Best ever NFL running back

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I sat in the Rockpile when he was a rookie.  Sat at the homes games in 73.   I saw him, and he was phenomenal.  And I'd still put Brown ahead by a bit.  Because I watched him too.  You had to see Brown with your own eyes to understand.

In '73, the year OJ ran for over 2000 yards in 14 games, Joe Ferguson was the Bills' starting QB, as a rookie.  Fergy averaged 67 yards passing per game, and had a completion percentage of 44 percent.  That's how much help OJ had.  Think he faced few stacked boxes?

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

In '73, the year OJ ran for over 2000 yards in 14 games, Joe Ferguson was the Bills' starting QB, as a rookie.  Fergy averaged 67 yards passing per game, and had a completion percentage of 44 percent.  That's how much help OJ had.  Think he faced few stacked boxes?

OJ is in my top three.  Him, Brown, Sanders.  OJ is the best RB I ever saw live.  His ability to cut and accelerate were unmatched.  He had stacked defenses and also had an incredible O line.  Perhaps you've heard of the Electric Company.

It is fun to have these debates.  You could probably put 20 guys on a potential list. And make a solid case as some have here for different guys.  Unlike many here I'm old enough to have actually watched them all.  And to me Brown was the best.  Not by miles, by a bit.  OJ had speed and cutting.  Brown did too but also power.  That edges him out over the others.  The only guy I can think of that might remind me of Brown was Bo, and maybe Campbell.

20 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Nobody could take it the distance like the juice. Name anybody else who could 80 yards for a TD anytime.

Nobody except Brown.

10 minutes ago, Plano said:

#1 all time - OJ. Nobody was better. Period.

Nobody except Brown.  

Walter Payton !!

There was nobody else on those teams and opponents would gear up just to stop him and nobody could! Against Dallas on one Thanksgiving day when the Cowboys were good under Landry, Walter just tore them up all on his own. 

Other RBs had good teams around them....1977 Bears had Bob Avellini (who?) at QB 11TDs, 18 INTs. Sweetness rushed in 14 games for 1852 yards. That season they went to the playoffs all on Payton as the Bears best WR was James Scott...who? Sweetness didn't have great talent around him until the very end of his career. 

The Juice had Joe Ferguson at QB at the Electric Co to block for him, Jim Braxton at FB, JD Hill, Bob Chandler at WR, Paul Seymour at TE.

Jim Brown was on Championship teams with Ernie Green at HB, Paul Warfield at SE. 

BTW, Thurman kept Barry Sanders on the bench at OSU! Sanders was on five playoff teams with some halfway decent talent with Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton at WR who were both 1000 yard receivers in 1997. PS Frank Reich at backup QB, Pete Metzelaars at TE.

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Walter Payton !!

There was nobody else on those teams and opponents would gear up just to stop him and nobody could! Against Dallas on one Thanksgiving day when the Cowboys were good under Landry, Walter just tore them up all on his own. 

Other RBs had good teams around them....1977 Bears had Bob Avellini (who?) at QB 11TDs, 18 INTs. Sweetness rushed in 14 games for 1852 yards. That season they went to the playoffs all on Payton as the Bears best WR was James Scott...who? Sweetness didn't have great talent around him until the very end of his career. 

The Juice had Joe Ferguson at QB at the Electric Co to block for him, Jim Braxton at FB, JD Hill, Bob Chandler at WR, Paul Seymour at TE.

Jim Brown was on Championship teams with Ernie Green at HB, Paul Warfield at SE. 

BTW, Thurman kept Barry Sanders on the bench at OSU! Sanders was on five playoff teams with some halfway decent talent with Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton at WR who were both 1000 yard receivers in 1997. PS Frank Reich at backup QB, Pete Metzelaars at TE.

Then Sanders got the job at OSU... and ran for 2600 yards and 37 TDs... in 11 games.  Gordon came close to the record but it took 14 games.  Same with Ball and 33 TDs - took 14 games.

Edited by dneveu

Payton didn’t have the speed as the juice. I just don’t think he had the moves like the juice.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Nobody except Brown.

Nobody except Brown.  

Did jimmy have long runs like the juice?

1 minute ago, Helpmenow said:

Payton didn’t have the speed as the juice. I just don’t think he had the moves like the juice.

Payton was amazing in a different way.  He didn't have any of the classic attributes of any of the great ones - he didn't have great speed, he didn't have great moves, he didn't have great power, but he had just the right combinations of just enough of all those things that he was a great, great back.  

48 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I have no quarrel with your opinion regarding Payton.  But go look at Fergy's stats in 1973, the year OJ busted out for 2003 yards: 67 yards passing per game and a completion percentage of 44%.  Fergy was hardly keeping the defenses honest.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I have no quarrel with your opinion regarding Payton.  But go look at Fergy's stats in 1973, the year OJ busted out for 2003 yards: 67 yards passing per game and a completion percentage of 44%.  Fergy was hardly keeping the defenses honest.   

Cherry picking. He was a rookie in ‘73 and split time with Dennis Shaw. By ‘75, he was a top QB in the League.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Cherry picking. He was a rookie in ‘73 and split time with Dennis Shaw. By ‘75, he was a top QB in the League.

True, but three of OJ's five dominant years happened before 1975.  

33 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Did jimmy have long runs like the juice?

Juice was effortlessly at apparent full speed after a step and then could turn it on if he saw the opening, recently Bell for the Steelers was going a lot slower with his "stutter" and read and then plunge, Juice was doing it at twice the speed of Bell...

Jim Brown just ran over everyone because he was bigger than men on the D-line back then

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Juice was effortlessly at apparent full speed after a step and then could turn it on if he saw the opening, recently Bell for the Steelers was going a lot slower with his "stutter" and read and then plunge, Juice was doing it at twice the speed of Bell...

Jim Brown just ran over everyone because he was bigger than men on the D-line back then

Your description of the Juice is accurate. 

Your description of Brown isn't.