Unpopular Take. The Bills should trade for Rosen

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

You'll have a lot of people saying, "no," and I wonder how many of them are the same "draft a QB every year until you have a Pro Bowl" QB folks.  Your idea is the same: get a QB this year, in fact, a top 10 draft QB, for a 2nd rounder.   I don't know if I like the idea, I may wait till next year and grab as much talent, so if Allen falters the next QB has a loaded lineup.  But your idea is not crazy as some have/will insinuate.  

"Draft a QB every year until you get the right one" is just as stupid as the OP's.  An organization should select a first round QB only when/if they think he's the next great QB in the league, not because they need a QB (EJ Manuel) or because they want to get in "the best QB class in years" (JP Losman) or because they want to placate/excite their fan base (Johnny Manziel).   Even when they think their QB is likely to be the next great QB, teams miss frequently. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"Draft a QB every year until you get the right one" is just as stupid as the OP's.  An organization should select a first round QB only when/if they think he's the next great QB in the league, not because they need a QB (EJ Manuel) or because they want to get in "the best QB class in years" (JP Losman) or because they want to placate/excite their fan base (Johnny Manziel).   Even when they think their QB is likely to be the next great QB, teams miss frequently. 

.....Asinine 101.......what better indictment of scout staff ineptitude......seems to be a perfect fit for the "definition of insanity"..............

• Like (+1) 1

While I do disagree and don’t think the Bills should do this, I don’t understand the absolute bashing of the OP. 

The Redskins drafted a QB in the 1st and the 4th round in the same draft, and it was the 4th rounder that would start longer for them. 

Everyone has a right to disagree with the idea, but too just bash it is ignorant.  I believe that Josh Allen will workout, but if he doesn’t, why.not have a security blanket?  I wouldn’t offer up a 2nd for Rosen, I think we still have too many holes to fill (DL, TE, OL), but if you can get a top 10 pick just one year out for a third, what’s the risk? 

Rosen would come in and sit on the bench and if Allen works out, he doesn’t lose value because he hasn’t seen game time, and you flip him for a 2nd or 3rd right back (i.e. Jimmy G).  If Allen doesn’t work out, you spent a 3rd round pick on a 1st round prospect and he gets a shot. 

Again, I disagree. But come on, you can’t be so set on Allen and having the right josh and whatever other cliches and thoughts have developed and been regurgitated since the draft that you just blatantly abuse the OP for this idea. 

19 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's not the worst idea I've heard. It's obviously not going to happen, but you could stash Rosen away and very likely get that 2nd round pick back down the road. I'm not 100 sold on Allen, so of course I'm "receptive" to a contingency plan. Where it falls apart for me is that I think Rosen is trash. So there's that. The reason I liked the post was because you can't afford to be wrong at QB, so it's at least an interesting proposition.

Jimmy was right, you can't afford to be wrong on the QB. When we drafted Josh I preferred Rosen. As a  Bruin season ticket holder I had seen all of his games and knew his flaws & strengths. There was more early risk with Allen. But after watching both play their rookie seasons I think we made the right choice. Do you want to risk hurting Josh's confidence by bringing in Rosen? Are the Cardinals going to want a 1st, which I would NOT give them? If I were the Bill's I'd not consider this strategy but I can clearly see why some would. I'm one of those rare members who believed drafting 2 QBs the same season was something to consider. But under this scenario we already have tape on both guys.

7 minutes ago, elijah said:

While I do disagree and don’t think the Bills should do this, I don’t understand the absolute bashing of the OP. 

The Redskins drafted a QB in the 1st and the 4th round in the same draft, and it was the 4th rounder that would start longer for them. 

Everyone has a right to disagree with the idea, but too just bash it is ignorant.  I believe that Josh Allen will workout, but if he doesn’t, why.not have a security blanket?  I wouldn’t offer up a 2nd for Rosen, I think we still have too many holes to fill (DL, TE, OL), but if you can get a top 10 pick just one year out for a third, what’s the risk? 

Rosen would come in and sit on the bench and if Allen works out, he doesn’t lose value because he hasn’t seen game time, and you flip him for a 2nd or 3rd right back (i.e. Jimmy G).  If Allen doesn’t work out, you spent a 3rd round pick on a 1st round prospect and he gets a shot. 

Again, I disagree. But come on, you can’t be so set on Allen and having the right josh and whatever other cliches and thoughts have developed and been regurgitated since the draft that you just blatantly abuse the OP for this idea. 

Yes...bashing the idea of spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder, in a year where there's both tremendous need at certain positions that just happen to align with those exact rounds in terms of value per pick, on a pre-owned 'security blanket' who was arguably the worst quarterback in the entire league...that's the ignorant part. 

52% completion percentage isnt all that bad when you consider his best receiver was a undrafted rookie that was cut earlier in the year and he might have had the worst offensive line in the history of the game. The man took a complete joke of an offense, put it on his shoulders and made them somewhat competent. 

I agree, OP. Rosen was a rookie QB on a terrible team and has better natural ability to throw accurately than Allen -- FAR better. I'd make this move and let Rosen and Allen battle it out and see which one is better. Allen hasn't shown that he has anything besides arm strength and the ability to scramble. I'll take a great passer over a great runner at QB every time.

Edited by GreggTX

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I agree, OP. Rosen was a rookie QB on a terrible team and has better natural ability to throw accurately than Allen. I'd make this move and let Rosen and Allen battle it out and see which one is better. Allen hasn't shown that he has anything besides arm strength and the ability to scramble. I'll take a great passer over a great runner at QB every time.

On what basis are you calling Rosen a great passer?

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

On what basis are you calling Rosen a great passer?

I'm not. I'm stating that an accurate arm is better than scrambling ability. Rosen has better natural accuracy than Allen who throws poorly placed balls with maddening regularity.

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'm not. I'm stating that an accurate arm is better than scrambling ability. Rosen has better natural accuracy than Allen who throws poorly placed balls with maddening regularity.

Go rewatch Cards Broncos and see if you can say that with a straight face.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If Rosen had shown to be a top talent last year, this idea would have at least some merit.  He didn't so it doesn't.

If Rosen had shown to be a top talent last year, all these trade rumors would be swirling around because nobody would believe Arizona would think of trading him away, new regime or not.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jimmy was right, you can't afford to be wrong on the QB. When we drafted Josh I preferred Rosen. As a  Bruin season ticket holder I had seen all of his games and knew his flaws & strengths. There was more early risk with Allen. But after watching both play their rookie seasons I think we made the right choice. Do you want to risk hurting Josh's confidence by bringing in Rosen? Are the Cardinals going to want a 1st, which I would NOT give them? If I were the Bill's I'd not consider this strategy but I can clearly see why some would. I'm one of those rare members who believed drafting 2 QBs the same season was something to consider. But under this scenario we already have tape on both guys.

All valid points, which is why it's NEVER going to happen. I would like to think that Allen's confidence wouldn't be rattled if he's THE GUY, but players are human beings.

I guess I can summarize it by saying I like the idea, but not necessarily the plan if that makes any sense. Also have very little confidence that Rosen will ever be a top flight QB, so there's that.

New Era suggested he'd be more comfortable spending a 3rd(which wouldn't be enough) and I tend to agree with that. If you use a 2nd, it hurts the team this year and would potentially be more harmful to JA's confidence. The less capital you spend to acquire the "alternative," the less it feels like the organization doesn't have full confidence in JA.

It's just been so long since we've had a franchise QB so I'm intrigued by the idea of a contingency plan. 

• Like (+1) 1