Rules Change for Reviewable Pass Interference Calls and Non-Calls

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Really do not like this at all.  Right now a big pass play goes incomplete and everyone waits for the flag - now we have the additional wait is someone going to challenge it. 

It also means some tricky tack call is going to impact an outcome with a booth review on something with no effect.  

Really wish they would eliminate more replay instead of adding to it.

It would be one thing if they get the call right, but they won’t all it will do is cause more anger and frustration among the fans when a small bump by your DB becomes a 30 yard penalty and a first down late in the game against a team like NE.

You pretty much nailed it all.   Refs will throw even more flags now with replay as their backup.  It will take longer.  The reviews will be just as capricious as they are for every other play, and they will favor the marquee teams. 

Replay is the worst decision in NFL history.  If I was in charge it would be outlawed forever.

• Like (+1) 3

Really dislike this rule change.  More flags and more stoppage is the opposite of what the league needs.

PI is a judgement call.  There are so many that can go either way. 

At least they’re not allowing more challenges. But the last 2 minutes are going to be hard to watch.  

I think the root of the problem is that PI calls are spot fouls resulting in big yardage gained or lost based on judgement calls. I hate the way PI is officiated. The reward/penalty from the call is often all out of proportion to any other penalty in the game. I guess they are trying the replay route to try to fix the poor officiating on these pivotal calls. 

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Really do not like this at all.  Right now a big pass play goes incomplete and everyone waits for the flag - now we have the additional wait is someone going to challenge it. 

It also means some tricky tack call is going to impact an outcome with a booth review on something with no effect.  

Really wish they would eliminate more replay instead of adding to it.

It would be one thing if they get the call right, but they won’t all it will do is cause more anger and frustration among the fans when a small bump by your DB becomes a 30 yard penalty and a first down late in the game against a team like NE.

Sure, and while they’re at it they can eliminate HD cameras, slow motion replay, and video boards in the stadiums.

”Let’s all bury our heads in the sand and allow correctable mistakes to stand!”

It’s a one year rule. I’d like to see how it plays out. It’s not adding challenges and it will be up to a replay official with under 2:00 in each half. Sounds like a reasonable plan. The solution should not be to avoid technology. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I love this change. It should help remove bias against small market teams like the Bills.   As fans, we just want the right calls made. 

There is no bias. Please stop with that stuff. Bad teams have bad players that commit penalties.

14 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I think the root of the problem is that PI calls are spot fouls resulting in big yardage gained or lost based on judgement calls. I hate the way PI is officiated. The reward/penalty from the call is often all out of proportion to any other penalty in the game. I guess they are trying the replay route to try to fix the poor officiating on these pivotal calls. 

I get where you are coming from and at times I have been in your camp. But why reward the dense with only 15 yards when they likely would have given up many more.  Defenders would just tackle guys beyond 15 yards if they were beaten

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is no bias. Please stop with that stuff. Bad teams have bad players that commit penalties.

Have you ever watched say, a Patriots* game ? A player such as Stephon Gilmore gets away with things that drew flags when he wore a Bills helmet. Their former LT got a lot of holding penalties when he switched to a Giants uniform. To say that NFL officials don’t have a strong bias is crazy. They assume winning teams ( largely determined by a team’s QB, not the DBs or even OL most times) players simply made a good play rather than “ broke the rules”. Fouls are committed on almost every play in the MFL; they are mostly what you would consider “ judgment calls”. That’s where the bias comes is. A player on a losing team like the Bills grabs some jersey or holds a WRs arm late in a close game and the flag comes out. A NE player does the same or worse and it is ignored, as the player must have made a great play. It’s maddeningly obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I love this change. It should help remove bias against small market teams like the Bills.   As fans, we just want the right calls made. 

Yeah , the Bills probably would have won a few super bowls recently if not for the bias. Good grief.

As many of you gents have outlined... the mechanism for executing the review probably won’t affect game flow all that much if the league keeps with the current number of challenges. What will be an issue is the reason the league didn’t make judgment calls reviewable when replay was reinstated.

How many times do we all look at a PI noncall in slow motion and all agree that a case can be made for and against throwing a flag? YE OLE understands the league wants to respond to the Robey-Coleman debacle, but there are going to be countless calls that could go either way for every call that is as blatant as that. The consistency in calling and reviewing these sorts of noncalls seemingly is going to be all over the place.

Now some of you gents who are much wiser than YE OLE say that this system works well in the CFL so YE will take this into account and reserve judgment.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Have you ever watched say, a Patriots* game ? A player such as Stephon Gilmore gets away with things that drew flags when he wore a Bills helmet. Their former LT got a lot of holding penalties when he switched to a Giants uniform. To say that NFL officials don’t have a strong bias is crazy. They assume winning teams ( largely determined by a team’s QB, not the DBs or even OL most times) players simply made a good play rather than “ broke the rules”. Fouls are committed on almost every play in the MFL; they are mostly what you would consider “ judgment calls”. That’s where the bias comes is. A player on a losing team like the Bills grabs some jersey or holds a WRs arm late in a close game and the flag comes out. A NE player does the same or worse and it is ignored, as the player must have made a great play. It’s maddeningly obvious. 

