Best ever NFL running back

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, this just isn't true.  Brown played around 230 pounds.  Most of the full backs in the league were 220 to 235 or 240.  None of those other fullback were gaining 1500 yards in a 12 game season .  They were gaining 800.  And qbs were attempting 15 passes a game, so it was no because Brown was getting more carries. They couldnt tackle Brown for the same reasons they couldn't tackle Peterson or Dickerson. 

If you listen to anyone who played or coached in that era, NO ONE talks about Brown being oversized liken you say Chamberlain was oversized. 

And to talk about Sanders' power is silly.  He was a power back just like McCoy.  Just because he ran inside didn't mean he had power,  

Well that’s not really accurate.  Browns combo of size and speed just outmatched the guys on the field.  I didn’t say he was a giant like Wilt, he was just playing with tools very few had back then that are the norm today.

And I don’t know what you are talking about, Sanders had some of the most powerful legs and thighs, he wasn’t just speed and elusiveness.  You need to watch more tape on Barry, he was hard to tackle not just hard to catch.  The comparison to McCoy is not accurate.

I have no issue you want say Brown is 1, heck I’m only putting him at 2, not like I’m saying he’s over rated.  But you are under estimating Barry if you don’t think he had some power in those legs.

1 hour ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Brown without a doubt. Barry would not be playing on super traction artificial fields. He would be playing on chewed up dual use grass fields. Under the field conditions Brown played under Barry isn't even a footnote in history.

Do you have some evidence Barry can’t play on grass?  Because there was no narrative during Barry’s dominance that he wasn’t good on grass.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

So Jim Brown is downgraded because of his overwhelming speed and power but Bo makes the list (ahead of OJ!) for those qualities alone.  ?

I didn’t down grade him, I mean he is #2 on the list lol.  Barry was the most elusive RB ever and probably will never be topped.  Then he also had speed and power too.  I said Brown didn’t face as many of the same type of Athletes on defense that exist in the more modern NFL.  

You seem fixated on Bo, I mean there are people on this thread who said he’s the best ever, yet you’re freaking out I put him 5th lol.  I get you disagree and I am fine with that, its just my opinion on his talent. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Juror#8 said:

You can watch YouTube videos all day of these cats. Though I didn’t see Jim Brown or Sayers play when they played, their plays are there for posterity to enjoy. 

And enjoy they will.

Five hundred years hence, in space communities within galaxies we might not now know exist, people will talk about how amazing, captivating, enjoyable, and splendid Sayers, Brown, Payton, and Simpson were to watch and at their crafts(s). 

And then they’ll say “yet they just weren’t as good as Barry Sanders.”

I love the look into the future. 

What those people will be saying about Sanders is that he had the greatest ENTERTAINMENT value. 

This is a football forum, not an entertainment forum.   If you ask people who know football whom they would choose as their running back to build a championship team, they would not pick Sanders.   Certainly some people wouldn't pick Brown, but very few would pick Sanders.   

The greatest backs are the backs who, along with everything else they can do, will regularly get you three yards when you need two.  Sanders simply wasn't a great power back.  He was a threat to get you 60 when you need 2, but on a percentage basis, on third and two, Sanders was not the guy you wanted to give the ball to.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well that’s not really accurate.  Browns combo of size and speed just outmatched the guys on the field.  I didn’t say he was a giant like Wilt, he was just playing with tools very few had back then that are the norm today.

And I don’t know what you are talking about, Sanders had some of the most powerful legs and thighs, he wasn’t just speed and elusiveness.  You need to watch more tape on Barry, he was hard to tackle not just hard to catch.  The comparison to McCoy is not accurate.

That is an incredibly ridiculous statement. Brown's attributes are not the norm today.   There is exactly ONE player today who has the tools Brown had, and his name is Adrian Peterson.   The fastest guys in the league today, which Brown was, do not have Brown's size.  The 230 to 240 pound backs do not have Brown's speed and ability to change direction.  That's the whole point.  

