Nate Oats heading to Alabama

DBilz2500

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Someone also brought up hockey being a no-brainer for UB. Well are you forgetting both Canisius and Niagara are local D1 hockey programs? UB would have to build a new rink too. Not happening 

Actually lacrosse at UB would make more sense. A lot less expensive too.

I brought up both.  They have a rink right across the street(Northtown Center) that could be used.   Not sure what Canisius and Niagara have to do with UB starting up?  If anything, it would be a great rivalry.

That being said, I'm beating a dead horse.  I've written several UB AD's about this over the years.  Never going to happen.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Roy Williams makes less than that?? He’s underpaid. Even the Ohio state coach makes 3 mill and he came from Butler.

Last year I believe he was at 2.1 million, but he signed an extension recently that will get him to 5 million in incentives. He is apparently big on paying his assistants a good amount so he takes less. 

17 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

I hope he goes down there and we stomp Bama like we did Bobby Hurley this year.  Has Bama ever even had a basketball team worth mentioning?

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I hope he goes down there and we stomp Bama like we did Bobby Hurley this year.  Has Bama ever even had a basketball team worth mentioning?

Not really. the cavs 1st rd pick from last year played there, only relevancy I can think of 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not really. the cavs 1st rd pick from last year played there, only relevancy I can think of 

Ya that Sexton kid who I really like.  I get UB is small in name but Bama bball just seems like the little red headed step brother no one ever liked.  No offense to red heads

3 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Ya that Sexton kid who I really like.  I get UB is small in name but Bama bball just seems like the little red headed step brother no one ever liked.  No offense to red heads

I honestly don’t pay much attention to SEC b-ball. I’m just going off of national relevancy from that perspective and they aren’t a relevant b-ball program. I assume that’s what they are trying to get to, and the coaching change. SEC seems to be getting better though, based on the tourney teams this year. I don’t remember teams like Auburn and LSU being this good in the recent past. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I honestly don’t pay much attention to SEC b-ball. I’m just going off of national relevancy from that perspective and they aren’t a relevant b-ball program. I assume that’s what they are trying to get to, and the coaching change. SEC seems to be getting better though, based on the tourney teams this year. I don’t remember teams like Auburn and LSU being this good in the recent past. 

LSU usually always has talent but they hardly move the needle.  I dont follow basketball much either, pretty sure Sexton lead his team to beat Minn. or somebody playing 3V5 in a game.  Dont ask how that worked, im just as confused

17 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Topic does not belong in TSW

You just have to connect the dots. Alabama plays football. Daboll worked for Saban and Belichick. Belichick is the genius at the evil Patriot empire. All good now? See how easy that was?

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I brought up both.  They have a rink right across the street(Northtown Center) that could be used.   Not sure what Canisius and Niagara have to do with UB starting up?  If anything, it would be a great rivalry.

That being said, I'm beating a dead horse.  I've written several UB AD's about this over the years.  Never going to happen.

The Hockey or the moving to a better conference.

4 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

This sucks. Happened in football once we got good and now basketball. It's great to enjoy seasons of success, but for once I'd love a prolonged dynasty like the Stinking Pats.

We are with McDermott, its happening

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

They may be a middling SEC team right now, but with good coaching from Nate they'd probably win 80% of the time against MAC teams like U.B.    'Bama just had a lottery pick (Colin Sexton, 8th overall by Cleveland) and have a bunch of 4-and 5-star recruits so they have had quality rosters.     

As to the Tide's basketball chops, while they've been overshadowed by the football program, they've had some success too (briefly #1 in the country in 2003, eight sweet 16 appearances and 16 NIT trips, reaching the championship game on two occasions). 

BTW, Hurley's team a year from now--when his young players (12 freshmen and sophomores vs. just 5 upperclassmen) have more experience--will be a lot more formidable than the group that lost to U.B...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They may be a middling SEC team right now, but with good coaching from Nate they'd probably win 80% of the time against MAC teams like U.B.    'Bama just had a lottery pick (Colin Sexton, 8th overall by Cleveland) and have a bunch of 4-and 5-star recruits so they have had quality rosters.     

As to the Tide's basketball chops, while they've been overshadowed by the football program, they've had some success too (briefly #1 in the country in 2003, eight sweet 16 appearances and 16 NIT trips, reaching the championship game on two occasions). 

BTW, Hurley's team a year from now--when his young players (12 freshmen and sophomores vs. just 5 upperclassmen) have more experience--will be a lot more formidable than the group that lost to U.B...

Look you can use all the facts you want.  I refuse to acknowledge Notes moved on to greener pastures, and my ignorance of CBB makes me undefeated. UB cutting the nets down next year while Bama and Zona have major recruiting scandals.*

1 hour ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Look you can use all the facts you want.  I refuse to acknowledge Notes moved on to greener pastures, and my ignorance of CBB makes me undefeated. UB cutting the nets down next year while Bama and Zona have major recruiting scandals.*

Burying your head in the sand: Psychologists say the 'ostrich problem' - ignoring information that can help us - arises because of the need to avoid negative feelings

• Like (+1) 1