What is our biggest need now?

Ramza86

13 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

It is shocking to me how few people understand our dire need for a great running back or two.

With that kind of thinking, do our eyes deceive us?  Was our running game NOT one of the most profound weaknesses on this team last year,  a main reason the Bills were not better, with the only good running done by Allen?

Don't say it will all fixed with a better offensive line as we cannot rely on that--McCoy, a very good, sometimes great player as a Bill almost never looked good--and that is not an exaggeration. He looked done.  I hope that is not the case, both for his sake and the Bills, but we can only go by what we saw--and what we saw was no longer a starting caliber NFL running back, and, if we believe what we saw, not even a backup caliber running back.

The Bills best get a running back or two--and early in the draft--or this will very likely be a major reason the Bills don't succeed this year.  Almost no team can do well, especially one led by a young quarterback. without a solid running game.  It makes the passing game better, the defense better, and is even more important with our climate.

Good running backs are not, no matter the silly common knowledge now, a dime a dozen.  See: the 2018 Buffalo Bills .  The Bills can not this clear and present, even dire need, go unadressed.

Honestly...with how bad the run blocking was last year...I dont think any RB in todays NFL would have done any good. 

I havent missed a game since 2001. Last year was the most visibly poor run blocking line ive seen in 18 years. 

Do I think Shady will be Shady of 3 years ago? Nope...but its not worth upgrading him by overpaying a guy like Bell. Teams use RBs in groups. We can have a decent group.

With an upgraded line...our QB wont be leading the team in rushing. 

Edited by Ramza86
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have to say WR and Oline are still the biggest needs. We've gone from deplorable to below average, which is a big step up of course, but we need to get better at both still.

That said, I think a penetrating DT is a big need and also an edge rusher who can get consistent pressure. Getting either of those will take the focus off of Hughes and we'll see his sack numbers increase. He's not the kind of guy who can do it all himself. He needs someone competent across from him.

22 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Biggest Needs: 

Tight End

3-Tech Defensive Tackle

Medium Needs:

Defensive End

Offensive Guard or Tackle

Depth/Looking to Future Needs:

Running Back

Strongside Linebacker

Wide Receiver

This. Nailed it.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

If we draft Jawaan Taylor with 1st pick, I predict we trade back for Jaylon Ferguson.

If we draft Oliver/Gary/Wilkins with our 1st pick, I predict we trade up for Chris Lindstrom.

Our 1st 2 picks will be offensive and defensive line I am guessing.  TE and RB are next up

I feel like we have enough OG prospects now......but it would not shock me to see us push strong for Risner (RT) after we took Oliver or Wilkins.

A front line defender with 3rd down impact.  Is that Oliver or Sweat/Burns/Gary/etc.?   That is the primary reason that takeaway and redzone numbers were not a better and are what was truly lacking from the 2018 defense.  As for the rest:

TE=OT>WR>RB>DT>LB>CB

I base this on his is based on the roster currently lacks and the probablity that a rookie could have for serious playing time in 2019.

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Even if running back was our biggest need, this is not the year to spend a high pick on one.  This is not a very good class.

Josh Jacobs is considered the best RB in this class by far, and most see him as a early-mid 2nd round pick.

After that, you have about 10-15 mid-round guys who nobody can agree on, and will likely start coming off the board between the late 2nd and 4th rounds.  So unless you are a huge fan of Jacobs, the sweet spot for RB is early on Day 3.

On top of that, many of us believe that most of LeSean McCoy's problems last year were due to the O-Line.  Nobody could have had success behind our blocking last season.  Especially not a RB who relies on elusiveness, and isn't great at breaking tackles.  Not Ezekiel Elliott.  Not Saquan Barkley.  Not Todd Gurley.  It was a total disaster.  Since Beane has focused heavily on fixing our O-Line (five free agents added), there is plenty of reason to be optimistic for the running game to recover next season.

If McCoy is truly done, then we simply put Frank Gore into the lineup.  Sure, Gore is not the long-term answer.  But he was still one of the NFL's best running backs last season and should still be very effective.  Running back isn't a position that needs grooming and development.  Most of the league's top runners played great as rookies.  So if we can get ONE good season out of either McCoy or Gore, we can plan on drafting a guy earlier in 2020 - hopefully with a better class of RBs available.

As a final point, I think many of us recognize the importance of having a Pro-Bowl workhouse running back is passing away.  The Patriots have been successful for years with a committee approach.  The Saints too.  The Chiefs and Steelers lost their top guys last season and never missed a beat.  Gurley was totally ineffective down the stretch, and the Rams still made the Super Bowl by plugging in a guy off the street.  The Giants immediately drafted/inserted a Top 5 guy into their lineup, and he made no impact on the team's record.

Thanks; good post.

And I hope you are right.

But, to me, a great running back this year can make the Bills a playoff team.  Allen is a dynamic player, hard to stop and defend.  If the Bills add all around back, like a Thurman Thomas, it could be the most important step they take in the draft.