UB Nate Oats leaving to go to Alabama

Reed83HOF

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Whether or not he will succeed is up in the air ...

but he has the ability to consistently grab big time recruits at Alabama. Something that is hard to do at UB

He'll also be going up against other SEC teams and powerhouses. Alabama has never been known as a basketball school, usually in the second tier of the SEC, so it's not a huge draw for recruits (better than Buffalo, yes). There was talk about Oats building a Gonzaga style program in Buffalo. Gonzaga isn't a well known school, with the exception of basketball. Spokane isn't a huge draw for any kid. How does Mark Few do it? Consistency. He always wins and he's not leaving. Is that the draw? I don't think I can remember any GU player in the NBA that succeeded...except maybe Sabonis. 

Just now, 707BillsFan said:

He'll also be going up against other SEC teams and powerhouses. Alabama has never been known as a basketball school, usually in the second tier of the SEC, so it's not a huge draw for recruits (better than Buffalo, yes). There was talk about Oats building a Gonzaga style program in Buffalo. Gonzaga isn't a well known school, with the exception of basketball. Spokane isn't a huge draw for any kid. How does Mark Few do it? Consistency. He always wins and he's not leaving. Is that the draw? I don't think I can remember any GU player in the NBA that succeeded...except maybe Sabonis. 

Everybody would want Oats to stay and build that Gonzaga type program but everybody around the school knew it wouldn’t happen.. he has always quietly been looking for a bigger job

yes , you are right Alabama is not a basketball school. But in the last 5 years it has been recruiting very very well. They have recruited scores of top 100 recruits, including a top 10 5* recruit... UB can’t come close to that

yes, he has to compete in the SEC , where they all have 4* recruits , so it’s a gamble

Gonzaga can recruit top 4* recruits because they have been consistently good for 15-20 years. That is a program that is built 

UB is building 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 707BillsFan said:

Believe what you want Skippy. Coaches haven't been fired yet. He could have held out for something better than....Alabama. What's the old adage...Location, Location, Location. Alabama doesn't even have one of those locations. Plus you''ll never get noticed because he'll always be overshadowed by the football program. Bad move on his part. 

'Bama was a pre-season top-30 team that underperformed this year (hence the job opening).    Coaching a young group (including 5-star recruit Kira Lewis) in a power-5 conference, I think he'll be OK.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/31/college-hoops-rankings-every-team-kansas-duke-kentucky

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

So that’s 3x , plus the shoe deal, plus all the ancillary income , no doubt it’s 5X, plus the resources of a power 5 school. It’s a no brainer for him, strike while the iron is hot

I became an Alabama bball fan today.  Nothing but respect for Oats.

1 hour ago, 707BillsFan said:

Believe what you want Skippy. Coaches haven't been fired yet. He could have held out for something better than....Alabama. What's the old adage...Location, Location, Location. Alabama doesn't even have one of those locations. Plus you''ll never get noticed because he'll always be overshadowed by the football program. Bad move on his part. 

I follow the NBA pretty closely.  Avery Johnson was a bad NBA coach who was a bad NCAA coach.  It wouldn't surprise me if Oats has that team in the tourney next season.  The big difference now is he'll have the horses to make a run.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody would want Oats to stay and build that Gonzaga type program but everybody around the school knew it wouldn’t happen.. he has always quietly been looking for a bigger job

yes , you are right Alabama is not a basketball school. But in the last 5 years it has been recruiting very very well. They have recruited scores of top 100 recruits, including a top 10 5* recruit... UB can’t come close to that

yes, he has to compete in the SEC , where they all have 4* recruits , so it’s a gamble

Gonzaga can recruit top 4* recruits because they have been consistently good for 15-20 years. That is a program that is built 

UB is building 

Who was that Gonzaga coach who took them to the Elite Eight or so that first time?  He left and then Mark Few took over.  Everybody knows Mark Few but I don't even remember the first guy's name.

We need more Mark Fews! 

10 minutes ago, bbb said:

Who was that Gonzaga coach who took them to the Elite Eight or so that first time?  He left and then Mark Few took over.  Everybody knows Mark Few but I don't even remember the first guy's name.

We need more Mark Fews! 

That would be Dan Monson

head Coach Of Long Beach State now

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That would be Dan Monson

head Coach Of Long Beach State now

I wouldn't have come up with that name if I was given 100 years to do so.  But, Mark Few is a legend now.

I didn't even know Long Beach State still played basketball.  I am old enough to remember them being good with Tark as their coach before he went to UNLV.  

7 minutes ago, bbb said:

I wouldn't have come up with that name if I was given 100 years to do so.  But, Mark Few is a legend now.

I didn't even know Long Beach State still played basketball.  I am old enough to remember them being good with Tark as their coach before he went to UNLV.  

Lol and that shows you how 1 decision can change your life

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, eball said:

UB needs somebody who wants to create a Gonzaga.  At least Hurley and Oats have made the program marketable.  We'll see what happens.

Unless UB is ready to move up to the Big East, the coaches they have had(Reggie, Hurley and Oats) have taken them as far as they are going to go.  They will have some good MAC seasons, and some mediocre ones, but that is what they will be as long as they are in the MAC.  

21 minutes ago, eball said:

UB needs somebody who wants to create a Gonzaga. 

I wonder if an older guy like Joe Mihalich could be enticed to leave Hofstra?   He seems like someone that would fit that profile and have instant fan support in WNY...

https://1495sports.com/2019/03/15/hofstra-basketball-head-coach-mihalich-named-finalist-for-skip-prosser-award/

2 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

You’re letting emotion cloud logic.  As someone said above, that’s life in a mid-major, it happens ever year. 

The reason these guys have to jump is because there’s no assurance they’ll get another shot.  What if he stays and UB regresses the next two years?  No power conferences will be calling then.

• Like (+1) 1

Now the women's coach is getting poached. But Tennessee would be hard to refuse.

And PSU...

48 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

You’re letting emotion cloud logic.  As someone said above, that’s life in a mid-major, it happens ever year. 

The reason these guys have to jump is because there’s no assurance they’ll get another shot.  What if he stays and UB regresses the next two years?  No power conferences will be calling then.

That's the food chain, alright. The best way to look at things is Hurley and Oats put UB in the map. Now you can go out and get a hot low-major head coach or elevate a P5 assistant and they would see UB as a good move.  As hard as it sucks you want your people to move in, move up and more on. It's the best you can do when you are a MAC school

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I get it. Their whole starting roster was senior laden. Not sure they had much back up beyond those guys, so it was probably a certainty there would be a downturn. It's just one of those situations where...Why can't we have / keep nice things?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

'Bama was a pre-season top-30 team that underperformed this year (hence the job opening).    Coaching a young group (including 5-star recruit Kira Lewis) in a power-5 conference, I think he'll be OK.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/31/college-hoops-rankings-every-team-kansas-duke-kentucky

Pre-season polls mean nothing. My UCLA Bruins were ranked 21 in a few polls, they're still wiping their bottoms after messing themselves all season. Alabama has the 5th best recruiting class behind KY, GA, FL, Auburn. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=SEC - Can any recruits back out if they were Avery guys? I wish Oats the best, but I do think it'll be a tough ride for him. I'm sure he wanted the challenge as well. 

16 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I get it. Their whole starting roster was senior laden. Not sure they had much back up beyond those guys, so it was probably a certainty there would be a downturn. It's just one of those situations where...Why can't we have / keep nice things?

Same thing happened to URI last year with Dan Hurley.   He finally put it all together with an experienced team, won the A-10 regular season and lost a tough 2d round game in the NCAA.  UCONN came calling and he didn't think twice.