Unpopular Take. The Bills should trade for Rosen

27 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's not the worst idea I've heard. It's obviously not going to happen, but you could stash Rosen away and very likely get that 2nd round pick back down the road. I'm not 100 sold on Allen, so of course I'm "receptive" to a contingency plan. Where it falls apart for me is that I think Rosen is trash. So there's that. The reason I liked the post was because you can't afford to be wrong at QB, so it's at least an interesting proposition.

You are never, ever, EVER getting a 2nd for a QB who was traded after one year and then rode the bench for the next 3.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

I'd be ALL for it!  Mahomes could bust an ankle or shoulder in a car wreck...Rosen is cheap and can be had for a 2nd.  I'd be ALL GOOD with KC doing this.

I'll take the bait...Do you believe that a 2nd round pick is really well spent on a back-up QB who looked VERY shaky last season?  With all the defensive talent that KC lost this offseason, I think a 2nd round pick would be a poor use of resources.  Same for the Bills: Barkley/Anderson will do find as back-up QB's.  

In a year or two, when Rosen has fully flamed out of the NFL, he can spend all his time sitting in a hot tub wearing hateful hats.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You are never, ever, EVER getting a 2nd for a QB who was traded after one year and then rode the bench for the next 3.

You should know by the end of 2019 what you have in Allen.  You'd then either move on from Allen or move on from Rosen.  He is a cheap insurance policy, that you get cash back on when you don't need him anymore if you don't use him.

• Like (+1) 1

...and the first bad game Allen has next year.  "Put in Rosen", "let's see what he has"!  And then Rosen has a bad game, "Put Allen back in"...!   NO MORE *****!  Continue to build the infrastructure of this team around Allen and the Defense.  If Allen is not developing going into year four, then at least you will have the infrastructure around.  You will never recover that 2nd round pick for either one if they were to get cut.  Invest that 2nd round pick for the right 2nd round player.

21 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

You aren't getting my point.  I am NOT arguing that Rosen is better than Allen.  I am suggesting that he is a high potential guy to have on the roster in case Allen busts....or if Allen wins out and is great, then Rosen, still having not gotten much game action, will be considered to have potential and becomes a nice trade piece.  He is the rarest of QB insuarance policies...that is what I am tyring to say.  

To take you seriously for a moment... don't you think Rosen would need to play to get to the point of being effective. This is why you generally don't spend a 2nd round pick on a backup QB if you think you have your #1 on the roster.

If Rosen is so good then why is he available?  The Cards gave up a 3rd and a 5th to take him 10th overall and now supposedly want to trade him less than a year later.  

Nobody knows what Beane thought of Darnold or Mayfield but we know he liked Allen over Rosen.  So far he's been right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 17years&waiting said:

I'll take the bait...Do you believe that a 2nd round pick is really well spent on a back-up QB who looked VERY shaky last season?  With all the defensive talent that KC lost this offseason, I think a 2nd round pick would be a poor use of resources.  Same for the Bills: Barkley/Anderson will do find as back-up QB's.  

In a year or two, when Rosen has fully flamed out of the NFL, he can spend all his time sitting in a hot tub wearing hateful hats.

If you think Rosen = Barkley or Anderson, then NO...it wouldn't be worth the investment.  I would do it for a 2nd because in the case of KC...Rosen > Henne...and cheaper.  If god forbid, Mahomes had a career ending injury or somehow busted out...then Rosen would at least be a better chance to become "the man"  Henne isn't going to ever be that...Henne, Barkley...those guys are out there every year.  Rosen isn't.  Rosen may well suck, but as of now, he's still looked at by many (including me) as someone with potential.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

The fact that he was traded would mitigate future compensation. I'll grant you that. However, the Saints gave up a first AND a 3rd for Steve Walsh, who was beaten in a competition by Troy Aikman. Let's say Allen is awesome and Rosen looks great in mop up duty. There is definitely a scenario in which a team could get MORE for Rosen than they'd currently give up.

Let me say for the record that while I'm not sold on Allen, I like him FAR more than Rosen. I do find the idea of a contingency plan intriguing. It's not going to happen, so it really doesn't matter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DCbillsfan said:

If Rosen is so good then why is he available?  The Cards gave up a 3rd and a 5th to take him 10th overall and now supposedly want to trade him less than a year later.  

Nobody knows what Beane thought of Darnold or Mayfield but we know he liked Allen over Rosen.  So far he's been right.

