Nate Oats heading to Alabama

DBilz2500

1 hour ago, suorangefan4 said:

Just because it's in the SEC doesn't make it a better job than UB. Gonzaga is in the WCC and a top ranked school every year. That job is better than Alabama. If Buffalo could give the same money I'd easily stay there. Not to mention Buffalo is a much nicer city than Tuscaloosa.

No but 3X salary does

Hard to criticize him.  That’s life changing money.  Not sure why UB didn’t insist on a higher buyout though in the contract extension.  They took a pretty big chance on him when they gave him the job to replace Hurley.  Alabama job had to be in the works for a couple weeks.  Alabama athletic department is swimming in money.  They would’ve paid a lot more than $750k to buy Oats out.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to criticize him.  That’s life changing money.  Not sure why UB didn’t insist on a higher buyout though in the contract extension.  They took a pretty big chance on him when they gave him the job to replace Hurley.  Alabama job had to be in the works for a couple weeks.  Alabama athletic department is swimming in money.  They would’ve paid a lot more than $750k to buy Oats out.  

Not hard to criticize him when he signed a new extension, spent weeks saying he wasn’t going to make a move like this, and even got high school kids to commit to UB under his vision.  

Then when he does take the job, Nate is no where to be found and won’t answer questions from the Buffalo media.  

Seems like this could’ve been handeled better.  Fans deserve more of any explanation than the weak ass PR statement he put out.  

I agree UB should’ve had a bigger buyout in the extension 

25 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

I hope he likes taking a lot of vacations because Tuscaloosa is pretty boring. It's funny how people dump on Buffalo a lot (which is honestly a great city) yet google Tuscaloosa. There's nothing there. Buffalo is a million times better.

And wait until his kids start drawling and rednecking.  But hey, the house is bigger.

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Until UB decides to play with the big boys (leave the MAC) and head into the Big East expect more of the same. Here is some inside trader info- faculty fights tooth and nail to maintain a watered down athletic  program. They want more money for more line numbers in their department and higher pay for faculty that is well above the private sector along with an amazing benefits package. Also, they feel threatened research money would be decreased as well. 

Lastly, it is sad that a big school like UB, in a hockey recruiting mecca only has club hockey- and they have to play at the Northtowns Center. A school that large should have D-1 hockey with their own rink. Just another pahetic part of Buffalo Sports.

They could of offered Oates 2 mil per year and he would of left- his contract was leverage for a better deal in a big school- Alabama in the SEC or UB in the MAC? It is a no brainer. 

There is just no money in D1 hockey... no bother competing with Canisius and NU.

They are spending millions on football and basketball and it is showing finally...

its not easy as saying , hey we are going To the big east... the big east doesn’t play football and UB isn’t going for 1 sport

they need sustained success... not a short run

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Truly a sad development.  Once again, no matter what you hear about "stability" and "family concerns," it's all about money. 

He apparently turned down UNLV who was offering 1.6M - double the UB money.

Money is obviously a factor but most likely so is ambition. College basketball is rigged in such a way that if you want to go to Sweet 16s and Finals 4s with consistency you need to be in a P5 school or be Gonzaga.

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Truly a sad development.  Once again, no matter what you hear about "stability" and "family concerns," it's all about money. 

Holy hell, it's Alabama he's going to.  One of if not THE most recognized sports universities and Oats was given an opportunity to build their basketball program.  That's a once in a lifetime opportunity and he should turn it down?  

There's some really self-centered people here.  I get he could have handled his departure better but come on!  Be proud he got picked by a premier institution.  Hopefully UB becomes a premier destination for up and coming coaches and it keeps their program strong.

8 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I hate to see him go.  He did a great job with the program.  This is almost always what happens when a mid-major coach has a run of success.  It's inevitable.  I was holding out hope that Oats would like the city and school enough to stick around and try to build a mid-major powerhouse like Gonzaga (or Cincinnati or even Butler).  I think he even mentioned that at the time he signed his extension.

A cautionary tale for Oats is Don Monson.  He had great success at Gonzaga, but decided to move to the Big 10 and took the Minnesota job.  Since then, he has never had the kind of success he had at Gonzaga.  He's gone from Minnesota and now at another mid-major in Long Beach State and not even sniffing the NCAA Tournament.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Monson 

Meanwhile, after Monson left, Gonzaga continued its run of success, which continues today.  Mark Few, their current coach, had decided to stay there and enjoy the success, rather than jump to a Power-5 conference job and it has worked out well.  Who knows - possibly Bobby Hurley will have a Don Monson-like career since he left UB for the Pac-12 and Arizona State.

Hurley led ASU to the NCAA Tourney as UB’s first round opponent.

Turner Gill left UB, went to Kansas and failed, had some success at Liberty, an FCS school until 2018 but then retired to be with his sick wife.

I live in Arizona and realize that Hurley has led ASU to the NCAA Tourney a couple of times.  That said, he was an 11 seed both times and didn't get past the round of 64, which UB has done both of the years that Hurley got ASU to the Tournament.  ASU might reach greater heights under Hurley, or this may be as good as it gets.  Herb Sendek, who preceded Hurley, also had a few good years before it went downhill.  I stand by my original point that sometimes leaving a mid-major program for a major conference job works out and sometimes it doesn't.  The one thing that worked out for both Hurley and Oats was that they got a lot more money than they were at UB.  Sometimes a coach, the players and a program just fit and work, and coaches lose that chemistry when they move on.  I hope that the brand recognition and success had at UB under Hurley and Oats helps land another good coach who can keep the trajectory going.  We'll see.  And Go Bills, since this is a Bills forum....

image.thumb.png.c38d498f1dce0a67a08fde3a2aa70a2d.png

Edited by msw2112

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I live in Arizona and realize that Hurley has led ASU to the NCAA Tourney a couple of times.  That said, he was an 11 seed both times and didn't get past the round of 64, which UB has done both of the years that Hurley got ASU to the Tournament.  ASU might reach greater heights under Hurley, or this may be as good as it gets.  Herb Sendek, who preceded Hurley, also had a few good years before it went downhill.  I stand by my original point that sometimes leaving a mid-major program for a major conference job works out and sometimes it doesn't.  The one thing that worked out for both Hurley and Oats was that they got a lot more money than they were at UB.  Sometimes a coach, the players and a program just fit and work, and coaches lose that chemistry when they move on.  I hope that the brand recognition and success had at UB under Hurley and Oats helps land another good coach who can keep the trajectory going.  We'll see.  And Go Bills, since this is a Bills forum....

image.thumb.png.c38d498f1dce0a67a08fde3a2aa70a2d.png

If $ was close they wouldn't leave.

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Does he have a top assistant that can take over, like he did for Hurley?

Bryan Hodgson is rumored to be a top candidate to replace Oats, but is also rumored to have an assistants offer at Bama. Hodgson is our main recruiter. What sucks is some of our good recruits may de-committ to follow Oats. Oats already made an offer to Raymond Hawkins, who was a huge possible get door UB 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Until they get out of the MAC this will continue to happen.

Very true. The AAC is the next logical step, especially since our AD Mark Alnutt came from Memphis, an AAC school.

Someone earlier in this thread said UB should "choose" to go to a higher conference. If it only worked that way 

UB would have to get invited, and that will only happen if/when there is another reshuffling of conferences. There is talk of Houston or UCF, or both, moving to the Big 12. That would create an opening for UB in the AAC.

Someone also brought up hockey being a no-brainer for UB. Well are you forgetting both Canisius and Niagara are local D1 hockey programs? UB would have to build a new rink too. Not happening 

Actually lacrosse at UB would make more sense. A lot less expensive too.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1