As for Sanders as a power back, the Lions regularly removed him from the lineup on on first and goal.  He was NOT a great short-yardage back.   He was good at it, but he wasn't great.  

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Joe Cribbs reminds me:

The Bills are definitely in the running for best all time stable of running backs.   OJ, Thurman, Cookie, Cribbs, McCoy, Lynch, McGahee, Henry, Bush, Antowain Smith,  and now Gore.   Just about every team in the league would kill to have Fred Jackson be their EIGHTH best all time running back.   

Think of this:  32 teams in the league, each team should on average have four running backs in the top 128 all time.   The Bills have 11!!!  And that doesn't include Gilchrist, who could very well be in the top 10 best running backs in pro football history.   Okay, drop out Bush and Gore and count Lynch, McGahee and Smith as one instead of three.  That's still 7 of the top 128, plus Gilchrist.   There is an incredible rushing legacy in Buffalo.  

I agree with the "all time running back stable" superiority of the Bills. I made a similar post earlier in this thread.

The Bears (with Sayers and Payton and Bronco Nagurski), The Cowboys (Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Herschel Walker), and the Browns (Brown, Little, Kelly) all have an argument, but the Bills win this one.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

That is an incredibly ridiculous statement. Brown's attributes are not the norm today.   There is exactly ONE player today who has the tools Brown had, and his name is Adrian Peterson.   The fastest guys in the league today, which Brown was, do not have Brown's size.  The 230 to 240 pound backs do not have Brown's speed and ability to change direction.  That's the whole point.  

As for Sanders as a power back, the Lions regularly removed him from the lineup on on first and goal.  He was NOT a great short-yardage back.   He was good at it, but he wasn't great.  

You continue to misunderstand me, guess I am not wording it well enough.

You keep taking my words and applying it to other RBs then and now.  I am talking about the people Brown faced on the defense.  Very few had the tools that many have today to contend with Browns speed and power.  

Defenders today are bigger, stronger, and faster...they aren’t as easy to run over or away from.  Ive said this many times and used Wilt as another example.

If Brown was to play today, his size and speed wouldn’t be as lopsided as it was back then.  That was his biggest advantage, and because I do not believe he has the same advantage in a more modern Era that puts Barry ahead of him IMO.  

And yes, he would be a lot like Adrian Peterson in the modern NFL...who is also not ahead of Barry on the GOAT list.  

And again, you are treating my comments on him as if I said he stinks.  I mean I have him #2 all time.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I love the look into the future. 

What those people will be saying about Sanders is that he had the greatest ENTERTAINMENT value. 

This is a football forum, not an entertainment forum.   If you ask people who know football whom they would choose as their running back to build a championship team, they would not pick Sanders.   Certainly some people wouldn't pick Brown, but very few would pick Sanders.   

The greatest backs are the backs who, along with everything else they can do, will regularly get you three yards when you need two.  Sanders simply wasn't a great power back.  He was a threat to get you 60 when you need 2, but on a percentage basis, on third and two, Sanders was not the guy you wanted to give the ball to.   

Fancy that, a dude with a 2017 join date pontificating to some old-timers [relatively], with whom they’ve never interacted. about what qualifies as “knowing football.” 

I guess just joining the community and putting up a weekly analysis about football games makes you a subject matter expert. 

Just to save you some suspense, there is nothing about this thread, this conversation, or anything that you’ve posted on this forum ever, that’s dispositive of your football knowledge relative to anyone else on this forum. 

You’re delusional if you think that you’re anything more than another guy with an opinion here. If you think that your opinion is more factual than not, back it up with data, not declaratives and back-handed digs designed to devalue the contributions of others. That’s called down-talking anyone who doesn’t agree with you. 

I believe Barry Sanders is the better running back and I believe that he was the best running back of all time. I base that on skill set, capability, impact to the team relative to others around him when he played, career stats relative to years played, composition of that Lions team, prevailing defensive philosophy and trends in the nfl at the time Sanders played, peers playing in the same league contemporaneously, strength of competition, rules, accolades, etc. 