Gilmore has had more flags per season with the Patriots compared to his years with the Bills. Some other Bills fan whined about that a while back and I checked the stats. So your argument is invalid.

Fouls are not committed on almost every play. That is a lazy argument.

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s not obvious because it is not true. They don't have a bias. The good teams just are better. Yes I have watched plenty of games. Better players and better coached teams get fewer penalties.  And you switched from small market to losing teams. Which is it? Does Green Bay with Rodgers get a bias for or against them? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Where was the bias in the NFC championship team? Do you consider the Saints to be a small market team? Is that why the call wasn't made?

Just now, klos63 said:

Gilmore has had more flags per season with the Patriots compared to his years with the Bills. Some other Bills fan whined about that a while back and I checked the stats. So your argument is invalid.

Fouls are not committed on almost every play. That is a lazy argument.

Not all fouls are created equal, so merely counting fouls in a season is lazy. Fouls tend to be called in NE games when they are already comfortably ahead just to “ even things out”. Most all fans and ex players etc know there is a ton of holding, pretty much on every play. I’ll never convince you, as you’ve already made up your mind and have the blinders on. 

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I get where you are coming from and at times I have been in your camp. But why reward the dense with only 15 yards when they likely would have given up many more.  Defenders would just tackle guys beyond 15 yards if they were beaten

Well, they already do that.  That's what most PI is.

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’s not obvious because it is not true. They don't have a bias. The good teams just are better. Yes I have watched plenty of games. Better players and better coached teams get fewer penalties.  And you switched from small market to losing teams. Which is it? Does Green Bay with Rodgers get a bias for or against them? 

Green Bay and Rodgers aren’t NE.  Ive never thought officials have bias based on market. Just on winning. Some players  are obviously better than others. Inferior players get overwhelmed and commit fouls. Most NFL teams are pretty equal talent wise and the bias for certain teams like the Pats is quite obvious when watching games. Keep buying the BS though. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Well, they already do that.  That's what most PI is.

Many PI calls are ticky tack. Most guys don’t tackle a player when beaten. They probably should, because it’s a spot foul. Less yardage would be awarded. 

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Where was the bias in the NFC championship team? Do you consider the Saints to be a small market team? Is that why the call wasn't made?

Way to single out one blown call. Obviously officials just make errors. Every call / non call doesn’t infer bias. Sometimes they just blow it. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not all fouls are created equal, so merely counting fouls in a season is lazy. Fouls tend to be called in NE games when they are already comfortably ahead just to “ even things out”. Most all fans and ex players etc know there is a ton of holding, pretty much on every play. I’ll never convince you, as you’ve already made up your mind and have the blinders on. 

Blinders? You mean like you discounting actual statistics about Gilmores  penalties because it doesn't fit your narrative? Right

There is not a' ton of holding on almost every play', again that's just lazy thinking. Some people say that and then others just repeat the same thing year after year without thinking about it honestly.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Green Bay and Rodgers aren’t NE. Some players  are obviously better than others. Inferior players get overwhelmed and commit fouls. Most NFL teams are pretty equal talent wise and the bias for certain teams like the Pats is quite obvious when watching games. Keep buying the BS though. 

Many PI calls are ticky tack. Most guys don’t tackle a player when beaten. They probably should, because it’s a spot foul. Less yardage would be awarded. 

Right.   That's what I'm saying- smart DBs do this.  "Touchdown-saving PIs," etc.

Just now, klos63 said:

Blinders? You mean like you discounting actual statistics about Gilmores  penalties because it doesn't fit your narrative? Right

There is not a' ton of holding on almost every play', again that's just lazy thinking. Some people say that and then others just repeat the same thing year after year without thinking about it honestly.

Just watch the line play 8nstead of the QB/ WRs . It’s readily apparent. NE doesn’t get flagged in the biggest moments of games in general. Believe what you wish. Officials are human and have inherent bias. 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Green Bay and Rodgers aren’t NE. Some players  are obviously better than others. Inferior players get overwhelmed and commit fouls. Most NFL teams are pretty equal talent wise and the bias for certain teams like the Pats is quite obvious when watching games. Keep buying the BS though. 

Way to single out one blown call. Obviously officials just make errors. Every call / non call doesn’t infer bias. Sometimes they just blow it. 

I'm singling it out? The NFL just made a major rule change because of that one blown call. It's only bias when it involves the Pats and the Bills, right?

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Just watch the line play 8nstead of the QB/ WRs . It’s readily apparent. NE doesn’t get flagged in the biggest moments of games in general. Believe what you wish. Officials are human and have inherent bias

as you obviously do too.

Perhaps that official was biased. To me it looked like he just missed the call. It was right in front of him. The Rams win a lot, so maybe he thought Robey made a good play. Who knows, but they missed a face mask by New Orleans vs Goff earlier 

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm singling it out? The NFL just made a major rule change because of that one blown call. It's only bias when it involves the Pats and the Bills, right?

as you obviously do too.

Nope, no bias for me. I just watch the games and it’s not hard to see.