Owners vote to eliminate blindside blocks. Play of Kelvin Benjamin CRUSHING Dev McCourtney used by NFL as example

StHustle

9 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

As a player, I always thought those plays were the equivalent of a sucker punch or attacking someone from behind. No honor in those plays, glad to see them gone. It is in the same vein as laying out a defenseless receiver. There is just no need for those potentially life altering plays, let alone rewarding the players who prey on the defenseless.

Not sure why its so hard for people to grasp this concept. Seems we are in the minority. Times change man...with all this CTE stuff becoming more and more clear, it amazes me that so many people still wanna see these unsafe plays for their entertainment. Football is still just as fun to watch to me.

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

If the block allows your player to continue to gain yards....im all for it.

If you hit someone and he is nowhere around the ball...im ok with the flag.

Like the one where Josh Rosen is scrambling and a defender is coming around his back....are you serious? You have to block that dude.

excellent point 

29 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think we were just done a disservice. I'm guessing this play was chosen because a Patriots player was the victim.

If you want to show the true quality of a McD coached player legally "blocking" the snot out of an opposing player I would have gone with Logan Thomas.

Damn nice hit by a freight train!!!! 

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Not sure why its so hard for people to grasp this concept. Seems we are in the minority. Times change man...with all this CTE stuff becoming more and more clear, it amazes me that so many people still wanna see these unsafe plays for their entertainment. Football is still just as fun to watch to me.

I bet if there was a study on those players you would find they commit higher rates of domestic abuse too. I just don’t get how anyone can laud those plays. There is no courage in them, they are gutless plays.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

My son was knocked out on blindside block on a punt in a high school football game.  The play resulted in him being life-flighted to a trauma center. Fortunately, other than a concussion, there was no other damage.  Scariest moment of my life.  I approve of the new rule. 

Sorry to hear about that. The rules for high school leagues are already different and should be. There are already pretty strict contact rules in place.

It can be a dangerous situation. A lot of kids are new to the game, and are not sure what they should be doing. Even with the stricter rules. Plenty of guys coaching HS shouldn't be too, parents should feel right about a program and ask around first.

It's a tough as a coach, but the NFL has been putting a lot of money into supporting HS football, drilling  proper technique, money towards better equipment, and you will still have that kid that leads with the crown, gets his head bent and leaves your heart in your throat.

Our league did not have any rules against cut blocks, but i would not let the boys use them...yeah, lets mangle some high school kids knees in front of his mom.

Some other schools however, had the Neanderthal coaches who would cut our linemen constantly. Usually ended up with some kind of exchange if I could not get the refs to step in - usually they would if pointed out.

Once in college and pros most of the athletes not named Alonzo should have a clue about what constitutes fast, hard play vs dangerous career-ending plays.

6 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I bet if there was a study on those players you would find they commit higher rates of domestic abuse too. I just don’t get how anyone can laud those plays. There is no courage in them, they are gutless plays.

I'm not a big fan of throwing out a theory as a fact and declaring that there needs to be a study to confirm the fact. You have no basis to make your claim about domestic abuse rates other so I wouldn't besmirch people as abusers.

The plays in question were legal at the time. Now there will be just another judgement call for the refs to make. This never works out well. Look at the QB tackles last year.

With the rule change, any forcible contact by the blocker with his head, shoulder or forearm is prohibited. I'm not convinced "forcible" will mean the same thing for every team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Had this rule been passed earlier, Aaron Williams might still be playing.

that's not quite the same thing with a TE/WR trucking a DB....

and the O LIVES to knock the living pus out of a DB, just hoping to be able to get a full head of steam downfield.

i think it already was illegal to make that block while heading back toward the line-of-scrimmage but that may not be true.  We need to see the NFL video of legal blocks of a trailing defender although if the block is to the chest I do not know how it can be argued that the hit was "blindside."

Here's one brought to my mind:  Robert Woods on Poszlusny .  Some discussion at the time that the hit needed to be low to be a "peelback block penalty"  which it definitely was not.

We always got the ""block made while heading toward the LOS" from game broadcasts but it would not surprise me if they got the rule wrong.

It will probably be just another poorly designed rule that brings me to anger every time the officials misapply it.

Then there's this one from last year:  Tre White Prevents First Down

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think we were just done a disservice. I'm guessing this play was chosen because a Patriots player was the victim.

If you want to show the true quality of a McD coached player legally "blocking" the snot out of an opposing player I would have gone with Logan Thomas.

Nice thing is, that would technically still be legal, under the new rule.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The most ‘wussified’ thing one can do in any contact sport is unload and blow up some dude that doesn’t see you. 

Real sportsmen want to look you in the eyes right before plowing a shoulder through your numbers.  

As was stated ....  Head on a Swivel.   

This is dangerous territory.   

How will this effect -  Blindside hits on a QB ??   Many hits that cause fumbles are blindside hits.  

(if it hasn't already been said)  I'll add ...  Get your head in the game.  

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

As was stated ....  Head on a Swivel.   

This is dangerous territory.   

How will this effect -  Blindside hits on a QB ??   Many hits that cause fumbles are blindside hits.  

(if it hasn't already been said)  I'll add ...  Get your head in the game.  

Get you point. It’s a slippery slope...  If you’ve ever played any contact sport in your life, you know the difference between a good hit and a cheap shot. 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Get you point. It’s a slippery slope...  If you’ve ever played any contact sport in your life, you know the difference between a good hit and a cheap shot. 

If the guy being blind sided is not in a position to make a play then I agree it should be illegal 

but a well timed block could make or break a score 

47 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If the guy being blind sided is not in a position to make a play then I agree it should be illegal 

but a well timed block could make or break a score 

Yep- but if they don’t see you, you don’t have to decapitate them... in those circumstances it doesn’t take much to take them out of the play 

21 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

A blindside block is very similar to clipping.  No one thinks NFL players are pansies because clipping is not allowed, or chop blocks, or horse collar tackles or face masking. People who oppose this are just pretending they are internet tough guys.  

on INTs and returns and blocked kicked and other non-normal plays, there are key vulnerable people out there and you can't go out and murder them unless they are legally hittable.

a code is set up as well, which is highly enforced with twice the impunity

On 3/27/2019 at 1:44 AM, StHustle said:

This move is a few years past due with all the player safety concerns in recent times. My only hope is our players make the adjustment quickly. We have the best returner in the league now and there are few things worse in a game than to have a long return called back. 

Of course, one of their precious Patriots got hurt... How about the illegal elbow drop during that game (I think) which only gave Gronk a game suspension. Guy should have been suspended for the season. How about Deflategate... And just because you win the following game, doesn't suddenly exonerate you from cheating the game before.

OK, I'm done...