You talk about “get me 3 yards” and you wouldn’t be able to count on Sanders. Yet he averaged 5.0 a carry (only a handful of rbs to do that for their career). 

You’ll invariably say “well he was a home run theeat and that inflated his career averages.” To that I’d wonder why that’s a problem, and I’d retort that he averaged 5.0 yards a carry over a 10 year career - never averaging less that 4.5 in a season. 

Thats remarkable considtency, even despite the negative run plays. So in truth, yea I would put Sanders in needing 3 yards. Statistically I have a great chance of getting those three. 

Anyway, I don’t base my assessment of Sanders, specifically on a single highlight vid or on a 30-for-30 episode. 

Wondering if there was ever a running back better than Barry Sanders is like walking around with some solution in search of an attributive problem. And Sanders did everything he did with arguably the worst supporting cast in history throughout his career. 

1. Sanders

2. Payton

3. Brown

4. Sayers

5. Peterson

... (somewhere unranked but easily top-20 -  Dickerson, Faulk, Gilchrist, Smith, Jackson, Thomas, Simpson, Tomlinson, Campbell)

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn’t down grade him, I mean he is #2 on the list lol.  Barry was the most elusive RB ever and probably will never be topped.  Then he also had speed and power too.  I said Brown didn’t face as many of the same type of Athletes on defense that exist in the more modern NFL.  

You literally said that the fact that Brown was so much bigger and faster than his contemporaries prevented you from putting him at the top of of your list (apparently you were untroubled by the fact that you never actually saw him play).  How is that not downgrading him?

1 minute ago, mannc said:

You literally said that the fact that Brown was so much bigger and faster than his contemporaries prevented you from putting him at the top of of your list (apparently you were untroubled by the fact that you never actually saw him play).  How is that not downgrading him?

First I have seen him play.  These kinds of comments remind me of when someone swears movies, music, food, games, etc were all better as they remember them from when they were a kid.  

I get it, people are going to partial to be what they know.  But it’s not hard to watch Brown play, and I am a football junkie and seen plenty of him especially being a general fan of his overall.

There is no right or wrong answer on GOAT discussions, it’s subjective.  I do not agree that Brown would have dominated to the degree he did had he played later.  Would he still be great, yes, he was very talented.  Could he have been just like Adrian Peterson, probably.   But again, I have Barry ahead of AP too.

Barry was just IMO the best RB ever and would be the best RB in the NFL in any era he played.  He is my GOAT.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/28/2019 at 9:19 PM, CDogg20 said:

Great discussions here, really expected to see everyone agree on Barry here but cases can be made for a couple. 

For me I would have to say Barry Sanders. The NFL probably won’t see another talent like him at RB. Walter gets a nod from me as well. Either of those two I can’t argue with. 

Anyone who says Emmitt should be kicked off the board ?

Your emoji says you are joking? Not a Cowgirl fan but Smith was a great back. Consider the playoff game he played with a separated shoulder and they just kept feeding him the ball and he kept getting first downs. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I agree with the "all time running back stable" superiority of the Bills. I made a similar post earlier in this thread.

The Bears (with Sayers and Payton and Bronco Nagurski), The Cowboys (Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Herschel Walker), and the Browns (Brown, Little, Kelly) all have an argument, but the Bills win this one.

