UB Nate Oats leaving to go to Alabama

Reed83HOF

34 minutes ago, noacls said:

Wrong I watched them quite a bit.. I was talking  more about football. However there is no way UB basketball is competing with top tier AAC basketball squads. Everytime they face length and athleticism it does not turn out well. 

I agree football was a bit of a paper tiger. But basketball was legit. Of course power conference teans won't risk playing good mid-majors. So it's hard to argue. But Buffalo got road wins at WVU and Syracuse and neutral site wins against San Francisco and Arizona State. That's a good resume.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, 707BillsFan said:

Believe what you want Skippy. Coaches haven't been fired yet. He could have held out for something better than....Alabama. What's the old adage...Location, Location, Location. Alabama doesn't even have one of those locations. Plus you''ll never get noticed because he'll always be overshadowed by the football program. Bad move on his part. 

Be willing to bet you've never been here....

On 3/28/2019 at 9:49 AM, LabattBlue said:

There is one downside to choosing Alabama against most other power 5 conference schools.  The students, fans, and most especially, the powerful alumni, are used to the football program being the best(or at the very least being in the playoffs)...every single year.  Tough to compete with that.  Making the tourney, and getting bounced in the first two rounds, or even the sweet 16, isn't going to cut it.

It's actually just the opposite. Most folks down here don't even REALLY start paying attention to basketball until February. It's the filler between the end of CFB and the start of spring football. If Avery Johnson had consistently made the tourney, and certainly the sweet 16, he would still be the coach here. 

I see people talking about Bama not being a basketball school, and while that's true, it hasn't always been this bad. From 1981 to 1992, Bama head coach Wimp Sanderson took them to 10 NCAA tourneys and got to the sweet 16 SIX times. Those Alabama teams sent 11 players to the NBA, including Latrell Sprewell, Robert Horry, and Derrick McKey.

If Oats has that level of success, we'll probably name the court after him...

*Auburn making it to the Final Four today may have raised the stakes a bit*

2 hours ago, noacls said:

Anyone got  rumors on next UB coach?

Well definitely not UB assistant Brian Hodgson. 

It's been a pretty tight-lipped search so far. Just some rumors etc. Follow this thread for the latest: http://ubfan.com/bb/index.php?/topic/465-the-search-for-a-new-head-coach/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We've become a great resting spot for upcoming two and done coaches.  Sad but true.

To be accurate Oats put in 4 years, 6 is you count two years as an assistant. But point taken.,

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Luke Murray, former Xavier and current Louisville assistant, draws funny man father Bill Murray on a regular basis. That was pretty cool. Unlike Tom Brady’s dad, he can probably survive a Buffalo hotel room.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

He's been busy locking down his 'Bama players, especially Kira Lewis Jr. , recruit Trendon Watford, and poaching Ray Hawkins from U.B. :pirate:.    Looks like that process is done now...

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/ncaa-sec/nate-oats-bama-recruiting/

Some folks on UBfan who know players and others close to the team say that Oats is reacting to the negative takes. This smacks of damage control. Note how he gets real specific about the date and time he "spoke to the players." Reports are most of the team have yet to hear from Oats.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

He's been busy locking down his 'Bama players, especially Kira Lewis Jr. , recruit Trendon Watford, and poaching Ray Hawkins from U.B. :pirate:.    Looks like that process is done now...

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/ncaa-sec/nate-oats-bama-recruiting/

I don’t think Ray Hawkins was ever coming to UB

woulda been tough to pull him from AZ state and Bama and Arkansas 

Edited by Buffalo716

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don’t think Ray Hawkins was ever coming to UB

woulda been tough to ***** him from AZ state and Bama and Arkansas 

But he did say that we wanted to play for Nate and Brian. Maybe he's just saying that now that they're at Alabama. As far as I knew, Alabama was not one of his choices before Oats landed there.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But he did say that we wanted to play for Nate and Brian. Maybe he's just saying that now that they're at Alabama. 

Well I’m sure he would like to play for them. But he would have preferred it to be at a bigger school than UB

it is tough to commit to a small conference school like UB when high majors are chasing you

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I’m sure he would like to play for them. But he would have preferred it to be at a bigger school than UB

it is tough to commit to a small conference school like UB when high majors are chasing you

Nate's a great recruiter, so who knows.    Trendon Watford has an offer from Duke but seems to be leaning toward 'Bama after meeting with Nate.