Best ever NFL running back

For me, the best overall running back I saw play was Walter Payton.  His combination of power, fearlessness, speed, receiving ability, elusiveness, blocking and football smarts is unparalleled.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright
  • Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

I remember this,also, growing up in Niagara Falls. Not only was Jim Brown the greatest running back of all time, in my opinion he is the greatest football player of all time. He had to be seen to be appreciated! 

I never saw Brown play, but my dad grew up in Cleveland and said exactly what you just said—and that he might also have been one of the greatest athletes of all time.  

36 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

There is no definitive greatest all time running back the way Brady and Rice are the definitive greatest all time quarterback and receiver, respectively.  That is the answer.  

You could make a strong case for Brown, Payton or Sanders and not be right or wrong.

I’m absolutely amazed that on a Bills board, OJ Simpson is left off anyone’s list.  In his prime, which admittedly was too short, there was never anyone better, before or since.  (OK, I never saw Jim Brown play.). OJ had it all—sprinter’s speed on a 215 pound frame, incredible balance and vision, and he was an excellent receiver, too.  He made it all look effortless.  It’s too bad his first three years in Buffalo were wasted playing for coaches who were too stupid to know what they had.

Next to OJ, Barry Sanders was just a gadget back—fun to watch, but that’s it.  And of course he never won squat.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m absolutely amazed that on a Bills board, OJ Simpson is left off anyone’s list.  In his prime, which admittedly was too short, there was never anyone better, before or since.  (OK, I never saw Jim Brown play.). OJ had it all—sprinter’s speed on a 215 pound frame, incredible balance and vision, and he was an excellent receiver, too.  He made it all look effortless.  It’s too bad his first three years in Buffalo were wasted playing for coaches who were too stupid to know what they had.

Next to OJ, Barry Sanders was just a gadget back—fun to watch, but that’s it.  And of course he never won squat.

It's possible to be objective and still be a Bills fan.  Travis Henry was the best running back ever.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sven233 said:

Depends on what you're looking for.  Barry Sanders was the best that I saw, but you could make arguments from Jim Brown, OJ, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson or a bunch of other guys.  You could make a great argument for Thurman with the way he could run it, catch it, and block.  Thurman might be the best all around back ever.  Just depends on what you want in your RB.

As much as I loved Bo he doesn't deserve to be in this discussion. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Barry a gadget back? I don't know if I should laugh or cry of laughing. ?

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its without question:  Barry Sanders.  

I get all the Brown hype, but thats like saying Wilt Chamberlain was the best Center ever...he was not.  Brown had such a physical advantage and led the NFL rushing many times because of it.  But he was not the most talented RB to ever play.  

Barry was most talented RB the NFL has ever seen and may ever see.  And he did it on terrible teams behind terrible OL's every single year.  Yet he would be atop the record books as the all time leading rusher had he not retired young.  And he did all that in an era where the passing game was much more of a factor.  Brown did it when all they did was run.  

I agree watching film of Barry gives me that same feeling as when I watch Michael Jordan.  Just watching these 2 players u sense and see utter greatness unmatched by there peers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Barry Sanders hands down!!!!!!!!!! For those who said Jim Brown give me a break!!!

Did you ever see him play?  If not you have no basis for comparison.  Give me a break.

Sanders was great no doubt.  But you watch Barry and sometimes he would get caught behind the line trying to juke guys, etc.  of course when he did juke them it was amazing to watch.  I don' t know that I ever saw Brown get taken down behind the line, and more times than not he dragged a bunch of guys with him.

There were so many great ones.  Sayers, Payton, Campbell, OJ, Dickerson, Peterson, LT, and on and on.  You can make an argument for any, but having watched them all I have to put Brown at the top.  A perfect combination of speed and power; he'd be dominant in any era.

12 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

brown was a machine. sanders, man, the moves. OJ, no need to explain, greatness on the field. walter payton, sweetness. past players off the top of my head.

hard to say of any present rbs that will be considered in the greatest conversation, but there are a few out there.

but when speaking of the best ever, I too would go with sanders. 

Watch on YouTube

So many uncalled illegal blocks in the back in that clip lol.

18 minutes ago, hemma said:

Jim Brown.

As a Brown's fan, it was a sad, sad day when he retired.

It was sad. He retired in his prime at the end of the 1965 season to focus on acting in movies. I was a kid growing up in Niagara Falls. Maybe you remember that back then both the browns and the bills were televised every Sunday in western New York. I’ve always been a bills fan. For a while the Browns were my second team. 

If Brown had played out his natural physical career they would still be chasing him for the all-time leading rusher.

One of my best years as a fan was 1964 when the bills one the AFL championship in the Browns won the NFL championship.

I also remember that Lee Roy Kelly took over for brown after he retired and was a great running back for several years after that.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

In Buffalo we have had our fair share of phenomenal RB’s.  So, think league wide who was the best ever?  I would have to vote for Barry Sanders.  The guy really had no other real help in his career.  It is simply amazing to see some of the moves he could make.  Take a look at his highlights then tell the rest of us who has your vote.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/all-time-greats/0ap3000000940393/Barry-Sanders-career-highlights-NFL-Legends

I’d vote Barry as well. A true savage with no supporting cast and stacked boxes consistently