Will The Pegulas Decision On Phil Housley Foreshadow the Future Of Beane and McDermott?

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Is it just me or do hockey coaches around here always talk like they are still a funeral?

Monotone mumbling that is depressing to listen to. McDermott is the complete opposite.

Depends on the coach. Housley has very little emotion, but previous Sabres coaches like Nolan and Ruff were a lot more fiery. 

For the Bills you can go back to Jauron to hear a monotone mumbler...

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

I agree with this post pretty much until your last sentence.  I don't think that Pegula is particularly committed to winning in either the NFL or the NHL.  That he not only kept Russ Brandon but promoted him to be head of both the football and hockey organizations says that profit counts for more than winning.  Brandon was promoted despite heading up a football organization that went 82-110 with only 2 winning seasons out of 12, although the Bills were a very profitable business for the Wilson family during that time.  Furthermore, Brandon was fired because of issues unrelated to the performance of either the Bills or the Sabres.

It is my belief that because Ralph Wilson saw value in Russ Brandon and that the Pegula's in being new to the NFL they also saw value in his Management/marketing skills. Therefore, they made the move to take him away from the football side of the org in which he was deeply involved and gave him duties that would keep him fully occupied in his particular skill set. Brandon was managing partner in the Pegula sports empire and also president of the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Bandits and Rochester Americans.

Once it came to light that Brandon was being investigated for his workplace behavior/ personal misconduct he resigned rather than answer questions. The man was a true snake by taking advantage of his place of power and then lying about it. Kim Pegula took over as president. 

Winning or losing had nothing to do with keeping Brandon on as a front office executive. I for one am damn glad he is gone as I used to equate him to Matt Millen the ex-team president of the Detroit Lions.

While the Pegula's gave McD quite a bit of power when he was first hired I'm fairly certain he had a plan going forward that he shared to shape the team he wanted. Going 9-7 record and making the playoffs to an abysmal 6-10 and next to last in the division. That 2018 -105 point differential has to be alarming 269 PF, 374 PA. That number is up from the 2017 -57.

Now just imagine if the Patriots are the ones who offered a #2 pick to the Cardinals for Josh Rosen and Belicheat moves forward without Brady. They did manage an 11-5 season with Matt Cassell at QB in 2008. Think of it, Cassell was never a starting QB at USC in his four years there and he went 20 for 33 his entire USC career. 

This year in his third season as Buffalo Bills head coach, winning means everything! Like I said If McD can't beat the Patriots in six attempts he no longer deserves to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills!

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You've got me chuckling here. Talk about a moving target, man. 

"I’m trying to think of a coach in the last 30 years who lost more games than the previous season for two seasons in a row and still turned the franchise into a winner. I can’t." Isn't that what you said, just above? Asking for ONE example?

So I provide like twelve and out come the justifications and the mistakes. In Fontes's third year, he was 6-10. Ownership didn't fire him. He made Detroit relevant for pretty much the only time in the last 40 years. In Fassel's third year he was 7-9. Ownership didn't fire him.

In Garrett's second, third and fourth year he didn't have a winning record, getting eight wins each time. And yeah, Jason Garrett's Cowboys have been a success. In the last five years he's had a 12-win season, a 13-win season and a 10-win season, and they look like they're set up to be good for a while. So yes, he "turned the franchise into a winner," which is what you asked for. They're winners.

And again, I didn't look for every example. I went like halfway down the list of coaches and quit because I had a ton of examples.

I'm going to try this one more time and that's it. I'm looking for coaches who "who lost more games than the previous season for two seasons in a row". So they get worse for two straight years.

The coaches you listed:

Shottenheimer: 8-8 then 4-12 then 12-4 and the playoffs. That's one season of decline, not two. Fail.

Shanahan: 6-10 then 5-11 then 10-6. One season of decline. Fail. Not to mention that he didn't turn the franchise into a winner and left after the next season with a 3-13 record.

Vermeil: 5-11 then 4-12 then 13-3 and the Super Bowl. One season of decline. Fail.

Holmgren: 9-7 then 6-10 then 9-7. Fail.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea.

If McDermott produces a worse record this season than last then he will produce a two year decline which none of the coaches you have listed have done or overcome, and which I can't find a relevant example of anyone overcoming.

Edited by vincec