Unpopular Take. The Bills should trade for Rosen

.....In 1989, Jimmy Johnson, having just drafted Troy Aikman, 1/1, used what ended up being his 1990 first round draft pick in the 1989 Supplemental draft on QB Steve Walsh from the U.  Some of you may remember Walsh was a big time college QB at the time.  Johnson, when asked why he had done this said that QB was too important to get wrong.  He needed to make sure he had one.  No one really remembers much about it because Aikman won that competition, went on to win 3 Super Bowls...and Walsh was traded to the Saints for draft picks.  ....keep that in mind....

As much as many of you have cherry picked the stats to pieces and conjured up every possible scenario to hide the blight of Josh Allens horrendous 52% completion PCT....the fact is, as exciting and athlietic as he is...Josh Allen is still a major question mark to everyone outside western New York (yes Bills fans...where you see a an ascending future MVP QB, the rest of the country sees a gifted athlete who isn't a good thrower)  

Rosen is cheap.  He can be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

While the Bills certainly still have plenty of spots to fill and could use that 2nd to do that....what if you had Rosen on hand in case Josh Allen can't get that Comp % up above 55?  What if you had the next blue chip prospect already on your roster and under contract if it turns out you've rebuilt the roster, have all this young talent ready to go, and your QB turns out to be a bust?  You wouldn't need to rebuild again...you'd have Rosen ready to go.

You might argure making such a move would damage Allens confidence.  Maybe it would...but Aikman handled Johnson drafting Walsh, manned up and won that battle.  If Allen has the fortitude he's said to posses around here...he'd compete.  

If Allen did turn out to be what you all are hoping for, Rosen would remain something of an unknown blue chip prospect that had value and could be traded for something useful next year.  

If the object of having a pro football team is to WIN...then getting QB right is worth making this kind of move.  That's why Jimmy did it.  Just something to think about....these kind of situations don't come around often.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 4
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You apparently liked it.

It's not the worst idea I've heard. It's obviously not going to happen, but you could stash Rosen away and very likely get that 2nd round pick back down the road. I'm not 100 sold on Allen, so of course I'm "receptive" to a contingency plan. Where it falls apart for me is that I think Rosen is trash. So there's that. The reason I liked the post was because you can't afford to be wrong at QB, so it's at least an interesting proposition.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You apparently liked it.

I think it would be the right thing to do given the circumstances.  I lurk around here and post often....I see how much most of you LOVE Josh Allen....and rightfully so...he's an exciting prospect, and your team just make several moves to upgrade the roster around him....and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet....Allen could be everything you all are still hoping for....but IF he doesn't turn out to be that guy....how often does a team ever have a chance to literally stock a BLUE CHIP prospect on the bench as an insurance plan?  That is what Rosen could be for you.  Allen is NOT a sure thing at all at this point.  No matter how you break it down, he's gotta make a staggering improvement on that completion pct.  His past suggests that isn't a given.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....In 1989, Jimmy Johnson, having just drafted Troy Aikman, 1/1, used what ended up being his 1990 first round draft pick in the 1989 Supplemental draft on QB Steve Walsh from the U.  Some of you may remember Walsh was a big time college QB at the time.  Johnson, when asked why he had done this said that QB was too important to get wrong.  He needed to make sure he had one.  No one really remembers much about it because Aikman won that competition, went on to win 3 Super Bowls...and Walsh was traded to the Saints for draft picks.  ....keep that in mind....

As much as many of you have cherry picked the stats to pieces and conjured up every possible scenario to hide the blight of Josh Allens horrendous 52% completion PCT....the fact is, as exciting and athlietic as he is...Josh Allen is still a major question mark to everyone outside western New York (yes Bills fans...where you see a an ascending future MVP QB, the rest of the country sees a gifted athlete who isn't a good thrower)  

Rosen is cheap.  He can be had for a 2nd round draft pick.

While the Bills certainly still have plenty of spots to fill and could use that 2nd to do that....what if you had Rosen on hand in case Josh Allen can't get that Comp % up above 55?  What if you had the next blue chip prospect already on your roster and under contract if it turns out you've rebuilt the roster, have all this young talent ready to go, and your QB turns out to be a bust?  You wouldn't need to rebuild again...you'd have Rosen ready to go.

You might argure making such a move would damage Allens confidence.  Maybe it would...but Aikman handled Johnson drafting Walsh, manned up and won that battle.  If Allen has the fortitude he's said to posses around here...he'd compete.  

If Allen did turn out to be what you all are hoping for, Rosen would remain something of an unknown blue chip prospect that had value and could be traded for something useful next year.  

If the object of having a pro football team is to WIN...then getting QB right is worth making this kind of move.  That's why Jimmy did it.  Just something to think about....these kind of situations don't come around often.

I have two things to say:

1.  For what seems the millionth time if he had two less drops a game or two less throwaways he hits this supposedly magical 60%.  So once and for all drop that nonsense.

2.  You're a Chiefs fan.  Go play on their board.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

I think it would be the right thing to do given the circumstances.  I lurk around here and post often....I see how much most of you LOVE Josh Allen....and rightfully so...he's an exciting prospect, and your team just make several moves to upgrade the roster around him....and we haven't even gotten to the draft yet....Allen could be everything you all are still hoping for....but IF he doesn't turn out to be that guy....how often does a team ever have a chance to literally stock a BLUE CHIP prospect on the bench as an insurance plan?  That is what Rosen could be for you.  Allen is NOT a sure thing at all at this point.  No matter how you break it down, he's gotta make a staggering improvement on that completion pct.  His past suggests that isn't a given.  

I watched Rosen play last season.  Define "BLUE CHIP"...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1