Owners vote to eliminate blindside blocks. Play of Kelvin Benjamin CRUSHING Dev McCourtney used by NFL as example

StHustle

Wow. A penalty because guys aren't aware of their surroundings? Just go out there with horse blinders so you can draw a penalty every time you get blocked.

I really don't like this. It's the defender's job to be aware. If you hit them in the head/neck area, sure it's a foul, but a clean hit on their body shouldn't ever be a foul.

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yep- but if they don’t see you, you don’t have to decapitate them... in those circumstances it doesn’t take much to take them out of the play 

This rule doesn't take into account how vicious the hit is. ANY block, even if it is just a nudge, could potentially be called, which is a big problem to me. The defender just has to not be looking around.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow. A penalty because guys aren't aware of their surroundings? Just go out there with horse blinders so you can draw a penalty every time you get blocked.

I really don't like this. It's the defender's job to be aware. If you hit them in the head/neck area, sure it's a foul, but a clean hit on their body shouldn't ever be a foul.

This rule doesn't take into account how vicious the hit is. ANY block, even if it is just a nudge, could potentially be called, which is a big problem to me. The defender just has to not be looking around.

I see your point.

Maybe the answer is something like;

A fair independent review to take the on the spot judgment out of the game. 

Increase fines and suspension like with with other stuff.   

As as an example I see Poyer and Hyde let up and not kill a guy when when they could quite often. Still good safeties though. 

How is do you make that part of the sportsmanship around the game? 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I see your point.

Maybe the answer is something like;

A fair independent review to take the on the spot judgment out of the game. 

Increase fines and suspension like with with other stuff.   

As as an example I see Poyer and Hyde let up and not kill a guy when when they could quite often. Still good safeties though. 

How is do you make that part of the sportsmanship around the game? 

The answer is to enforce the penalties for hits to the head / neck of the player. They also have an unnecessary roughness penalty that can be used to penalize any vicious, unnecessary hit. I don't think they need a new rule that takes good plays out of the game.

Haushka was nowhere near the play - and these should always be illegal. Otherwise, block on! Defense players want to be the only ones dishing out punishment. As I recall, BLOCKING is one of the unique aspects of football in team sports...

42 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You completely ignored the question. Presumably because you know you ar being ridiculous 

Not ridiculous at all.  That's the way it's going, chief. 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What do you coach your players to do now? Sort of just run into the player with your chest? Extend two hands out?

Don't be ridiculous.

Just now, Doc said:

Don't be ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all Doc. It is an honest question. Players are still going to have to block in this situation where they find themselves peeling back towards their goaline. So how do they do that? Why wouldn't throwing a chest block or hand block work? It appears legal under the rules and won't be as forceful as launching your head, shoulder or forearm. 

Receivers use two hands two block all the time off the line of scrimmage. Why wouldn't they use two hands two block in this situation? Do you have a better blocking alternative?

32 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not ridiculous at all Doc. It is an honest question. Players are still going to have to block in this situation where they find themselves peeling back towards their goaline. So how do they do that? Why wouldn't throwing a chest block or hand block work? It appears legal under the rules and won't be as forceful as launching your head, shoulder or forearm. 

Receivers use two hands two block all the time off the line of scrimmage. Why wouldn't they use two hands two block in this situation? Do you have a better blocking alternative?

I was being facetious.  I basically proposed the same thing earlier.

These hits should not be illegal. If the tackler doesn't wanna get blocked then he should pay attention to where he is running and not just staring at the ball carrier. It's as simple as that. And that last one they used as an example isn't even blindside. That block was directly in front of him

Blind my ass. The blocks I saw in that video were front on. Just because you dont see it coming does not mean you shouldn't. 

I get the safety thing but Cmon man!

Does every hard hit have to be a foul?