Owners vote to eliminate blindside blocks. Play of Kelvin Benjamin CRUSHING Dev McCourtney used by NFL as example

StHustle

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I dont like the rule change. I think field awareness is a big part of a game. You cant just play "see ball, get ball" and have no worries. Big hits are highlight makers.

they arent going to show the blind shot on steven hauschka though? that hit messed him up for the rest of the year. 

Head on a swivel.   

I might be OK with it if its a blindside on kicker. 

9 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

My son was knocked out on blindside block on a punt in a high school football game.  The play resulted in him being life-flighted to a trauma center. Fortunately, other than a concussion, there was no other damage.  Scariest moment of my life.  I approve of the new rule. 

Sorry to hear and glad thats all it was.

I'd like to know  - How often does a player get injured before I would make a call as to the wussification of the NFL.  

18 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

The phrase “keep your head on a swivel” is now dead for both football and hockey. 

In honor of the Primetime thread, I really miss the Jacked Up segment. I’m fine with them making the game as safe as possible, I’m not fine with them changing the league entirely. 

You can flag cheap shots, suspend guys, banish guys etc. but some of this stuff goes beyond that. Plenty of professions where people sacrifice their own quality of life for $. I will miss the “real NFL” when it’s gone, seems like the game will be transformed into something else in the next 10 years. 

I guess I should have read further down.   basically everything I said   :thumbsup:

Yell  HEY DUMMY so he turns to look at who's yelling  ;)  

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

So are you suppose to let the defender in pursuit go?  Those are instances where they have the angle and would have legitimate chances of making a tackle.

It's possible to block players without laying them out. It happens on every play of an NFL game without issue.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

How about allowing roughing-the-passer calls to be reviewed and showing the bull#### one called against the Bills on Tommy Boy?

you mean like patting a teammates helmet as the opponent starts to stand up??  

that call on Brady in the KC game caught nothing but air 

• Like (+1) 1

If the block allows your player to continue to gain yards....im all for it.

If you hit someone and he is nowhere around the ball...im ok with the flag.

Like the one where Josh Rosen is scrambling and a defender is coming around his back....are you serious? You have to block that dude.

Yeah I don't like this rule. It's lame. I understand injuries happen, but these are awesome blocks and why a lot of people like football. They are definitely taking excitement out of the game. I'm surprised they don't eliminate trap blocking and cut blocking. South Park was a bit ahead of its time. 

0edb8fda726c4b6783323e06ae0fe29c.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

I have to wonder if the NFL also provides some direction on what some of these players performing the now illegal blocks were supposed to do instead or if that video is it.  The NFL can't really expect those guys to just not try to block anyone.  Hopefully they at least give them a little more leniency in using their hands in some of those situations.

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

they arent going to show the blind shot on steven hauschka though? that hit messed him up for the rest of the year. 

Yeah, notice how KB gets charged, but the dingleberry from the Jets who turned Hausch-Money into Hausch-Food Stamps gets away with it. 

Yet another case of the NFL vs the Bills... 

I'm here all night, kids.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

How about allowing roughing-the-passer calls to be reviewed and showing the bull#### one called against the Bills on Tommy Boy?

I'm guessing that comes too soon.  All it takes is someone loses an important game for it to reviewed.  Get better refs and this would not need to happen.  They need to go through a hiring binge to get some of the bad ones out of there.  

I think we were just done a disservice. I'm guessing this play was chosen because a Patriots player was the victim.

If you want to show the true quality of a McD coached player legally "blocking" the snot out of an opposing player I would have gone with Logan Thomas.

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Like (+1) 1

As a player, I always thought those plays were the equivalent of a sucker punch or attacking someone from behind. No honor in those plays, glad to see them gone. It is in the same vein as laying out a defenseless receiver. There is just no need for those potentially life altering plays, let alone rewarding the players who prey on the defenseless.

• Thank you (+1) 1