UB Nate Oats leaving to go to Alabama

Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There is a difference between MAC good and Big 12/SEC good.  UB had no interior game to speak of, were generally small, and extremely reliant on making shots from the outside. Texas Tech is one of the best defensive teams in the country. They shut lots of people down and if you are 1 dimensional it's easier.

Recruiting to Alabama for basketball isn't easy. Lots of competition and they don't really have a strong tradition. Avery Johnson came from the NBA and couldn't get it done recruiting wise. He also doesn't have Bobby Hurley's name recognition when he's sitting in someone's living room. A rotating group of JUCO mercenaries isn't going to get it done in the SEC. You need your share of one and dones or you are toast. Welcome to the big leagues Nate. If you can't recruit from Day 1 you'll be back at a mid major in 3 years.

Alabama has been recruiting phenomenally in basketball the last 5 years.

tons of high major 4* recruits and a top 7 player in Collin Sexton. UB can’t land those caliber players regularly 

I wish UB could find a coach who would be at the point in his career to be content as a Big Dog in the MAC.  I expected Hurley to jump as soon as the opportunity arose, but I didn’t expect it from Oats.  I wonder if the UB AD was blindsided by the news. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Alabama has been recruiting phenomenally in basketball the last 5 years.

tons of high major 4* recruits and a top 7 player in Collin Sexton. UB can’t land those caliber players regularly 

Whetzel interviews him in Cleveland the morning after he signed the new contract..

I did NOT feel comfortable after the interview...he knew then he wouldn't be back but he played a Hollywood role.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I wish UB could find a coach who would be at the point in his career to be content as a Big Dog in the MAC.  I expected Hurley to jump as soon as the opportunity arose, but I didn’t expect it from Oats.  I wonder if the UB AD was blindsided by the news. 

0 chance. It’s hard to say because I’m a homer but UB will always be the stepping stone for good coaches 

MAC basketball just doesn’t have much prestige. It’s a lower tier D1 conference 

They need to keep the pipeline of coaches full

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Whetzel interviews him in Cleveland the morning after he signed the new contract..

I did NOT feel comfortable after the interview...he knew then he wouldn't be back but he played a Hollywood role.

I knew he would be gone . He is a hot commodity and is losing a bunch of seniors 

He has no allegiance to UB, never did. But he did help build the profile 

Why even bother signing the extension if you plan on leaving w/ the first dog that comes sniffing your backside? Yes, it's a guarantee w/ money in your pocket, just in case that dog doesn't come sniffing. Mid-Major, state run school w/o deep pocketed boosters (compared to the likes of Alabama and ASU) can't compete. Then again, what's wrong w/ being a Mark Few type coach, happy to be a mid-major powerhouse your whole career w/o getting that high end salary attached. Maybe I'm just old school and prefer to honor my obligations. 

• Like (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Unreal.. What a POS.

I lost all respect for him.

Yep, cause if someone offered you 5x your salary you would stay out to be loyal too!

dont blame the person, blame the system. 

Sucks being ing a mid major, but this is life. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Whatever. If he couldn’t get it done with this roster he was never going to. Texas Tech absolutely embarrassed him. UB was woefully underprepared. Does Alabama even have a decent Basketball program? I don’t rememer hearing about them making any noise in the past few years. 

The Big 12 (1st rank BPI) should--and did--mop the floor with MAC teams (15th rank BPI), including U.B.     'Bama is in the SEC (5th rank BPI) and had a 18-16 record in 2018, so he's moving on up big time here...

1 hour ago, 707BillsFan said:

Why even bother signing the extension if you plan on leaving w/ the first dog that comes sniffing your backside? 

U.B. did the extension to get a bigger buyout.    They knew he was gone and made a smart move to grab some $$$ on the way out the door...

Again, who here would turn down a 3X raise ($2.4 million vs. $837,000)?   

Crickets chirping....

Edited by Lurker

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

U.B. did the extension to get a bigger buyout.    They knew he was gone and made a smart move to grab some $$$ on the way out the door...

Again, who here would turn down a 3X raise ($2.4 million vs. $837,000)?   

Crickets chirping....

I'd need at least $3 million if I had to live in Alabama, no thanks. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sure you would sparky...

Believe what you want Skippy. Coaches haven't been fired yet. He could have held out for something better than....Alabama. What's the old adage...Location, Location, Location. Alabama doesn't even have one of those locations. Plus you''ll never get noticed because he'll always be overshadowed by the football program. Bad move on his part. 

10 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Believe what you want Skippy. Coaches haven't been fired yet. He could have held out for something better than....Alabama. What's the old adage...Location, Location, Location. Alabama doesn't even have one of those locations. Plus you''ll never get noticed because he'll always be overshadowed by the football program. Bad move on his part. 

Whether or not he will succeed is up in the air ...

but he has the ability to consistently grab big time recruits at Alabama. Something that is hard to do at UB

• Like (+1) 1

I don't blame him........But, the optics are so bad when you signed an extension 2 weeks ago.

How many times are the media going to be fooled by that and say Well, Nate Oats is staying!  

• Like (+1) 1