Jordan Howard

Mopreme

Can someone explain to me why the Bills didn’t jump on Howard and offered a low pick?  The eagles made out. Cheap last year rookie contract with option to renew or get comp pick if he signs elsewhere. Howard is perfect compliment to shady with three down back qualities. Instead they opted for Gore who is more expensive without any upside?  

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

JAG

solid player on a 4 year rookie deal.  Just another guy after that rookie deal.  Glad we kept our pick 

This.  He is a nice player, but you are better off trying to hit a home run in the draft.  I think Gore is about leadership and that type of stuff.  It seems pretty obvious they either really believe in their young guys or plan to draft someone. 

Middle capability RBs are replaceable.  Getting a guy in the last year of a rookie contract means his price goes up a lot next year or we let him go and turn a 2019 draft pick where we get 4 years of cheap production, into a one year rental. Pass,

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This.  He is a nice player, but you are better off trying to hit a home run in the draft.  I think Gore is about leadership and that type of stuff.  It seems pretty obvious they either really believe in their young guys or plan to draft someone. 

Gore is that plus your 3rd down running back who can actually help protect Allen

19 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Can someone explain to me why the Bills didn’t jump on Howard and offered a low pick?  The eagles made out. Cheap last year rookie contract with option to renew or get comp pick if he signs elsewhere. Howard is perfect compliment to shady with three down back qualities. Instead they opted for Gore who is more expensive without any upside?  

Can you tell us why the Bears were so willing to sign an immediate replacement in free agency and trade him?

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Traded a 6 that can become a 5.  I assume if it becomes a 5 - they probably end up netting a comp pick in 2021 anyway.  So they'd push picks back a year - and if they give up the 5th they're getting a year of value out of a former pro bowl running back (while paying him 2 million) and then letting him take his chances in free agency.

6 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Pretty simple actually.  They were not going to give away a draft asset for a guy they didn't want.  

And can people plllllleeeeassssee stop talking about Gore like he is expensive or hurting our cap situation.  We are not using 100% of our cap up this year...Gores contract doesnt matter even one bit to our cap.  So stop talking about what we are paying him, which is barely anything, as if you are the one writing the check.  His salary has literally has no impact what so ever.

So the "we could have saved money with this guy" argument is pointless.  Who cares if Howard or Gore backs up McCoy...I think its pretty clear both are here one more year and what ever rookie we draft this year will be the future of the RB spot in Buffalo.  Or maybe even a high pick in next years draft.  

Either way, Howard was not our future.  I would have been fine if we did trade for him, could care less if we didnt.  He's a solid RB, but so is Gore...and McCoy is our starter anyway.  

Now Duke Johnson is a guy I would be excited to trade for, brings more versatility.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

7 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Why didn't they?  Look at Howard's age....he is too young!!!!!

7 hours ago, Mopreme said:

He offers the same production as Gore.  The backs in the middle rounds have the potential to be better than Howard.  Howard is a FA next year and will want most likely look to maximize his money and test the open market.