Unpopular Take. The Bills should trade for Rosen

On 3/28/2019 at 11:35 PM, Zerovotlz said:

I did address this in the thread...and I can agree there is some validity to this....my coutner point is that Aikman probalby didn't think it was cool for Jimmy to bring in Walsh.  Aikman didn't complain or whine about it...he competed and won.  I'd like to think that Allen, who is a professional athlete being handsomely paid...would also compete...If Allen folded up into the fetal position because Rosen arrived on the scene then Allen was never your guy to begin with probably.  

You missed the point. I’m sure that although Allen would be pissed, he’d take it in stride because he’s a gamer and is really competitive. It’s about the message that kind of trade sends to the rest of the team.

Not only do we not believe in Josh anymore but we’ll give up on you too before you’ve really had the chance to prove yourself one way or the other.

It’s a terrible precedent to set. That’s why I said we’re probably a year away from being able to make a trade like this and have the other leaders in the locker room back it. You need buy in from your football team to win. Right now there’s buy in when it comes to Allen. The coaching staff / front office could lose the team if they moved too early.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, Zerovotlz said:

.....In 1989, Jimmy Johnson, having just drafted Troy Aikman, 1/1, used what ended up being his 1990 first round draft pick in the 1989 Supplemental draft on QB Steve Walsh from the U.  Some of you may remember Walsh was a big time college QB at the time.  Johnson, when asked why he had done this said that QB was too important to get wrong.  He needed to make sure he had one.  No one really remembers much about it because Aikman won that competition, went on to win 3 Super Bowls...and Walsh was traded to the Saints for draft picks.  ....keep that in mind....

As much as many of you have cherry picked the stats to pieces and conjured up every possible scenario to hide the blight of Josh Allens horrendous 52% completion PCT....the fact is, as exciting and athlietic as he is...Josh Allen is still a major question mark to everyone outside western New York (yes Bills fans...where you see a an ascending future MVP QB, the rest of the country sees a gifted athlete who isn't a good thrower)  

Rosen is cheap.  He can be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

While the Bills certainly still have plenty of spots to fill and could use that 2nd to do that....what if you had Rosen on hand in case Josh Allen can't get that Comp % up above 55?  What if you had the next blue chip prospect already on your roster and under contract if it turns out you've rebuilt the roster, have all this young talent ready to go, and your QB turns out to be a bust?  You wouldn't need to rebuild again...you'd have Rosen ready to go.

You might argure making such a move would damage Allens confidence.  Maybe it would...but Aikman handled Johnson drafting Walsh, manned up and won that battle.  If Allen has the fortitude he's said to posses around here...he'd compete.  

If Allen did turn out to be what you all are hoping for, Rosen would remain something of an unknown blue chip prospect that had value and could be traded for something useful next year.  

If the object of having a pro football team is to WIN...then getting QB right is worth making this kind of move.  That's why Jimmy did it.  Just something to think about....these kind of situations don't come around often.

This idea could work if every NFL from office fell into a coma last season and didn't see Rosen play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This idea could work if every NFL from office fell into a coma last season and didn't see Rosen play.

I watched most of their games last season and to be honest, he was decent for a rookie on a horrible team. He's a lot better than I thought he would be. If he went to a stable situation and got a year or two of experience behind a veteran QB then I can totally see him being a very good starter.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

I understand the entire premise of this thread. However, what I cant seem to wrap my head around is IF the Bills' front office liked Rosen to begin with why not take him over Allen? Obviously they liked Allen better. Now what makes the OP think the Bills' front office likes Rosen better now than before when the team that drafted (moved up for him) no longer wants him around- not even as a backup AND to give up a premium pick for? They wouldn't. NOW add in the fact that what would the front office see in Allen they didnt like in order to hedge their bets like this? Again... they would have seen nothing.

Finally,  I was NOT an Allen fan coming out of college mostly due to my own ignorance/inexperience watching Allen and buying into the national narrative. Yes I am a Bills' fan so I will be jaded so to speak BUT I like to think I am as objective as a fan can be. I have seen Allen 1 improve from pre injury to post injury 2 watched him win over vets and new guys alike 3 been very entertained watching his talented play with subpar talent around him and 4 seen that his "inaccuracy issues" stem largely because the dude loves to chuck the rock downfield.  I watched the all-22 on him multiple times and I see a gun slinger that needs to take more of the easier shots. IF he does....his "accuracy" improves tremendously.

10 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I understand the entire premise of this thread. However, what I cant seem to wrap my head around is IF the Bills' front office liked Rosen to begin with why not take him over Allen? Obviously they liked Allen better. Now what makes the OP think the Bills' front office likes Rosen better now than before when the team that drafted (moved up for him)

I'm not advocating for the move, but giving up a 2nd for Rosen would certainly NOT indicate that they like him more than Allen, or in general. For all we know, they had them rated closely and Allen had the slight edge.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not advocating for the move, but giving up a 2nd for Rosen would certainly NOT indicate that they like him more than Allen, or in general. For all we know, they had them rated closely and Allen had the slight edge.

Actually, your posts seem to advocate for it - which I dont mind. You can have an opinion (no matter how bad it is lol). However, there is no way this happens or even crosses the mind of the front office or they would have signed different QBs to back Josh up. They have had no actual nor any innuendo that the front office is not happy with Josh. Finally,  they are going to continue to surround him with  talent.

14 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Actually, your posts seem to advocate for it - which I dont mind. You can have an opinion (no matter how bad it is lol). However, there is no way this happens or even crosses the mind of the front office or they would have signed different QBs to back Josh up. They have had no actual nor any innuendo that the front office is not happy with Josh. Finally,  they are going to continue to surround him with  talent.

I wouldn't do it for a 2nd. I'd do it for a 3rd(which wouldn't be enough.) 

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why would you trade a 3rd for a backup QB when we already have a competent one?

As an investment and a contingency plan. I don't like Rosen, but I'm not convinced he's NOT gonna be a franchise QB and I'm not convinced Allen IS gonna be a franchise QB. For the record, I prefer Allen to Rosen by a pretty wide margin.

I know it seems like some far fetched radical possibility, but Allen MAY NOT pan out. 

I've seen enough Bills QB's fail. I want to have as many options as possible at the position.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, without a drought said:

If I was the GM of a team that had a question at QB or an aging QB. I would trade a 3rd for Rosen without any hesitation. This is not any endorsement of Rosen, who knows what he will be,  it's just a cheap way to get someone who could be.

No way with his "supposed" attitude and arrogance would I want him sitting behind my young QB. I sense he would be very disruptive in the QB room. On the other hand, if all Inhad was an aging QB or someone who is known for filling in.....I would do it in a heartbeat for a 2nd at most.

Im pretty sure thats why they brought in Barkley, he's still young enough to be a starter for a team like the Bills if something heaven forbid should go wrong for Allen & if he plays any where near what he did in the one game he played in last year the guy wouldn't be a bad choice .

But with that being said i wouldn't mind Beane keeping his eyes open to find some one like the kid that took over last year for the 49ers or possibly a late draft pick to develop because keeping Anderson now that they have the new QB coach that they do i would rather have a developmental QB i think than a guy that can't take a hit & is mainly there to be a second QB coach .

Hopefully it works out & Anderson will only be there this year then they can fill that spot with a younger up & comer to the NFL ranks in next years draft or FA  !!