New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kevin Massare. He has (or had) a Bills podcast and had some inside sources with the old regime. Road Sodas thing is a really old joke about something he posted and the nickname stuck 

argh okay, it is  not his handle..

Meh, I have been to Lucas Oil a couple of times it might just be the fan base but it is a very quiet stadium, like being in church. Really not to exciting architecturally either. I am planning to go to Jerry World for the Thanksgiving game so maybe that will provide the excitement DNA of this stadium. Having said that if this is true it is really awesome news because it truly and finally solidifies our long term future in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Meh, I have been to Lucas Oil a couple of times it might just be the fan base but it is a very quiet stadium, like being in church. Really not to exciting architecturally either. I am planning to go to Jerry World for the Thanksgiving game so maybe that will provide the excitement DNA of this stadium. Having said that if this is true it is really awesome news because it truly and finally solidifies our long term future in WNY.

Their fan base is still somewhat of a wine and cheese crowd (that’s what i call people who go to the game to be seen and sit on their hands except for at the wrong times)* They were spoiled by the Peyton Manning years and it’s largely a basketball and racing city. 

* they have to put up on the Jumbotron for the fans to be quiet when the colts are on offense because they have no idea what to do 

I haven’t been to every stadium but Lucas Oil is darn near perfect imo 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their fan base is still somewhat of a wine and cheese crowd (that’s what i call people who go to the game to be seen and sit on their hands except for at the wrong times)* They were spoiled by the Peyton Manning years and it’s largely a basketball and racing city. 

* they have to put up on the Jumbotron for the fans to be quiet when the colts are on offense because they have no idea what to do 

I haven’t been to every stadium but Lucas Oil is darn near perfect imo 

There should be some kind of remedial “Football Fan 101” class they need to take and pass a short test before being allowed to purchase tickets! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to think that (if this is true)  it is retractable. I know Lucas Oil’s is. Is Jerry World retractable? 

...Lucas Oil Stadium would be a good model...built in 2008 for $720 mil which is roughly $842 mil today.....Jurrah's mausoleum does have a retractable roof, was built in 2009 for $1.3 billion which is $1.52 billion today.....

Its gonna be an absolute disaster if they move downtown. Every bit of familiarity, as well as hospitality and history, will be destroyed. Keep it where it is! Buy the college land across the street if you must build new,  but keep it in O.P!

Pray this is not true. And for Christ's sake...no damn dome

Edited by BuffAlone
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Its gonna be an absolute disaster if they move downtown. Every bit of familiarity, as well as hospitality and history, will be destroyed. Keep it where it is! Buy the college land across the street if you must build new,  but keep it in O.P!

...could see downtown being an infrastructure nightmare.......probably talking billions in Fed funds to overhaul traffic flow....and they would be ready by 2038.....imagine leaving a downtown Bills game in October at 4PM versus the inflow of Sabres fans for a 7PM game?....hell, you'd probably miss Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws...:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Pegula seems very much committed to the idea of modernizing and leaving the past in the past.

A downtown stadium would be different and the tailgating aspect would be dramatically altered. But just like all the recent stadiums built in cities "comparable" to Buffalo, the gameday experience is what you make of it. Different isn't always bad.

The days long outdoor party would be gone, but fans would find a way to replace it IMO. 

I've loved the atmosphere for each game I've attended in OP; but I'm willing to see what they come up with downtown before casting judgement. 

At the end of the day, the number 1 draw for me personally is watching the Bills play football.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

It would be nice somewhere along the new waterfront. 

Oh heck no. Sure it's nice for the opener and a few games. But by late November it's ice tsunamis!

I smell ?. I do think the Pegulas will build downtown but not a retractable roof and definitely not a Jerruh-style Taj Mahal. Look at Vikings US Bank Stadium as the template. Fixed glass roof with sides that open up for air flow. 65K max capacity.

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Yes roof. No one really wants to freeze in December. There is no more home field weather advantage. 

49 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...could see downtown being an infrastructure nightmare.......probably talking billions in Fed funds to overhaul traffic flow....and they would be ready by 2038.....imagine leaving a downtown Bills game in October at 4PM versus the inflow of Sabres fans for a 7PM game?....hell, you'd probably miss Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws...:thumbsup:

And yet other cities manage. What makes Buffalo so different? Relax.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Pegula seems very much committed to the idea of modernizing and leaving the past in the past.

A downtown stadium would be different and the tailgating aspect would be dramatically altered. But just like all the recent stadiums built in cities "comparable" to Buffalo, the gameday experience is what you make of it. Different isn't always bad.

The days long outdoor party would be gone, but fans would find a way to replace it IMO. 

I've loved the atmosphere for each game I've attended in OP; but I'm willing to see what they come up with downtown before casting judgement. 

At the end of the day, the number 1 draw for me personally is watching the Bills play football.

I understand your point. But tailgating at the Bills game, at a historic and storied venue, would be over. Period. At the end of the day, its the EXPERIANCE that is the number one draw for me. And...a dome? Bad, costly, ill advised moved imo. There's one thing that separates us from the rest of the league...separation.difference.some other way of living besides the mass amounts of cash being spent. Its really a unique thing. Not unlike Green Bay. Please, if we move...do NOT build a dome.The facilities and weather are as much a part of this storied franchise as Jim Kelly, Andre, Bruce, Thurman, Jack, Cookie, OJ, etc. Would be a poor decision. IMHO. I hope it don't happen

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

This is big picture thinking.

I have a feeling the Pegulas are getting the squeeze from higher up.

Buffalo doesn't need to add itself to a list that includes San Diego, Saint Louis and Oakland

• Like (+1) 2

Well...I just like the location. It would be such a big part of the resurgence down town. Something to compliment Canalside...find a way to get around the weather...might lose the weather advantage though.

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh heck no. Sure it's nice for the opener and a few games. But by late November it's ice tsunamis!

I smell ?. I do think the Pegulas will build downtown but not a retractable roof and definitely not a Jerruh-style Taj Mahal. Look at Vikings US Bank Stadium as the template. Fixed glass roof with sides that open up for air flow. 65K max capacity.

Yes roof. No one really wants to freeze in December. There is no more home field weather advantage. 

And yet other cities manage. What makes Buffalo so different? Relax.

gimme a break. It's BUFFALO IN DECEMBER!! Its part of ALL OF US. NFL included! If that's the case, then I want an air cooled stadium in Miami until December of every year. And hot cheese in Green Bay every winter. And maybe take Mile High stadium down hill 3 thousand feet while your at it??

P.S. Promo.....if you got seasons for sale, let me know. I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands

Edited by BuffAlone

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

I thought they weren't even expecting to be done with the surveys and studies until the end of summer. I find it hard to believe they would have a solid plan before that was all done.

Agreed. 

A no-name guy tweets something on a Friday afternoon?     Not buying anything he's selling...