Unpopular Take. The Bills should trade for Rosen

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The basic argument that Rosen can be had for cheap has merit. However, if that was the only criterion, why shouldnt Arizona keep him as insurance instead of trading him for pennies on the dollar? The obvious reason he can be had for cheap is that there can only be one Queen Bee to a hive!!

You cant have the cake and eat it too mate. Either say that Rosen is a good backup in which case Arizona should keep him rather than trade him to the Bills for peanuts. Or say, there can only be one King and that is why Arizona is going to let him go for cheap which means that the Bills (with Allen as the unquestioned king) should not acquire him even if he can be had for cheap.

I said earlier on in this post somewhere that the Cardinals SHOULD keep him and draft Murray for this very reason.  If I was on a Cardinals board, I'd be advocating they hold on to him.  ....that would be very similar to the Cowboys taking Aikman then Walsh and keeping both until 1 emerged.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The basic argument that Rosen can be had for cheap has merit. However, if that was the only criterion, why shouldnt Arizona keep him as insurance instead of trading him for pennies on the dollar? The obvious reason he can be had for cheap is that there can only be one Queen Bee to a hive!!

You cant have the cake and eat it too mate. Either say that Rosen is a good backup in which case Arizona should keep him rather than trade him to the Bills for peanuts. Or say, there can only be one King and that is why Arizona is going to let him go for cheap which means that the Bills (with Allen as the unquestioned king) should not acquire him even if he can be had for cheap.

A welcome bit of logic to the thread.  At the same time, teams don't typically earn the #1 pick by making all the right decisions.

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....In 1989, Jimmy Johnson, having just drafted Troy Aikman, 1/1, used what ended up being his 1990 first round draft pick in the 1989 Supplemental draft on QB Steve Walsh from the U.  Some of you may remember Walsh was a big time college QB at the time.  Johnson, when asked why he had done this said that QB was too important to get wrong.  He needed to make sure he had one.  No one really remembers much about it because Aikman won that competition, went on to win 3 Super Bowls...and Walsh was traded to the Saints for draft picks.  ....keep that in mind....

As much as many of you have cherry picked the stats to pieces and conjured up every possible scenario to hide the blight of Josh Allens horrendous 52% completion PCT....the fact is, as exciting and athlietic as he is...Josh Allen is still a major question mark to everyone outside western New York (yes Bills fans...where you see a an ascending future MVP QB, the rest of the country sees a gifted athlete who isn't a good thrower)  

Rosen is cheap.  He can be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

While the Bills certainly still have plenty of spots to fill and could use that 2nd to do that....what if you had Rosen on hand in case Josh Allen can't get that Comp % up above 55?  What if you had the next blue chip prospect already on your roster and under contract if it turns out you've rebuilt the roster, have all this young talent ready to go, and your QB turns out to be a bust?  You wouldn't need to rebuild again...you'd have Rosen ready to go.

You might argure making such a move would damage Allens confidence.  Maybe it would...but Aikman handled Johnson drafting Walsh, manned up and won that battle.  If Allen has the fortitude he's said to posses around here...he'd compete.  

If Allen did turn out to be what you all are hoping for, Rosen would remain something of an unknown blue chip prospect that had value and could be traded for something useful next year.  

If the object of having a pro football team is to WIN...then getting QB right is worth making this kind of move.  That's why Jimmy did it.  Just something to think about....these kind of situations don't come around often.

? 

nope, horrible idea

Just now, Buffalo86 said:

A welcome bit of logic to the thread.  At the same time, teams don't typically earn the #1 pick by making all the right decisions.

Again....Arizona should keep him.....since they aren't though....and since he is available....in my opinion....he would make the ideal insuarnce policy (INSUARANCE POLICY!) to have in case Allen doesn't become what you hope for.  It is rare that such a prospect would be available to have as a hedge in such a case.  Jimmy Johnson...who knew what he was doing clearly.....had this same strategy form the beginning of his run with the Cowboys.  He gave himself the best odds to have that franchise guy.  I can't stress enough...I am not arguing you drafted the wrong Josh....or that Rosen is better.  I am NOT making that case here.  I am pointing out that this is a very unusual chance to increase your odds to find "the man".  Once Allen becomes the man...oyu trade Rosen....or if Allen doesn't, you have Rosen on hand to try.  You already know Barclay is NOT the man....Anderson is NOT the man....

2 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I said earlier on in this post somewhere that the Cardinals SHOULD keep him and draft Murray for this very reason.  If I was on a Cardinals board, I'd be advocating they hold on to him.  ....that would be very similar to the Cowboys taking Aikman then Walsh and keeping both until 1 emerged.

1 minute ago, Buffalo86 said:

As Buffalo86 says, to make OP's idea work, we need a bit of market inefficiency here. To make a Bills trade more palatable, say something like

Beane has recently stated that he is going to still evaluate Qbs in the draft since there may be some QBs who are undervalued that he can subsequently trade for a profit. So if Beane believes that Rosen can be had for cheap and later flipped for more compensation, then we should trade for him. Buy low sell high. I still wouldnt do it, but that at least is consistent with Beane's own statement. 

18 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Again....Arizona should keep him.....since they aren't though....and since he is available....in my opinion....he would make the ideal insuarnce policy (INSUARANCE POLICY!) to have in case Allen doesn't become what you hope for.  It is rare that such a prospect would be available to have as a hedge in such a case.  Jimmy Johnson...who knew what he was doing clearly.....had this same strategy form the beginning of his run with the Cowboys.  He gave himself the best odds to have that franchise guy.  I can't stress enough...I am not arguing you drafted the wrong Josh....or that Rosen is better.  I am NOT making that case here.  I am pointing out that this is a very unusual chance to increase your odds to find "the man".  Once Allen becomes the man...oyu trade Rosen....or if Allen doesn't, you have Rosen on hand to try.  You already know Barclay is NOT the man....Anderson is NOT the man....

I understand & wasn't putting your idea down.  I just preferred igotBILLStopay's counter to the chorus of "you're an idiot, you're not a Bills fan, stay off our board".

• Like (+1) 1