The Bills have had 1,000+ yard rushers for 30 of their 59 seasons of existence. I believe that is the highest percentage of all 32 NFL franchises. And only the Bears (31) and Rams (33) have had more total seasons with a 1,000+ yard rusher. Also, thirteen different Buffalo RB's have rushed for 1,000+ yards: Gilchrist, OJ, Terry Miller, Cribbs, Greg Bell, Thurman, Antowain Smith, Henry, McGahee, Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, and McCoy. 10-15 years from now, the Bills may very well have 5 RB's in the Hall of Fame and among the top 30 RB's of all time: OJ, Thurman, Lynch, McCoy, and Gore. I'd put Gore at 99%, McCoy at 75%, and Lynch at 50% chance (if he doesn't retire this year) of the Hall of Fame right now. Since 1960, this franchise has always prioritized the RB position because of the idea that the weather here makes it difficult for QB's to throw with any consistency. This mindset should have become less relevant after the emergence of West Coast offenses and the modern passing game in general, but it hasn't. Jim Kelly altered this mindset a bit, but then the idea was that you needed to be a physically big QB with a very strong arm to have any success here. So for almost 25 years, management threw 1st round picks away chasing the big arm (RJ, Bledsoe, Losman, Manuel) at the expense of the more cerebral aspects of the QB position. Even now, Josh Allen is sort of a continuation of this philosophy. Although he is actually very bright and hard-working, so he definitely has a chance to buck the trend of failed Buffalo QB's since the mid-90's.

Oops...sorry for the QB rant...lol...

Getting back to the OP, I think an emerging consensus here is one between Jim Brown vs. Barry Sanders for greatest RB ever. I'm leaning toward Sanders at the moment for three reasons:

1. Fumbles per touch. Sanders (once per 83 touches) beats Brown (once per 46 touches) by a decent amount. Turnovers are the most important determining statistic in the outcome of football games (next to the obvious of points).

2. Quality of teammates. Football is very much a team sport. Sanders had a lot less (OL, QB, coaching, defense) to work with than Brown throughout his career.

3. Running style. A lazy analysis of the RB position might divide it into two types: the between-the-tackles north-south power back (Brown's style) and the outside-the-tackles elusive tailback (Sanders' style). Both have value to an offense. Both are incorporated in every offensive playbook. I would argue that the talent gap between Sanders and the rest of the great RB's that ran his style is much larger than the gap between Brown and the rest of the power RB's in pro football history. Furthermore, it's a lot harder to maintain elite ability as an outside-the-tackles tailback because of what the aging process and the wear-and-tear of tackle football does to the human body. Although Barry Sanders had such a low center-of-gravity (5'8", 200 lb) to complement his speed and agility that made him better suited to absorb or simply avoid the kinds of hits that wear down a RB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

The Bills have had 1,000+ yard rushers for 30 of their 59 seasons of existence. I believe that is the highest percentage of all 32 NFL franchises. And only the Bears (31) and Rams (33) have had more total seasons with a 1,000+ yard rusher. Also, thirteen different Buffalo RB's have rushed for 1,000+ yards: Gilchrist, OJ, Terry Miller, Cribbs, Greg Bell, Thurman, Antowain Smith, Henry, McGahee, Lynch, Jackson, Spiller, and McCoy. 10-15 years from now, the Bills may very well have 5 RB's in the Hall of Fame and among the top 30 RB's of all time: OJ, Thurman, Lynch, McCoy, and Gore. I'd put Gore at 99%, McCoy at 75%, and Lynch at 50% chance (if he doesn't retire this year) of the Hall of Fame right now. Since 1960, this franchise has always prioritized the RB position because of the idea that the weather here makes it difficult for QB's to throw with any consistency. This mindset should have become less relevant after the emergence of West Coast offenses and the modern passing game in general, but it hasn't. Jim Kelly altered this mindset a bit, but then the idea was that you needed to be a physically big QB with a very strong arm to have any success here. So for almost 25 years, management threw 1st round picks away chasing the big arm (RJ, Bledsoe, Losman, Manuel) at the expense of the more cerebral aspects of the QB position. Even now, Josh Allen is sort of a continuation of this philosophy. Although he is actually very bright and hard-working, so he definitely has a chance to buck the trend of failed Buffalo QB's since the mid-90's.

Oops...sorry for the QB rant...lol...

