Christian Wilkins Round 1

I say round 1 cause I feel the Bills could get him at 9 or could get him possibly 5-6 picks later.

Question is why no talk of Wilkins? 

6’3” 315, kid lined up inside, outside everywhere. He’s quick and has great hands. 4 year starter and is considered one of the top DT behind Q. Williams.  He’s from Western Massachusetts. 

Ive been saying it for weeks now. I’d like a trade down to gain more picks to trade back into the first.

Draft Christian Wilkins and trade back into the first for Jaylon Ferguson.

Bills D line is sketchy after this year. I think Star, Murphy and H Phillips are the only ones under contract and Murphy’s dead cap after this year he could easily be gone. McDs defense relys heavily on DL rotation, 7-8 guys. Wilkins Plays everywhere which is nice at 315.

• Like (+1) 4

He has Bills dna.  Leader on Clemson team, and was unstoppable against Alabama.  I like him a lot after a trade down.  I prefer Oliver, but a beve of 2nd,3rd and future picks I would trade down.  My mantra is stockpile 2nd and 3rd rounders!  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

He won't ever get the all-pro 10+ sack numbers from interior.  But he's got a really nice motor and is always around the ball.  

No doubt.  I just think teams salivate for high ceiling players in the top of the first round.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He has Bills dna.  Leader on Clemson team, and was unstoppable against Alabama.  I like him a lot after a trade down.  I prefer Oliver, but a beve of 2nd,3rd and future picks I would trade down.  My mantra is stockpile 2nd and 3rd rounders!  

Shows in this video....  he is a process/Buffalo type guy!  Go BlueCheese Christian 

• Like (+1) 1

Someone, somewhere, once said that Wilkins has a low ceiling...  And now everyone is parroting it.  Every time I hear it my head wants to explode, just turn on the tape people.  The man is a 5 star recruit freak athlete who started his career as an end and then moved inside.  He's fantastic with his hands, has top intangibles, and a relentless motor.  The sky's the limit with him, I want Oliver or Wilkins at 9.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My neighbor is a huge Clemson fan.  I asked him about Clelan Ferrel, Dexter Lawrence, and Christian Wilkins.  He thought they all could go first round.

He talked on and on about Wilkins.  A great kid, a great player, leader, and so on.  He already graduated and I believe got a graduate degree.  

When I heard my neighbor talk about Wilkins I was thinking this is the Bills kind of player through and through.

• Like (+1) 1

I planned to make a thread closer to draft day, but I think there's a very good chance Wilkins is the Bills' pick in the first round.

He has off the charts intangibles, leadership, and character, and a non stop motor. His coach said "even though he's first string, he plays every down like he's trying to make the team". If that doesn't sound like a prototypical McDermott first rounder, I don't know what does.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

No doubt.  I just think teams salivate for high ceiling players in the top of the first round.

Yeah - and anyone along the defensive line is essentially paid/drafted around getting to the QB.  Wilkins is tough to read too, as he played on a super talented d-line.  

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Someone, somewhere, once said that Wilkins has a low ceiling...  And now everyone is parroting it.  Every time I hear it my head wants to explode, just turn on the tape people.  The man is a 5 star recruit freak athlete who started his career as an end and then moved inside.  He's fantastic with his hands, has top intangibles, and a relentless motor.  The sky's the limit with him, I want Oliver or Wilkins at 9.

His college production plateaued 3 years ago as a sophomore.............and he will turn 24 years old late in his rookie year.........so the questions about his ceiling are entirely justifiable.

He also checks the "not a key position" and "not an elite pass rusher" boxes.

In a league where you only get 4 years before you have to decide whether your first round pick is worth $10M-$15M AAV........and where elite QB/PassRush/LT don't make it to UFA...... you really need to swing for the fence and fill elite positions with those first round picks.   Especially ones that early.

• Like (+1) 4

Good post. I was thinking the same exact thing last night.  

I love Wilkins, and he fills a huge position of need as a penetrating 3 tech DT.  He's also strong en8ugh to play some nose tackle as well when needed, which gives him versatility, a other trait the Bills love.

I was watching some film on him last night and he really impresses.  One key trait I like to see in DL is a quick get off.  I hate when a DL is slow to pop out of his stance on the snap (shaq lawson).  Wilkins routinely is the 1st guy to react to the snap.  I think hes going sooner than I've seen in most mocks.  I think 6-15 is his range, so I dont think 9 is too soon.  He will be a player 

Side note:  Hes got the exact character and love of football that McBeane covet.  Guys a big time leader from everything I've read.

I've been wondering about Wilkins.  He doesn't seem like an Elite player.  I hope we get an Elite player at 9.  Maybe Wilkins is that player.  I'm obviously not a scout, so who knows.

It was nice that they invited the IT technician to the party.

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

I like him but I want Ed Oliver. Hope he makes us to #9. 

If Whaley was the GM, Oliver would be the guy we all wanted, but the Bills passed on OR the guy we wanted, but was taken 1 pick before us.  If Oliver is the guy they want, I bet they get him.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Wilkins is a late 1st round type of guy.  Good, not great.  As someone mentioned, he played on an uber talented line, and plateaued production wise 2 years ago.  A "safe" player, definitely.  Great rotational player, yep.  But....  With a top 10 pick, you need a guy who projects as a year 1 starter, and competitor for DROY (if defense), and perennial pro-bowler.  I'd actually put Wilkins at 4 in the DL line ranking, with Williams, Oliver, and Simmons ahead of him.  

• Like (+1) 1