you dont miss the playoffs in the NHL 8 strtaight years. Something has not been right from the get-go .. bad advice? seems like it , at least from the hockey standpoint. i think what Lehner said has some merit.. its not cheap to attend.. and a culture of losing does not instill alot of positivity.. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Wo-Bah said:

Didn't Robin Lehner have a dependency?  Maybe if his head were clearer, he would have played better.  Thus making his time in Buffalo better.  Anyways, last I read, he was sober and more focused.

Also in that article he mentioned how helpful Sabres management and ownership was.  However he also had no interest at all in returning to Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

He was the worst shootout goalie I have ever seen.  He would guess like some soccer goalies do.

I may be mistaken, but he may have gone a full season without one shootout stop.  2016-17.....even a blind squirrel.....

Edited by Spielman

1 hour ago, Peter said:

As a decades long Buffalo sports fan, I have to agree with his assessment of some of the fan base and some of the media.  Although we have some the best fans in the world, there is no shortage of miserable fans and current and former TBN writers (for example). 

Spot on.    It amazes me how miserable some people can get over what's essentially an entertainment option.    

Maybe its because, aside from Dave and Busters, there isn't enough to do around here...

I don’t participate in booing my favorite teams, but I don’t blame anyone I see booing at the arena.

It’s been pretty miserable for some time now. 

At at the same time, would have been cool if you could stop a shot during a shootout while you were here Robin. As mentally weak of a player as I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by Rockpile233

I've always wondered why our teams, more often than not, generally stink. Why do players perform better elsewhere. Why do our top picks do well, but others drafted around them do much better. Maybe something about playing in Buffalo has something to do with it? Occasionally , like when we have 4 future hall of fame players on offense, you have some success, or when you have the greatest goalie of all time, you have success, but other than that it's been pretty miserable.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't he fairing better with the Isles though?......or it it all Trotz' wizardry?.............

He's sober, Trotz is a great coach, there is some talent on that team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He's right, but the negativity is a natural reaction to decades of poor management and bottom feeding teams.  I actually feel like we kept it together better than most fan based would have for what we have endured as sports fans.  

I don't think it's just all the losing. I recall in the 90's, Bills fans having a hissy if Dan Deirdorf mentioned Buffalo and snow in the same sentence on MNF. Buffalo sports fans were way ahead of thier time with the outrage culture nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't he fairing better with the Isles though?......or it it all Trotz' wizardry?.............

He's played well this year. I wasn't aware of his shoot-out problems, but I haven't noticed any problem with that.

After giving up the most goals in the league last year, defense has been a major emphasis and obviously  Lamoriello/Trotz have had a positive impact. Lehner has been rotating with Greiss who has also played well. I think they have both been good but also benefited from the system.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I don’t participate in booing my favorite teams, but I don’t blame anyone I see booing at the arena.

It’s been pretty miserable for some time now. 

At at the same time, would have been cool if you could stop a shot during a shootout while you were here Robin. As mentally weak of a player as I’ve ever seen. 

apparently, not anymore.  And i doubt it was your intent to mock, but he did have actual, serious mental issues while here.

47 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Also in that article he mentioned how helpful Sabres management and ownership was.  However he also had no interest at all in returning to Buffalo.

Sounds reasonable

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Listen up Terry and Kim.  "Hockey heaven" huh?   The fans are pissed because they show up year after year, pay good money and lose..., the media is negative b/c they always lose..people in the organization are grumpy because they always lose.  The arena needs some fixing up.. etc..  

I love the Pegula's for what they've done for the city but Jeez, maybe it's time for them to divest the Sabres.  They could not run a worse hockey organization for 8 years running IF THEY TRIED!  

Those other owners,,, Regier, Golisano...they weren't even trying hard to have a good club and they were in the playoffs often enough.  Pegula's?  They can't get out of last place. ugh.

The fact that you think Darcy Regier was an owner invalidates this post.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

apparently, not anymore.  And i doubt it was your intent to mock, but he did have actual, serious mental issues while here.

I’m not putting the weight of Lehner’s issues on frustrated Sabres fans. Glad to see he seems to be doing better with his personal health.

Considering how the organization supported him during it, I think it’s even worse to point at fans now.

Edited by Rockpile233

1 minute ago, Rockpile233 said:

I’m not putting the weight of Lehner’s issues on frustrated Sabres fans. Glad to see he seems to be doing better with his personal health.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Also, I think he had those issues before Buffalo and don't recall him ever placing blame on anyone.