New Stadium Talk as of owner’s meetings

I would assume clearing land, clearing buildings, and access in and out would be part of the proposal. Just for parking alone they would need probably over 300 acres. I can see seating capacity around 65k. Cardinals stadium seats 63k. I went to Garth Brooks there this past weekend...70k people. Sat in the parking lot for over an hour before we could even get out of our parking spot and there is a freeway right next to the stadium with multiple access points. Going to Bills games now is fairly easy to get in and out of. Dont expect the same if they put the stadium anywhere close to downtown. 

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I was in indy this year. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it until I got in there..... I hated it. it was a beautiful, brisk, sunny day in the low to mid 40's on the walk up the stadium and then you lose it all as you walk into the controlled climate. I was actually surprised how much I didn't like it. and my wife, who cant stand the cold, wasn't all that impressed either. 

being inside just didn't real right. didn't feel like a gameday.

An indoor stadium would be the best for the Bills. You would get a lot more people coming out to december games. 

From reading this thread and others it seems its an older fan base that posts here. A lot of you hate change. 

A downtown domed stadium would be great IMO. With all the bars and restaurants downtown now who needs tailgating. They have better beer at the bars over the Blue and Genny that most seem to love. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn’t want one.  But I think it’s going to come down to that study. Looking at similar cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland - no dome. Indy and Detroit do have one. I would go with retractable. 

A retractable roof is the right answer for our area.  The problem is the additional cost.  I'm not sure of the exact number, but I am guessing you're looking at a couple hundred million more for that feature.  I am a firm believer that this facility should be a year-round entertainment complex that can be used more than 8-15 dates a year.  So, some sort of roof is necessary for that.  I know personally that as I get older, the prospect of going to sit in the snow and cold isn't as easy to do as it used to be.  The owner may say he doesn't want a dome, but he's also sitting in a beautiful heated owner's box and not outside in the cold and snow.  But, on the other hand, nothing beats being in an open air stadium on a beautiful fall day.  So yeah, a retractable roof is the right option and I hope that's what they settle on.

Also, part of me wants some sort of roof on the place just to get rid of the stupid excuse of the weather being a reason to be a ground and pound team and a reason to not step into this new NFL that requires a top passing game.  And honestly, it may help get certain free agents here as well that don't want to play in the snow and cold, even though that is usually only for 1-2 games, at most, per year.  It could take away a lot of preconceived notions about the city and team from those that aren't from around here.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's become less of a working man's sport and more of a yuppie executive's.

This^ The constant “yuppification” of everything has really taken the fun out of many things. When people think of tailgating, they tend to think of all the stupid antics. There is plenty of that, but I choose to think about the good parts. It’s so enjoyable to spend Sunday morning sitting around grilling and beer drinking. I have no desire to sit in a crowded restaurant drinking over priced beer while eating an overpriced cheeseburger. Nothing against restaurants, there are perfect moments to visit them, but I’d prefer to grill my food and drink my beer on game day. It’s a huge part of the experience that I’d miss. I can hang out in a bar or restaurant any day of the week if I choose to do so. Sadly, the game is becoming geared towards the wine and cheese crowd. The idea of grilling outside on a Sunday morning is likely beneath the image the league wants these days. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This^ The constant “yuppifcation” of everything has really taken the fun out of many things. When people think of tailgating, they tend to think of all the stupid antics. There is plenty of that, but I choose to think about the good parts. It’s so enjoyable to spend Sunday morning sitting around grilling and beer drinking. I have no desire to sit in a crowded restaurant drinking over priced beer while eating an overpriced cheeseburger. Nothing against restaurants, there are perfect moments to visit them, but I’d prefer to grill my food and drink my beer on game day. It’s a huge part of the experience that I’d miss. I can hang out in a bar or restaurant any day of the week if I choose to do so. Sadly, the game is becoming geared towards the wine and cheese crowd. The idea of grilling outside on a Sunday morning is likely beneath the image the league wants these days. 

Plenty of folks from all demographics enjoy tailgating. September/ October are simply best. The weather is pretty wretched in Nov and Dec to sit outside watching a football game. That’s the problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't care downtown OP, roof, no roof..i only want a couple of things

1) Not a huge middle ring of the stadium three stories of suites. I like sitting in the upper deck, and the stadiums that do this like Gillette and Fed -Ex just suck .