If I were the Cards...I'd draft Murray AND KEEP Rosen.  They are going to trade him and move on....they view Murray as a generational talent who is better than Rosen.....if you can get a guy who you think can be a generational talent...you get that guy.  

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

The fact that he was traded would mitigate future compensation. I'll grant you that. However, the Saints gave up a first AND a 3rd for Steve Walsh, who was beaten in a competition by Troy Aikman. Let's say Allen is awesome and Rosen looks great in mop up duty. There is definitely a scenario in which a team could get MORE for Rosen than they'd currently give up.

Let me say for the record that while I'm not sold on Allen, I like him FAR more than Rosen. I do find the idea of a contingency plan intriguing. It's not going to happen, so it really doesn't matter.

I really appreciate your viewpoint on this.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Trades from 30 years ago aren't really relevant to today.  Didnt free agency not even start until 1992 or 1993? That changed things.

Bringing in another young QB via draft or trade isn’t a bad idea - it’s a good idea to hedge.  The issue with Rosen is he’s such a different type of QB than Allen that you’d need to have two different offenses installed.  Rosen can’t sub in for the part of Allen to run the b-squad to get them ready during the week, because he’s a totally different type of player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Well said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Zerovotlz said:

If you think Rosen = Barkley or Anderson, then NO...it wouldn't be worth the investment.  I would do it for a 2nd because in the case of KC...Rosen > Henne...and cheaper.  If god forbid, Mahomes had a career ending injury or somehow busted out...then Rosen would at least be a better chance to become "the man"  Henne isn't going to ever be that...Henne, Barkley...those guys are out there every year.  Rosen isn't.  Rosen may well suck, but as of now, he's still looked at by many (including me) as someone with potential.

Going to leave JUST ONE legitimate thought in this thread: if you seriously think the Chiefs are good enough personnel-wise, at present, to spend a 2nd on a backup because 'he's cheaper' than what you've got now in Henne...after losing Houston, Berry, and Ford from that already paper soft defense...you're in for a very sad 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....In 1989, Jimmy Johnson, having just drafted Troy Aikman, 1/1, used what ended up being his 1990 first round draft pick in the 1989 Supplemental draft on QB Steve Walsh from the U.  Some of you may remember Walsh was a big time college QB at the time.  Johnson, when asked why he had done this said that QB was too important to get wrong.  He needed to make sure he had one.  No one really remembers much about it because Aikman won that competition, went on to win 3 Super Bowls...and Walsh was traded to the Saints for draft picks.  ....keep that in mind....

As much as many of you have cherry picked the stats to pieces and conjured up every possible scenario to hide the blight of Josh Allens horrendous 52% completion PCT....the fact is, as exciting and athlietic as he is...Josh Allen is still a major question mark to everyone outside western New York (yes Bills fans...where you see a an ascending future MVP QB, the rest of the country sees a gifted athlete who isn't a good thrower)  

Rosen is cheap.  He can be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

While the Bills certainly still have plenty of spots to fill and could use that 2nd to do that....what if you had Rosen on hand in case Josh Allen can't get that Comp % up above 55?  What if you had the next blue chip prospect already on your roster and under contract if it turns out you've rebuilt the roster, have all this young talent ready to go, and your QB turns out to be a bust?  You wouldn't need to rebuild again...you'd have Rosen ready to go.

You might argure making such a move would damage Allens confidence.  Maybe it would...but Aikman handled Johnson drafting Walsh, manned up and won that battle.  If Allen has the fortitude he's said to posses around here...he'd compete.  

If Allen did turn out to be what you all are hoping for, Rosen would remain something of an unknown blue chip prospect that had value and could be traded for something useful next year.  

If the object of having a pro football team is to WIN...then getting QB right is worth making this kind of move.  That's why Jimmy did it.  Just something to think about....these kind of situations don't come around often.

It is so weird to me that you continue to stick around and talk Bills football. Isn't there a good Chiefs forum somewhere?

And for your one created thread in the past several months, you chose to make a topic featuring the above bolded lines. I mean...sticking around just to troll us about our quarterback?

It seems like once the Bills traded down with the Chiefs, allowing KC to take Mahomes, you gained this vested interest in the Bills and seeing how the trade turned out for both teams. Now that the hay is in the barn and we see that Mahomes is an elite talent, you continue to want to stick around and...gloat? Chime in every now and again about how the QB WE ended up with stinks? Point out in new and different ways that the Chiefs won the trade? What do you want from us?!

I just really don't understand why you're here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1