Owners vote to eliminate blindside blocks. Play of Kelvin Benjamin CRUSHING Dev McCourtney used by NFL as example

StHustle

This move is a few years past due with all the player safety concerns in recent times. My only hope is our players make the adjustment quickly. We have the best returner in the league now and there are few things worse in a game than to have a long return called back. 

19 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We're we penalized on this anyway?

Nope. It was a perfectly legal block last year. No longer. This will make long returns a bit harder. With that said Im glad we got Roberts to maximize our chances.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont like the rule change. I think field awareness is a big part of a game. You cant just play "see ball, get ball" and have no worries. Big hits are highlight makers.

they arent going to show the blind shot on steven hauschka though? that hit messed him up for the rest of the year. 

• Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I dont like the rule change. I think field awareness is a big part of a game. You cant just play "see ball, get ball" and have no worries. Big hits are highlight makers.

they arent going to show the blind shot on steven hauschka though? that hit messed him up for the rest of the year. 

I don't like the consequences of the rule change but I do believe the consequences of not changing the rule are worse. If 33% of kickoff/punt concussions come from these type of blocks, I'd prefer this change than the ridiculous idea of eliminating kicks.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for player safety, I don't want to see anyone get injured.  They have made an effort to remove the head and helmet from tackling and that's great, but if you now penalize the forearm and shoulder initiating contact, how the hell are you supposed to block someone???  

"Gather 'round fellas, I want to introduce you to our new blocking coach, Master Po."

monk.jpg.ae4e90f0080279a6f8690a15cbcee3df.jpg

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

Of course those ass-hats would pick that play and not the one where our freaking kicker got destroyed.

That group is so bent.

All I see is one more thing to slow the game down to a crawl, and the blind side is apparently the front side with the numbers, but only blind when someone does not see it coming...do all blocks have to be directly in front of a player while he is paying attention. What a hot mess.

But on the bright side more long drawn out penalties, more commercials.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Or the Jarvis Landry one on Aaron Williams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

100% agree, you put yourself at risk if during a turnover you just blindly pursue the ball.  Pretty soon they're gonna ban hitting a guy if he makes himself airborne.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

Nope. It was a perfectly legal block last year. No longer. This will make long returns a bit harder. With that said Im glad we got Roberts to maximize our chances.

Weren't we penalized on this play?  Thinking back to it, I thought it was a terrible call because it wasn't illegal, but since it was the Patriots, I wasn't surprised it was called.  It was a huge Shady run that would have helped us out in a game where we mostly kept Brady in check, but couldn't do anything on offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm all for player safety, I don't want to see anyone get injured.  They have made an effort to remove the head and helmet from tackling and that's great, but if you now penalize the forearm and shoulder initiating contact, how the hell are you supposed to block someone???  

The rule will likely just eliminate shoulder/forearm initiating contact. It’s the way high school football has been for a few years. In theory, as long as you lead with your hands and do not follow it up with a shoulder it will be a legal block. Of course this is ridiculous because there is no way to block someone with hands only while they are running full speed at you. It would result in you gettting blown up. 

The phrase “keep your head on a swivel” is now dead for both football and hockey. 

In honor of the Primetime thread, I really miss the Jacked Up segment. I’m fine with them making the game as safe as possible, I’m not fine with them changing the league entirely. 

You can flag cheap shots, suspend guys, banish guys etc. but some of this stuff goes beyond that. Plenty of professions where people sacrifice their own quality of life for $. I will miss the “real NFL” when it’s gone, seems like the game will be transformed into something else in the next 10 years. 

I’m not sure I like the looks of that last clip. If a DL is chasing the QB behind the LOS the OL can’t block him? That doesn’t sound right. The first time a QB gets hurt on this kind of play I suspect they will revisit this situation.

• Like (+1) 2

My son was knocked out on blindside block on a punt in a high school football game.  The play resulted in him being life-flighted to a trauma center. Fortunately, other than a concussion, there was no other damage.  Scariest moment of my life.  I approve of the new rule. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

This move is a few years past due with all the player safety concerns in recent times. My only hope is our players make the adjustment quickly. We have the best returner in the league now and there are few things worse in a game than to have a long return called back. 

I guess I get it....   How is this worse that what Gronk did?   

Are players getting injured frequently by these hits?   Didn't seem to be from what I just watched.