Getting back to the OP, I think an emerging consensus here is one between Jim Brown vs. Barry Sanders for greatest RB ever. I'm leaning toward Sanders at the moment for three reasons:

1. Fumbles per touch. Sanders (once per 83 touches) beats Brown (once per 46 touches) by a decent amount. Turnovers are the most important determining statistic in the outcome of football games (next to the obvious of points).

2. Quality of teammates. Football is very much a team sport. Sanders had a lot less (OL, QB, coaching, defense) to work with than Brown throughout his career.

3. Running style. A lazy analysis of the RB position might divide it into two types: the between-the-tackles north-south power back (Brown's style) and the outside-the-tackles elusive tailback (Sanders' style). Both have value to an offense. Both are incorporated in every offensive playbook. I would argue that the talent gap between Sanders and the rest of the great RB's that ran his style is much larger than the gap between Brown and the rest of the power RB's in pro football history. Furthermore, it's a lot harder to maintain elite ability as an outside-the-tackles tailback because of what the aging process and the wear-and-tear of tackle football does to the human body. Although Barry Sanders had such a low center-of-gravity (5'8", 200 lb) to complement his speed and agility that made him better suited to absorb or simply avoid the kinds of hits that wear down a RB.

Good analysis. The fumbles per touch is a great stat that I didn’t consider. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You seem fixated on Bo, I mean there are people on this thread who said he’s the best ever, yet you’re freaking out I put him 5th lol.  I get you disagree and I am fine with that, its just my opinion on his talent. 

Downgrading a player because he played in a different era is a category error. You go down that path, and you’re liable to say crazy things like Babe Ruth not being the best MLB player ever. Treat all players in the actual context in which they played. There are no time machines!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Downgrading a player because he played in a different era is a category error. You go down that path, and you’re liable to say crazy things like Babe Ruth not being the best MLB player ever. Treat all players in the actual context in which they played. There are no time machines!

So you think that Michael Jordan and Oscar Robinson or Jerry West are equal because they played in different eras and probably dominated equally in their eras?

Based on a variety of reasons, human beings  have gotten stronger and faster over the last 50 years, writ large. Maybe there was the exceptional athlete in ‘55 who ran a 4.5 40. But now the preponderance of skill position players  run that like it’s nothing.  

Those dominating better athletes should, logically, dominate the lesser athletes even more. And I think that a comparative discussion tilts in the better athlete’s favor. 

Do you feel differently? Or do you feel that athletes, in general, aren’t more athletic relative to 50 years ago? 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Juror#8 said:

Fancy that, a dude with a 2017 join date pontificating to some old-timers [relatively], with whom they’ve never interacted. about what qualifies as “knowing football.” 

I guess just joining the community and putting up a weekly analysis about football games makes you a subject matter expert. 

Just to save you some suspense, there is nothing about this thread, this conversation, or anything that you’ve posted on this forum ever, that’s dispositive of your football knowledge relative to anyone else on this forum. 

You’re delusional if you think that you’re anything more than another guy with an opinion here. If you think that your opinion is more factual than not, back it up with data, not declaratives and back-handed digs designed to devalue the contributions of others. That’s called down-talking anyone who doesn’t agree with you. 

I believe Barry Sanders is the better running back and I believe that he was the best running back of all time. I base that on skill set, capability, impact to the team relative to others around him when he played, career stats relative to years played, composition of that Lions team, prevailing defensive philosophy and trends in the nfl at the time Sanders played, peers playing in the same league contemporaneously, strength of competition, rules, accolades, etc. 

You talk about “get me 3 yards” and you wouldn’t be able to count on Sanders. Yet he averaged 5.0 a carry (only a handful of rbs to do that for their career). 

You’ll invariably say “well he was a home run theeat and that inflated his career averages.” To that I’d wonder why that’s a problem, and I’d retort that he averaged 5.0 yards a carry over a 10 year career - never averaging less that 4.5 in a season. 

Thats remarkable considtency, even despite the negative run plays. So in truth, yea I would put Sanders in needing 3 yards. Statistically I have a great chance of getting those three. 

