Is the Le'Veon Bell signing over-hyped?

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

His running style is unique.  He hesitates and waits for holes...  if the line struggles to keep the gaps plugged while he is finding his hole it may be a problem. 

Was literally just coming in to post this exact thing.

I do not think he will live up to the contract for the Jets.  I think his most value will be as a receiver for Darnold, which is great but you don't need to pay a RB a gazillion dollars to do that.  He has already dealt with injuries, and missing this much time makes hamstring issues a real threat and those things linger all year.  I feel like Bell will miss a few games and is going to struggle to average higher than 4 ypc, at least this next year.  I mean even in his last season in Pitt he only averaged 4.0 ypc and that was on a talented team with a good OL.  

• Like (+1) 1

Bell is top tier NFL RB. The person this helps the most is Darnold. Having a guy like that in which defenses scheme against will open up the field more for their signal caller. If Bell is having a solid game it will make Darnold look even better off of play action. Is he going to be the same Bell as before? We will have to wait and see. He was the best 3 down back in the league for 3 or 4 straight seasons in Pittsburgh though. 

I honestly believe that with Gase running the show, were gonna be seeing a lot more drama with Bell. Gase ran off Ajayi in Miami, apparently mistakenly thinking Tannehill was the focal point of that offense. If he pulls that same trick on Bell, I'll be suspecting a lot of dissention in the ranks in that roster

7 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

For sure he's a really good and talented running back. That said I'd be concerned about his temperament. One of his major issues with the Steelers was his pay check, and moving to the Jets didn't get that addressed. When the season starts if he or the Jets are struggling then I'd bet he'll be back whining and complaining. 

He did indeed get it addressed. He got the long term deal with much guaranteed money.  That's what he wanted, he said he's happy with it.

1 hour ago, Success said:

No.  He’s awesome.

I’m more worried about the Jets this year than the Pats.

Same here. More worried about their defense than Bell to be honest, but Bell is a top 2 back in the league. I don't think it's over-hyped at all. If Darnold put it all together before Allen does, the Jets become really scary.

They'll have a better offense because of him.  He's a very good running back and Gase will find a way to get him heavily involved in the passing game.  I don't think it elevates them to a championship contender, but they're definitely a more formidable offense.  The price wasn't astronomical compared to what people were speculating (it didn't come close to Gurley's).

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Virtually nothing?

They traded for one of the best Guards in football and gave up next to nothing for him.

I wish Beane made that trade.... along with the one for Quinn.

You are right.  I was thinking about free agent signings and completely forgot about the trade for Osemele.

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

He did indeed get it addressed. He got the long term deal with much guaranteed money.  That's what he wanted, he said he's happy with it.

Oh a pro athlete saying that they are happy with their deal so all is well ?

Just because it was the best deal he could get doesn't mean that he's happy about it. Let's revisit this at the end of the season and see if he's happy.

9 hours ago, Nelius said:

Same here. More worried about their defense than Bell to be honest, but Bell is a top 2 back in the league. I don't think it's over-hyped at all. If Darnold put it all together before Allen does, the Jets become really scary.

I think they screwed the pooch hiring Gase. Thats one of those hires that just makes you wonder what they were thinking, or more accurately, who turned them down

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Virtually nothing?

They traded for one of the best Guards in football and gave up next to nothing for him.

I wish Beane made that trade.... along with the one for Quinn.

If one of the best Guards was PFF's #61 in 2018.  Not a good year.

Granted he was a two time pro bowler before that but would Oakland have traded him if they thought he was going to regain that form?  He is not a sure bet to be a high performer next year.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Was literally just coming in to post this exact thing.

I do not think he will live up to the contract for the Jets.  I think his most value will be as a receiver for Darnold, which is great but you don't need to pay a RB a gazillion dollars to do that.  He has already dealt with injuries, and missing this much time makes hamstring issues a real threat and those things linger all year.  I feel like Bell will miss a few games and is going to struggle to average higher than 4 ypc, at least this next year.  I mean even in his last season in Pitt he only averaged 4.0 ypc and that was on a talented team with a good OL.  

The thing is Darnold is no Ben. Alot of his passes we're late dumpoffs after Ben surveyed the field. Darnold is not there yet. Think teams will put a spy on him. Jets don't have the WRs to give Darnold that luxury.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Mods, please merge this thread if you feel it necessary.  

I was watching this video about which non-Paytoilets team will win the AFC East this year and the reasoning for the Jets chances are mainly because of Le'Veon Bell.  I agree that he posted some nice numbers in the past but he didn't play at all last season.  There's a big difference between being 'in shape' and being 'in game shape'.  Call me crazy but I don't think he'll be lighting it up for the Jets this season.  He'll put up decent numbers but I don't see any breakout year from him.  Having the threat of Big Ben throwing the ball to AB probably had more to do with his numbers then his actual running ability.  Your thoughts?

I wouldn't call it "over-hyped," as much as I'd call it asinine. 

You don't pay a RB that much money when you have that many holes.  And Bell will not be happy there.  The fact that he took less money than he would have made if he'd taken the Steelers' original offer is going to eat at him while he watches (hopefully) the Steelers playing games in January from his couch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Oh a pro athlete saying that they are happy with their deal so all is well ?

Just because it was the best deal he could get doesn't mean that he's happy about it. Let's revisit this at the end of the season and see if he's happy.

you're right. Saying he is happy with his deal means he isn't happy with his deal.