Best ever NFL running back

As it stands, Barry Sanders. But had we been able to witness Bo Jackson over a full career, he would have put the argument to bed and nobody would ever be close. He was just dominant. But, like I said, as it stands right now; is Barry 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I remember this,also, growing up in Niagara Falls. Not only was Jim Brown the greatest running back of all time, in my opinion he is the greatest football player of all time. He had to be seen to be appreciated! 

Yeah, I agree that he had to be seen, which I didn't see.  But I'd definitely say Sanders or him w/o much debate otherwise.  Again, particularly if longetivity is in the mix.  Brown quit early on top following a monster season at age 29.  

35 minutes ago, Roch Jim said:

JIm Brown---hands down. Led the league in rushing 8 of his 9 years. Averaged 100 yards a game. Not flashy like Barry just brutally effective

Barry sanders own dad thought Jim Brown was better or at least that’s how he publicly made it sound.

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Jim Brown and it's not even close. If he played in today's NFL, he'd be the one penalized for brutalizing would be tacklers

If he played in the NFL today he would struggle to run for 1000 yards.  His style does not translate.  But thats ok, different eras. Just like if Wilt Chamberlain played in the NBA today he would never sniff 100 points.  He may struggle to get 100 points over 4 consecutive games let alone one.  But Brown was the best of his era, no doubt and a legend no doubt.  But sorry he just would not have anything close to the same career today.  Barry would be untouchable in any era he played.  He probably would have averaged 2000 yards a season had he played in Browns era, even on the shorter seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's Barry Sanders and it's not even close IMO.

Those that claim he never won need to understand he played his entire career for the most moribund franchise in the NFL. He actually did CARRY them to the NFC Championship Game.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

If he played in the NFL today he would struggle to run for 1000 yards.  His style does not translate.  But thats ok, different eras. Just like if Wilt Chamberlain played in the NBA today he would never sniff 100 points.  He may struggle to get 100 points over 4 consecutive games let alone one.  But Brown was the best of his era, no doubt and a legend no doubt.  But sorry he just would not have anything close to the same career today.  Barry would be untouchable in any era he played.  He probably would have averaged 2000 yards a season had he played in Browns era, even on the shorter seasons.  

Not taking anything away from what Sanders did, but in Brown's era, more than likely, he would have been injured quite a bit more often. That's a lot of what made Jim so tough, he dished out the punishment first. They didn't stress much emphasis on player safety in those days

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Today's bottom RBs would dominate the 50s-60s NFL . It's barely the same game.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

I'd agree with that, especially if we're talking about longetivity as part of the mix.  

If we're talking single best season there's lots of room for debate.  

I would put OJ's 2000 yards in a 14 game season up against anyone's best.

• Like (+1) 2

If you wanted to make the greatest RB of all time and took these traits:

1. The feet of Barry Sanders
  2. The agility of Marshal Faulk
  3. The patience of LeVeon Bell
  4. The strength of Emmit Smith
  5. The Speed of Bo Jackson
  6. The hands of Thurman Thomas

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

You would still have Barry Sanders.  Its him.  No Question.  Watch highlights reels to remind yourself.  Than also watch that he faced 8 men in the box every play of his career practically and played behind a terrible OL on mostly bad teams.  Then sit back in awe and imagine had he played for the Cowboys instead of Emmit.  

G O A T 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Not taking anything away from what Sanders did, but in Brown's era, more than likely, he would have been injured quite a bit more often. That's a lot of what made Jim so tough, he dished out the punishment first. They didn't stress much emphasis on player safety in those days

Thats on Jim to dish out punishment.  That was Jims style.  Had Barry played in his era, Barry would have played his same style and people forget how physical Barry was.  He ran over and threw people too, not just around them.  Barry was speed, power, agility, and so much more in one package.

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Had Bo Jackson not injured his hip, he'd be in this conversation too

I do agree with that

Edited by Alphadawg7