UB Nate Oats leaving to go to Alabama

Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Nate's a great recruiter, so who knows.    Trendon Watford has an offer from Duke but seems to be leaning toward 'Bama after meeting with Nate.

Alabama is still a P5 school and has landed 5* recruits recently 

also Hodgson was the main recruiter at UB... Head coaches are so busy they can only make a couple visits a year... every school needs an assistant that is a top flight recruiter 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Alabama is still a P5 school and has landed 5* recruits recently 

also Hodgson was the main recruiter at UB... Head coaches are so busy they can only make a couple visits a year... every school needs an assistant that is a top flight recruiter 

Yes, but right now--when he's trying to establish a program--the HC has to be the head recruiter.     Oats is very good at it.   

Once the program is up and running, he can delegate to Hodgson, who's specialty is at the junior college level.    

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes, but right now--when he's trying to establish a program--the HC has to be the head recruiter.     Oats is very good at it.   

Once the program is up and running, he can delegate to Hodgson, who's specialty is at the junior college level.    

Of course Oats is making all the stops rn it’s the off-season and he is trying to sell Alabama 

UB will be fine as long as they are doing my due diligence 

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think Ray Hawkins was ever coming to UB

woulda been tough to pull him from AZ state and Bama and Arkansas 

Hawkins was pretty much a lock for UB if Oats stayed.

Almost everything on his twitter was indicating he favored UB. The experts on 247sports were predicting him to go to UB too.

16 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

Hawkins was pretty much a lock for UB if Oats stayed.

Almost everything on his twitter was indicating he favored UB. The experts on 247sports were predicting him to go to UB too.

We will never know

Oats was never staying so it didn’t seem like it was happening

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well the clock has struck midnight and UB basketball have reverted back to pumpkin status. The entire recruiting class has de-committed.

How many were in the class?  

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I want Bill Murray's kid.

Scratch Lanier off the list.

Thank God!  It means that I don't have to root for UB this year.  Or at least be conflicted. 

On 3/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, 707BillsFan said:

Why even bother signing the extension if you plan on leaving w/ the first dog that comes sniffing your backside? Yes, it's a guarantee w/ money in your pocket, just in case that dog doesn't come sniffing. Mid-Major, state run school w/o deep pocketed boosters (compared to the likes of Alabama and ASU) can't compete. Then again, what's wrong w/ being a Mark Few type coach, happy to be a mid-major powerhouse your whole career w/o getting that high end salary attached. Maybe I'm just old school and prefer to honor my obligations. 

You get a call for a big raise, you would talk to them. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

A bad look for AD Alnutt. Rumblings that he couldn't land a top tier candidate. Settled for Whitesall, who will work cheap. If this is how it was going to go, they could have made him the hire last week. Might have saved a recruit or two. Just a bad look all around.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A bad look for AD Alnutt. Rumblings that he couldn't land a top tier candidate. Settled for Whitesall, who will work cheap. If this is how it was going to go, they could have made him the hire last week. Might have saved a recruit or two. Just a bad look all around.

Idk. I’ve heard he was always the one with the job to lose... they probably took a week for due diligence... and look at the people bashing the program for the hire...(even you)

if they made it a week ago it would’ve been 1 more week of bi******

Everybody around college basketball loved the move. 

He was hardly a “cheap” option.. he got hired at more than what Oats did 4 years ago

He was a no name option. But so was Nate oats 

Whatever the result of this hire, at least we got a taste of the big time. UB was that summer romance, the thing that was a welcome distraction while the Sabres stunk things up. Better to have loved and lost, right?

We're on to OTAs.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Whatever the result of this hire, at least we got a taste of the big time. UB was that summer romance, the thing that was a welcome distraction while the Sabres stunk things up. Better to have loved and lost, right?

We're on to OTAs.

Of course

and they still have 2 big time recruits from last year in Jeenathan Williams and Ronaldo Segu

Williams should be the best player in the MAC sooner than later