2) Standing Room spots. I would prefer  assigned/ticketed standing room spots so you can go tot he potty, grab a beer etc and not lose your place. Someplaces do this and it is awesome

3) A decent beer selection

Thats it, and i am happy

29 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This^ The constant “yuppifcation” of everything has really taken the fun out of many things. When people think of tailgating, they tend to think of all the stupid antics. There is plenty of that, but I choose to think about the good parts. It’s so enjoyable to spend Sunday morning sitting around grilling and beer drinking. I have no desire to sit in a crowded restaurant drinking over priced beer while eating an overpriced cheeseburger. Nothing against restaurants, there are perfect moments to visit them, but I’d prefer to grill my food and drink my beer on game day. It’s a huge part of the experience that I’d miss. I can hang out in a bar or restaurant any day of the week if I choose to do so. Sadly, the game is becoming geared towards the wine and cheese crowd. The idea of grilling outside on a Sunday morning is likely beneath the image the league wants these days. 

I couldn't agree with you more. Some of my favorite memories as a kid was tailgating at ECC with 20 family members cooking on the grill playing football. Now that I'm 40 I like to do the same with some beers involved! I don't want to be in a bar before the game I wanna be outside grilling and drinking some beers!

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Retractable would make the most sense and would favor everyone.  It would also be able to be used for purposes other than football if it was.

I am not in favor of a retractable roof. Here in Houston, we have one and the damn thing is closed all the time!! Said to "enhance the home field advantage". BS. I can't stand that. It's Houston, it's sunny, open the damn roof. Happens over at Minute Maid Park, too (Astros). I feel the same would happen in Buffalo, but for different reasons. Here's it's "too hot", so they'll close the roof and make it louder. In Buffalo, any chance of snow and they'll close the roof. I think we lose an advantage to Southern/West Coast/Doom teams that can't play in snow. Jim Kelly grow up in East Brady, PA and was already used the play in the snow! We need that!!

10 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I think we lose an advantage to Southern/West Coast/Doom teams that can't play in snow. Jim Kelly grow up in East Brady, PA and was already used the play in the snow! We need that!!

This is a never ending myth.  How many players on the current roster have played in snow that has a significant effect on the game.  There is no advantage for the Bills in a snow game.  NONE.

[edited]How is it that Indy(a dome team) came into RWS two years ago, and beat the Bills while the snow piled up quarter after quarter?

Edited by LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I am not in favor of a retractable roof. Here in Houston, we have one and the damn thing is closed all the time!! Said to "enhance the home field advantage". BS. I can't stand that. It's Houston, it's sunny, open the damn roof. Happens over at Minute Maid Park, too (Astros). I feel the same would happen in Buffalo, but for different reasons. Here's it's "too hot", so they'll close the roof and make it louder. In Buffalo, any chance of snow and they'll close the roof. I think we lose an advantage to Southern/West Coast/Doom teams that can't play in snow. Jim Kelly grow up in East Brady, PA and was already used the play in the snow! We need that!!

It's probably always closed in Houston because they are running the AC all the time and don't want the high electricity bill. 

But in all honestly I don't think they would close it for heat reasons in Buffalo and would probably only close it for extreme weather conditions.  Like, you know, 7ft of snow. 

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This is a never ending myth.  How many players on the current roster have played in snow that has a significant effect on the game.  There is no advantage for the Bills in a snow game.  NONE.

You know that and I know that. It seems that a lot of the posters here are older fans and don't like change.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn’t want one.  But I think it’s going to come down to that study. Looking at similar cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland - no dome. Indy and Detroit do have one. I would go with retractable. 

For what, two games a year?  Most places that have retractable roofs rarely have them open, even in good weather.  If folks want to be inside, watch at home or the bar.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's probably always closed in Houston because they are running the AC all the time and don't want the high electricity bill. 

But in all honestly I don't think they would close it for heat reasons in Buffalo and would probably only close it for extreme weather conditions.  Like, you know, 7ft of snow. 

The general upkeep and maintenance costs of a retractable roof in Buffalo make zero financial sense. It is either dome or no dome

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm soon to be 60, AND want change. Give me a domed stadium ASAP.

I agree with that. It seems you are in the minority.   

As far as having a domed stadium and upgraded amenities, its cause of the advances in tv. A lot of people find it better to sit at home and watch the game. Teams are finding that they have to make the game more of an experience. Tailgating isn't the draw anymore. A good example of a great stadium is Progressive field in Cleveland. It has a kids play area, lots of craft beer options, a bar area that overlooks the field. When they build the new stadium they should keep those kind of things in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1