Josh Allen vs Carson Wentz - Rookie Season

wppete

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im just gonna say it...stop with the Cam Newton comparisons to Allen, they are not the same QB.  I do understand the comparison, but Allen is not in the mold of Cam.  Is there some similarities, sure, but the reality is the type of game they play is not the same nor is Allens projection.  

Of course Cam is a good comparison. Right now, Allen's use of his legs is a major part of his game. And a major part of his success. Even in Ben's more youthful and slimmer days he was never a real threat to run in the way Cam and Allen are. And Ben was 62%+ completion his first two years in the league. I think a part of Allen's accuracy issues comes from his use of his legs as a runner. He gets gassed at times. The end of the first Miami game was a perfect example of this. This is something we often see from Cam Newton in games too.

That said, I do see Allen as having greater potential as a passer than Cam. But he has to work on it still.  And I hope he doesn't stop using his legs because he is terrific threat in that regard. Even if we have to take some of the bad with the good along the way. 

On 3/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, GunnerBill said:

His injuries are a legitimate concern. That said we shouldn't skate over the fact that Allen missed a stretch of games there his rookie year too.

Allen also had one of the worst assembled Olines in modern football 

On 3/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

He will be with an improved set of receivers

Biggest takeaway from this video will always be how terrible zay jones is

the guy is 1 season away from being unemployed. 

9 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Man, Zay Jones is really bad.

Well, I'd never watched that video.   It's pretty bad. 

Now, to be fair to the receivers, no team's receivers makes ALL those catches.  A lot of those catches were pretty well contested by the defenders.   The real problem is that if someone put together a video of CONTESTED catches the Bills made, it would be a lot shorter than this video.  

Also, a few of Allen's throws were bad. 

Finally, the same thing happened to me that happens every time I watch 2018 plays - what I see is a really, really good quarterback.  

On 3/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Ha, I was being a bit sarcastic on Losman...but he did have a brief promising stretch to end one season.  I was never a fan of the pick nor of his.  I did have some hope during that one stretch though that he would prove me wrong.

I remember having a glimmer of silly hope when he threw his 20th TD pass in a finale against the Ravens.

Yep, I liked JP. Guilty.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2019 at 11:58 AM, Shaw66 said:

Of course, this data is cherry picked.  Wentz had a completion percentage of 62.4; Allen was 52.8.   That's a very important difference.  

The result is that their passer ratings were very different:  79.3 vs. 67.9.   A passer rating in the high 70s is pretty good; many good rookies finish there, and some not so good (EJ Manuel, for example).   A rookie passer rating in the high 60s is not good.  

Personally, I think Josh will have a completion percentage over 60% this season, because the Bills will stress to him the importance of throwing shorter passes to increase his completion percentage.  But what I think and what actually happens often are two dramatically different things.  

Josh needs to be better to be effective.   

Agreed.  I'm hoping his week 17 game versus the Dolphins is a sign of things to come.  He's still going to take his shots downfield, but I think part of his growth needs to be he doesn't have to do that all the time.  Another part of his future success will be better protection from his offensive line, better running game and receivers who can gain separation.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I'd never watched that video.   It's pretty bad. 

Now, to be fair to the receivers, no team's receivers makes ALL those catches.  A lot of those catches were pretty well contested by the defenders.   The real problem is that if someone put together a video of CONTESTED catches the Bills made, it would be a lot shorter than this video.  

Also, a few of Allen's throws were bad. 

Finally, the same thing happened to me that happens every time I watch 2018 plays - what I see is a really, really good quarterback.  

And I would put a solid wager on it being much shorter that about 80% of the other teams contested reels as well. 

If Allen has a second season even 3/4 close to what Wentz was able to accomplish year two everyone here should be ecstatic.  Wentz is a much better passer, but Allen has a certain "it" factor.  Truth is, they both had crap surrounding them in their first year, and for what they had talent wise, they came out of it better.  Carson had to throw the ball 600+ times because the team was so bad.  It's amazing they were able to come out the college in the division they were in and compete year one.  To the dim bulbs that think Wentz isn't that good, you obviously don't watch anything much other than the Bills.  Like I said...I'd be thrilled with 3/4 of this production.  

I guess Wentz is overrated ?

Edited by YodaMan79