Robert Foster love from PFF only 1 of 2 WRs on both Avg Depth of Target and Avg Yards per Target

58 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He was more than a one trick pony.  Watch the tape.

Lol, ive seen it multiple times and respectfully please dont act like youve seen something i havent- as ill guess you have by your statment ive taken the time to watch each snap a couple times. Not that its a pissing contest bc i dont mean it to sound that way in the least - just that IF theres a difference in opinion it wont be anything other than we had different takeaways from the same source material.

Also, in my followup (to Doc) im not even arguing it as it was more of a general statment as he showed growth and the ability to do different things but lets be real, his talent and game as a reciver has yet to come to fruition. If he was doing everything consistently well people outside of BUF would actually know who he was or not look at you like you have 3 heads if your rebuttel is " well, ya but we have Foster". Like Allen, the kid was showing flashes and growing into his talents. Both could have a killer year, but have yet to totally establish themselves as anything but talented players w potential. The original statment was projecting him as a pro bowler next year. I just think based on what hes flashed thats a bit of reach next year. IMO Allen would be more likley BUT again, i dont predict the future:)

Edited by gobills1212

11 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

We will see - and thats part of the fun- theres no way to know. IMO just another aspect to a potentially reallt exciting year. Progress as a whole would be fun to watch and theyve finally been patient, have added the tools, and have taken steps where they could be a really good team on the rise. Personally, outside of a few pundits i dont think the Bills have been given a ton of credit. Other fans bases and some national as well still seem to think theyll be a doormat with a poor young qb. I think if all goes right this team could be a pleasant suprise. That said, Rex won himself an offseason too so we wont know until the bullets start flying how it shakes out. The Foster question is an excellent representation of the team as a whole imo. It could go really well, it could go bad, and it could be simply the next step to becoming a competitive football team. 

Given the way his final 7 games went, I can say with certainty that he'll be a starter.  There is no reason not to continue to try to develop him because he's the most talented receiver on the team.  I was critical of him early in the season but when he came back, he was a revelation.  And that's because he worked hard, staying during the bye week and late after practices, and he's been staying in Buffalo during the off-season.

As for getting credit, they need to earn it.  I like what they did, but if it doesn't lead to more wins, it was pointless.

7 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol, ive seen it multiple times and respectfully please dont act like youve seen something i havent- as ill guess you have by your statment ive taken the time to watch each snap a couple times. Not that its a pissing contest bc i dont mean it to sound that way in the least - just that IF theres a difference in opinion it wont be anything other than we saw something different in the same source material. Also, in my followup im not even arguing it as it was more of a general statment as he showed growth and the ability to do different things but lets be real, his talent and game as a reciver has yet to come to fruition. If he was doing everything consistently well people outside of BUF would actually know who he was or not look at you like you have 3 heads if your rebuttel is " well, ya but we have Foster". Like Allen, the kid was showing flashes and growing into his talents. Both could have a killer year, but have yet to totally establish themselves as anything but talented players w potential. The original statment was projecting him as a pro bowler next year. I just think based on what hes flashed thats a bit of reach next year. IMO Allen would be more likley BUT again, i dont predict the future:)

Robert Foster relied on tunnel vision and work ethic to deliver a breakout rookie season.

“He’s not just a go route guy,” said Daboll. “I was with him last year. He can run a variety of routes. Obviously running vertical is a strength of his because of his speed, but I think our staff did a good job with him in terms of top of route technique, releases, playing against tight press. Those are all things you have to work on as a young receiver coming into this league.”

“Against Jacksonville, he’s not only running go routes, but curls, deeper intermediate routes where Rob’s coming back to the ball and he’s catching it fluidly,” said Zay Jones. “Against Detroit he was running crossing routes. So weekly he was adding a whole other variation to his game. He’s not just running full speed down the field, but he was also using the width of the field to get open.

• Like (+1) 2

Foster is legit. I saw the hype as nothing more than a pipedream considering the guy didn't produce at Alabama, but the stats don't lie. I do need to see him do it over a longer period of time, but I feel very comfortable with him going forward. He improved his "route tree"(hate that vernacular) over the course of the season. His speed has never been in question. He's got to continue to improve his tracking skills. Nevertheless, I believe he's going to play a key role going forward. I've seen enough to believe in his ability to play a prominent role. He may not be a "number 1," but he's a keeper.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont disagree Doc, and i appreciate the links.

