Rules Change for Reviewable Pass Interference Calls and Non-Calls

11 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Of course they will. If I was Mcdermott and I just saw Josh throw the ball 60 yards down the field and there is any hint of PI...you immediately challenge. Youre looking at a 60 yard play.

There will be no consistency here...that will be another big issue. 

Youre going to see two of the same exact plays happen in two different games and each ref will call it differently.

A player laying one finger on a guy is not a hint of PI lol. If it's actually a borderline PI then yeah, it'll be challenged, but I highly doubt you'll see plays with nearly zero contact that get reversed and called a PI.

20 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Of course they will. If I was Mcdermott and I just saw Josh throw the ball 60 yards down the field and there is any hint of PI...you immediately challenge. Youre looking at a 60 yard play.

There will be no consistency here...that will be another big issue. 

Youre going to see two of the same exact plays happen in two different games and each ref will call it differently.

But they will still only have 2 challenges per game. So I am not sure I see lots of totally spurious 'hopeful' challenges.

there still isn't better than a coin's toss chance of getting the call correct, even with dozens of angles to play with

if you are convinced the NFL and the refs are out to screw your team, nothing will improve

and most fans are convinced their team is getting screwed over every single play...

Just saw Adam Schefter insinuate that the Hail Mary to Gronk at the end of Super Bowl LII was pass interference.  Even in slo-mo, it wasn't even close to that.  This from the same guy that thinks Edelman is a Hall of Famer.

He's such a little twerp.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Are fans convinced things have improved dramatically since they put replay in?

So they want to waste 15 more minutes of our time each game?

This fan is.

I don't like it at all.  If they are going to review a pass play and follow the OPI and DPI rules word for word, you could throw a flag on any long throw, and they will see DPI or OPI.

It will be more agonizing frame by frame super slo-mo replays of a DB who touches the WR, therefore it is DPI....or vice versa.

Edited by LabattBlue

28 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't like it at all.  If they are going to review a pass play and follow the OPI and DPI rules word for word, you could throw a flag on any long throw, and they will see DPI or OPI.

It will be more agonizing frame by frame super slo-mo replays of a DB who touches the WR, therefore it is DPI....or vice versa.

I doubt every coach will want to review every play..  

They are not being given an unlimited # of challenge flags.  

I think they will save these for the 4th QTR  and possibly just before half time if they are driving 

3 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

This is a disgusting move. 

PI is a subjective call.

Literally one deep throw gets challenged....and if a defender puts one finger on the WR its technically a PI. 

I havent seen a rule this bad since the force out rule.

PI , as you inferred is considered a judgement call. Many times, the officials don’t call things the same way for both teams. This could help even things out. If judgement is used in live action, it will be used upon review. This move is to correct obvious misses or errors in judgement. I think your fears are unfounded. 

54 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Where is it implied that it will be followed word for word only on review ?  Being able to correct obvious mistakes/ phantom calls a la tredavious @ KC a couple seasons back is a good thing. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Where is it implied that it will be followed word for word only on review ?  Being able to correct obvious mistakes/ phantom calls a la tredavious @ KC a couple seasons back is a good thing. 

You don't think that there is OPI or DPI that can't be called on every single pass play?  Same as holding going on in the trenches on every play.  Yet, how many penalties do you see of this variety in a game with 125-150 snaps?

On 3/26/2019 at 9:53 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Really do not like this at all.  Right now a big pass play goes incomplete and everyone waits for the flag - now we have the additional wait is someone going to challenge it. 

It also means some tricky tack call is going to impact an outcome with a booth review on something with no effect.  

Really wish they would eliminate more replay instead of adding to it.

It would be one thing if they get the call right, but they won’t all it will do is cause more anger and frustration among the fans when a small bump by your DB becomes a 30 yard penalty and a first down late in the game against a team like NE.

Thats what im afraid of...teams are just going to wait until 3 minutes left in the game if they are down and have their QB chuck the ball up and then throw a flag to challenge DPI...biggest potential reward teams would be stupid not to use their challenges on it...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

You don't think that there is OPI or DPI that can't be called on every single pass play?  Same as holding going on in the trenches on every play.  Yet, how many penalties do you see of this variety in a game with 125-150 snaps?

By the letter of the law ? Possibly. However , PI calls have pretty much been standardized as judgement calls. If judgement is exercised on the field , there is no reason it can’t be applied in a replay situation. The entire thing has to fit in the current replay structure anyway, so it’s not like coaches will have unlimited challenges of PI calls/ non calls. It could be a good change in a lot of a situation. I’ll give the league a chance to screw it up before I’ll declare it a failure. 

Halle-FREAKIN-lujah! 

Pass Interference calls not being reviewable has been one of the biggest & most stupid oversights the NFL has allowed for too long. Though all calls have the potential to change a game, PI can dramatically flip a game more so than pretty much all other calls. 

About time they smartened up.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, eball said:

Thanks for taking the time to be more specific with your concerns.  I think you raise some good points.  We have to remember that instituting widespread or revolutionary change in this league won't happen all at once -- it usually takes baby steps.  As McD said yesterday in his interview what happened in the NFC Championship game was "low-hanging fruit" that needed to be addressed.  I believe the rule for this season addresses that situation.  Will coaches look for a way to use the rule to their advantage?  Of course.  Will it be perfect? No.  It's a step in the right direction, though, in my opinion.  Reasonable minds may differ.  Cheers.  :beer:

I agree the Championship game needs to be addressed, but that should be discipline to the guy that missed the call - he made the error.  Would this rule fix that - probably, but in an attempt to fix one blatantly bad call - it brings into question several more very close calls - like the pass defense in the end zone of the Super Bowl or Hail Mary’s where there is contact, but the on-field team rules it as simultaneous.  Now slow mo and frame by frame you can see the contact and it could change a game based strictly on judgement from the league offices.

Dean Blandino backed this all up on One Bills Live yesterday talking about how the league will now have to redefine for both the on field and in booth Refs what to call and how to handle it because like the catch rule - there are many more cases of PI that goes uncalled that with review could be called especially in 2 minutes - unless they redefine how the replay team looks at the play.  Also much like the catch rule there are numerous cases of very borderline issues that could impact the decision and as you saw with the catch rule - it ended up getting out of hand as they tried to redefine and legislate each potential scenario.

The biggest take away I had from Dean was the other point I made - how angry are teams (and fans) going to be when on replay a PI gets overturned (or on challenge does not get called) because the defender held or made illegal contact by definition rather than PI.  You can see the blatant penalty, but that is not reviewable - how does the league handle these because it is going to happen several times.

My final issue is this is a one year trial - it has to be voted in again next year.  If they are going to trial it - do it in preseason for a couple of years before rolling it into the Regular season and playoffs.  I hate when they have a rule that will have an unknown impact and they are going to end up spending part of the year redefining the rule because of mistakes early in the season - meaning oops we screwed teams and realize this impact is bigger than we expected- let’s make some adjustments to fix that.  This happened last year on the sack rule and cost Green Bay a couple of games as they defined how sacks could and could not occur.  

• Like (+1) 1