Anyway, I don’t base my assessment of Sanders, specifically on a single highlight vid or on a 30-for-30 episode. 

Wondering if there was ever a running back better than Barry Sanders is like walking around with some solution in search of an attributive problem. And Sanders did everything he did with arguably the worst supporting cast in history throughout his career. 

1. Sanders

2. Payton

3. Brown

4. Sayers

5. Peterson

... (somewhere unranked but easily top-20 -  Dickerson, Faulk, Gilchrist, Smith, Jackson, Thomas, Simpson, Tomlinson, Campbell)

Ahem.

There are a number of us, Shaw being perhaps the prime example, who spent years discussing the Bills on the BBMB before the team closed it down.  I can assure you that Shea's knowledge of football in general, and of the Bills in particular, is the match of anyone and for the Bills is encyclopedic in nature.  

I think Sanders was a top 5 guy.  But Brown was better in my, and Shaw's, opinion because we are both old enough to have seen each play, along with every other guy mentioned herein.  We don't base it on a short video here and there.  We base it on actually watching games at the time.  There are greats who had power, who had elusiveness, who had speed.  Brown is the one guy I've seen who was at the top of the list in all of such memorables.   He could run away from you, around you or through you.  He would dominate today just as he did in the 60's.

No one has the true answer here.  It's fun to discuss.  Let me suggest you lighten up Francis.  

8 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

So you think that Michael Jordan and Oscar Robinson or Jerry West are equal because they played in different eras and probably dominated equally in their eras?

Based on a variety of reasons, human beings  have gotten stronger and faster over the last 50 years, writ large. Maybe there was the exceptional athlete in ‘55 who ran a 4.5 40. But now the preponderance of skill position players  run that like it’s nothing.  

Those dominating better athletes should, logically, dominate the lesser athletes even more. And I think that a comparative discussion tilts in the better athlete’s favor. 

Do you feel differently? Or do you feel that athletes, in general, aren’t more athletic relative to 50 years ago? 

In general yes.  The greats, not really.  The Big O would dominate the NBA today, just as Brown would dominate the NFL today.  Because each would avail themselves of developments in nutrition, training, etc.  that the more modern athlete has.  

Edited by oldmanfan

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Ahem.

There are a number of us, Shaw being perhaps the prime example, who spent years discussing the Bills on the BBMB before the team closed it down.  I can assure you that Shea's knowledge of football in general, and of the Bills in particular, is the match of anyone and for the Bills is encyclopedic in nature.  

I think Sanders was a top 5 guy.  But Brown was better in my, and Shaw's, opinion because we are both old enough to have seen each play, along with every other guy mentioned herein.  We don't base it on a short video here and there.  We base it on actually watching games at the time.  There are greats who had power, who had elusiveness, who had speed.  Brown is the one guy I've seen who was at the top of the list in all of such memorables.   He could run away from you, around you or through you.  He would dominate today just as he did in the 60's.

No one has the true answer here.  It's fun to discuss.  Let me suggest you lighten up Francis.  

In general yes.  The greats, not really.  The Big O would dominate the NBA today, just as Brown would dominate the NFL today.  Because each would avail themselves of developments in nutrition, training, etc.  that the more modern athlete has.  

I know who he is and I know bbmb. I think he did the rockpile review weekly there.

I was a member there long ago before I brought my talents to this board because, well, it’s better here. 

Two responses:

1. He probably would have better served keeping his brand of football analysis that tells other people who don’t agree with him that they don’t “know football” on the piece of ***** board that folded. 

2. What does his football knowledge have to do with him telling people who don’t agree with him that they must not “know football”? 

I find his words presumptious and condescending.

Not sure it’s a winning play to defend that. 

There are tons of people who feel that Sanders is the better back. Many in this thread have mentioned Sanders as their choice. Telling them that they don’t “know football” is bs. 

Oh, and welcome. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 1