On the Pro Day Scene with Brandon Beane

https://theathletic.com/893205/2019/03/28/on-the-pro-day-scene-with-brandon-beane-how-the-bills-gm-plans-his-visits-and-evaluates-talent/

Some scouts get bent out of shape wondering why a prospect is participating in certain drills and not others. Take, for instance, Steelers college scouting director Kelvin Fisher who was in attendance Wednesday. When N’Keal Harry decided he was only going to run routes and not take part in drills like the three-cone and short-shuttle, scouts took exceptions. Fisher took the liberty of pulling him aside and disparaging him for not being willing to “dominate” every drill

i wonder who this is...

This isn’t always a simple X’s and O’s session, either. Scouts are paying attention to everything when they ask a player to set up a private meeting or workout. Beane recalled an email this week from an assistant coach on one of his players who wasn’t on time for a private workout.

“The guy was late twice with a coach at another school ready to meet with him,” Beane said. “I already had some questions on his dedication and love for the game. We’ll talk about it when we get back (for draft meetings), but right now, he’s off my board. He’s a pretty good player. I’m not into that.”

Beane doesn’t want to be on the hook for a player who can’t be counted on.

“Shame on me for bringing a guy in here and he’s late for stuff and I knew it,” Beane said. “There’s been some traces of it, and this is more confirmation. That’s all part of it.”

Edited by YoloinOhio

No point of having Duplicate threads....

The Athletic' is worth the subscription price, the articles have been really good for the Bills at least (NY Yankees and NY Rangers - I know, coverage isn't that great IMO). I pulled out some juicy bits....

https://theathletic.com/893205/2019/03/28/on-the-pro-day-scene-with-brandon-beane-how-the-bills-gm-plans-his-visits-and-evaluates-talent/

If Brandon Beane is at Arizona State’s pro day, that must mean the Bills are huge fans of wide receiver N’Keal Harry. In reality, Beane was staying 20 minutes down the road at the Arizona Biltmore for the NFL owners meetings. His West Coast scout was at another pro day, so Beane stepped in.

“Can’t be in two places at one time,” Beane said.

But Beane finds value in watching a player work in person. He gets to see how a player interacts in his environment, among his college teammates.

“It’s checking another box,” Beane said. “That’s why we continue to dig. Those are the things you don’t get if you’re not here in person.”

“Part of it is, what do we need?” Beane said. “Do we need to see him physically? Have we seen him enough?”

“That’s how we prioritize,” Beane said. “If it’s a guy we physically need to see move, well, then somebody has to go there. But where are we at on his learning? If we’re not convinced that he can do it, while you’re there working him out, spend an hour in the meeting room with him. Can I teach him one spot? Can I get him there and he can learn it?”

If a scout asks a prospect to arrange a private workout or dinner, every part of that process is a test. Can he set up a film session with the video coordinator? Can he schedule a dinner reservation?

“Can he do all of that?” Beane said. “Is he going to be a pro? Some guys have everything lined up.

Beane recalled his time in Carolina when he had a private visit scheduled with then-Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews.

“He had dinner reservations and we walk in, and he was sitting there waiting for us when we walked in. Some guys, you are waiting on them for 10 or 15 minutes after the reservation time. All of that kind of tells you a little bit about them.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

bastard - beat me to it by a minute

Think some of this is a bit much, that being said does show how serious and well a guy can handle his own scheduling and define what he shows.  You can schedule too much and it depends on player to control interview process.  They need to evaluate each team as each team evaluates them.

I think this is one big reason Geno Smith fell so many years ago. There were reports that he was screwing around on his phone during interviews with at least one team.

These kids forget that the whole process is essentially a job interview, and money is on the line for them.

30 minutes ago, eball said:

Did Harry run the 3-cone and short shuttle at the combine?  If so, what's the big deal?

He didn’t I believe...

What is he trying to hide?

Makes me think Metcalf was a bit of a fool for doing them at the combine.. certainly didn’t help him..

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Now I see what they saw in JMatt ?

Shady would have no problem setting up a party.

I suppose the problem would be is that he wouldn't have met with our Scouts, GM or HC seeing that none are female (they are over 21 so that have that going for them)

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Kelvin Fisher was with the Bills during Whaleys time

If I was N'Keal Harry, I would've told Kelvin Fisher "Thank you very much for your advice, and I respect your opinion, but I have to do what's right for me and for my family."

In other words, get bent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

I think this is one big reason Geno Smith fell so many years ago. There were reports that he was screwing around on his phone during interviews with at least one team.

These kids forget that the whole process is essentially a job interview, and money is on the line for them.

....sounds deadly accurate...Genome was Buddy's #1 guy........the gang flew down to interview him and work him out.....the consensus on the plane ride home was, "um...NO thanks"..........EJ was 2nd fiddle pick.....you know the rest..........

I love that Brandon Beane took a guy off the Bills' board because he was late to a few meetings. Love it.

If you can't even get your ***** together for the biggest job interview of your life, what are the odds that your head and heart will be in the game once the money has already flowed?

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I love that Brandon Beane took a guy off the Bills' board because he was late to a few meetings. Love it.

If you can't even get your ***** together for the biggest job interview of your life, what are the odds that your head and heart will be in the game once the money has already flowed?

..GREAT observation and thanks for passing it along bud...seems Ron White said something about "you can't fix stupid"......something about the "FIRST impression is the LASTING impression" also rings true.....

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..GREAT observation and thanks for passing it along bud...seems Ron White said something about "you can't fix stupid"......something about the "FIRST impression is the LASTING impression" also rings true.....

I always liked the Head & Shoulders quote "you never get a second chance to make a first impression".

• Like (+1) 1