I was impressed when it read it when it was written and I cant help but feel like you are trying to defend a point that isnt being argued. Im not trashing on Foster. Maybe he starts from the get - and maybe he takes that and runs with it. Maybe production lacks and he slips. A guy can do everything right and sometimes it just doesnt translate. We are all just as impressed with Allen, and same thing- he has the work ethic qnd the whole 9... its not a guarentee he will be a star. The sophomore slump is a real thing.  Sometimes players experience it through no fault of their own. The end result is you cant change the way I feel. 

I feel better than I did about Zay after yr 1 (issues aside) but Foster is going to have to continue to do his thing and improve before the league takes him as a serious threat, and bringing this full circle, makes the pro bowl. 

3 hours ago, Success said:

I’m so excited about the wr corps this year.  We could stand pat and still go into the season looking pretty solid.

I think we are in the below average / average range right now. The off-season additions got us up to par. Still need some top end talent to get this receiving group where we want it to be.

But yes, you could go into the season feeling decent about the group, knowing that next off season it will be a priority to get a #1 WR.

40 minutes ago, CSBill said:

What was a liability last year--our receivers--is now a strength: Brown, Beasley, Jones, Foster

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Duke Williams is going to be the breakout WR for the Bills this year.  The guy can high point the ball like Megatron and seems to win every 50/50 that comes his way.  He is going to catch some touchdowns this year.

Don't sleep on the Duke, he is going to be a Red Zone monster.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Foster is legit. I saw the hype as nothing more than a pipedream considering the guy didn't produce at Alabama, but the stats don't lie. I do need to see him do it over a longer period of time, but I feel very comfortable with him going forward. He improved his "route tree"(hate that vernacular) over the course of the season. His speed has never been in question. He's got to continue to improve his tracking skills. Nevertheless, I believe he's going to play a key role going forward. I've seen enough to believe in his ability to play a prominent role. He may not be a "number 1," but he's a keeper.

I seem to be pegged as thinking otherwise,  but I agree with this. The kid showed flashes (stand out plays being long plays) and improvements as well as potential BUT a good half year isnt a huge revalation for any NFL player. He could kill it. He coukd not break through.  Im a positive spin Bills fan, but im also trying to not be a homer and anoint the kid a star before he has accomplished and posted a standout season as a whole on his resume. Im not at all calling anyone a homer with blind optimism but in reading boards for other teams theres nothing worse than fans who think every quality player is a star in the making. Within reason i try to avoid being a hypocrite 

Just now, gobills1212 said:

I seem to be pegged as thinking otherwise,  but I agree with this. The kid showed flashes (stand out plays being long plays) and improvements as well as potential BUT a good half year isnt a huge revalation for any NFL player. He could kill it. He coukd not break through.  Im a positive spin Bills fan, but im also trying to not be a homer and anoint the kid a star before he has accomplished and posted a standout season as a whole on his resume. Im not at all calling anyone a homer with blind optimism but in reading boards for other teams theres nothing worse than fans who think every quality player is a star in the making. Within reason i try to avoid being a hypocrite 

Gotcha and he's got to do it over a longer period of time before anyone can draw any definitive conclusions. And I'm the FURTHEST thing from a homer, so I'm in an unusual position here.?

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think Duke Williams is going to be the breakout WR for the Bills this year.  The guy can high point the ball like Megatron and seems to win every 50/50 that comes his way.  He is going to catch some touchdowns this year.

Don't sleep on the Duke

Another reason for optimism but its kinda crazy there isnt a gauge. As it sits now he could be their best redzone threat and he could also not even make the roster. The hope however is what makes it fun and interesting! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol, ive seen it multiple times and respectfully please dont act like youve seen something i havent- as ill guess you have by your statment ive taken the time to watch each snap a couple times. Not that its a pissing contest bc i dont mean it to sound that way in the least - just that IF theres a difference in opinion it wont be anything other than we had different takeaways from the same source material.

Also, in my followup (to Doc) im not even arguing it as it was more of a general statment as he showed growth and the ability to do different things but lets be real, his talent and game as a reciver has yet to come to fruition. If he was doing everything consistently well people outside of BUF would actually know who he was or not look at you like you have 3 heads if your rebuttel is " well, ya but we have Foster". Like Allen, the kid was showing flashes and growing into his talents. Both could have a killer year, but have yet to totally establish themselves as anything but talented players w potential. The original statment was projecting him as a pro bowler next year. I just think based on what hes flashed thats a bit of reach next year. IMO Allen would be more likley BUT again, i dont predict the future:)

What hes flashed is the ability to be one of the leading WR in the league.  I dont completely disagree with you but youre being a bit on the "I dont want a let down so I will down play it" side of things.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...BEST thing this youngster did was heed the McDermott warning......and good for him....brighter days ahead IMO......fast ones......

Sometimes when you’re young, all you need is a properly placed kick in the ass to get you pointed in the right direction.

A good leader can get the point across without alienating the player.  IMO, McDermott is good at that and his personal grind of being a wrestler helps him get out a ‘no bs’ message.  

He understands work, pain and results.

As a fellow old fart, I think you know this already.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, gobills1212 said:

I dont disagree Doc, and i appreciate the links.

I was impressed when it read it when it was written and I cant help but feel like you are trying to defend a point that isnt being argued. Im not trashing on Foster. Maybe he starts from the get - and maybe he takes that and runs with it. Maybe production lacks and he slips. A guy can do everything right and sometimes it just doesnt translate. We are all just as impressed with Allen, and same thing- he has the work ethic qnd the whole 9... its not a guarentee he will be a star. The sophomore slump is a real thing.  Sometimes players experience it through no fault of their own. The end result is you cant change the way I feel. 

I feel better than I did about Zay after yr 1 (issues aside) but Foster is going to have to continue to do his thing and improve before the league takes him as a serious threat, and bringing this full circle, makes the pro bowl. 

No, not trying to do anything other than say that I believe the coaches see a potential budding star in Foster and that the moves they made were not to replace him, but to help him by taking pressure off him.  I've said several times that with both Brown's and Foster's speed that teams won't be able to play their CB's and Ss up on the LOS and that the Ss will have to pick their poison on who to cover deep, and that opens things up for everyone.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He may be and I was debating mentioning him.  But until he actually plays a down in the NFL, he's not yet in the conversation.

Love seeing Foster's name near the top of the yards per target list. That's legit. I still feel like he's going to get stuck competing with Brown for a starting spot, and given we just guaranteed Brown a bunch of money he's likely going to get it. Speed is great, and both those guys have it in spades, but I can see McD opting to go with someone that has a little more size and toughness at the other WR2 spot. I think Zay will be the favorite and guys like Duke will push him. It'll add another dimension to have someone who can block for Beasley on WR screens or pick plays. Foster will get his share of snaps though. He had nice chemistry with Josh, and that counts for a lot.

Edited by VW82

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He improved his "route tree"(hate that vernacular) over the course of the season. 

Why the hate for a solid and appropriate football metaphor? 

The connotation for me goes immediately to the Peyton Manning prime years with the Colts. Manning's pregame routine with Harrison was regimented and becoming legendary; their rapid, robotic, rote execution of each of the nine routes during warm-ups represented something we in Buffalo had been missing for a number of years already, and would continue to miss for many more: high-end, precise passing execution. I remember that a reluctant/aloof Reggie Wayne didn't really emerge until he swallowed his pride and began to participate in the ritualistic preparation that goes into being consistently great. 

Anyone raised on Air Coryell offensive football, as my mom made sure I was, could appreciate that kind of nearly-impossible-to-defend passing precision.

Anyways, the route tree itself looks less like a tree and more like a dandelion puffy with seeds.

Major sidebar, batman. Apologies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

• Thank you (+1) 1

It was a rollercoaster for me in terms of my feelings about Foster.

When we picked him up, I thought he was very likely to make the roster because of his experience in Daboll's offense.

He really wasn't all that inspiring in the preseason, though, so I admit I was surprised he made the roster.

When the season started, he sucked. Not surprised he was cut at all.

But HOLY CRAP!!! When he came back he really looked like a pro bowler at WR.

I hope he and Josh have really worked on chemistry. I legitimately think Foster could be a pro bowler this year.

• Like (+1) 1

AT WORST, we can probably agree that the WR corps going into training camp this year appears to be light years ahead of what we had going into 2018.  I know there is some hand-wringing among certain fans that there is no "true #1" receiver on the team but they now have at least four guys (Brown, Beasley, Foster, Jones) with significant starting experience who are not on the downturns of their careers (Beasley's a bit older but not past his prime).  Even if they don't draft a WR (I hope they do, FYI) they're not in "trouble" at the position the way they were for much of 2018.  I still like McKenzie as well, and we don't yet know what we have with Duke but he's intriguing.

The biggest benefit I see moving forward, as others have noted, is that this is now Josh's 2nd year and the learning curve should have flattened out.  Now it's all about repetitions and building chemistry -- not "learning the NFL."  He'll have a chance to really develop something with these receivers so they hit the ground running in W1.

• Like (+1) 2