Rules Change for Reviewable Pass Interference Calls and Non-Calls

This is an idiotic move. Why these two calls only? Well, we know why, knee-jerk reaction to one blown call. I’m fine with penalties being reviewable, but you can’t just pick and choose two examples. This has to be accompanied by further rules addendums, which it is not. First of all, if this is the way the NFL is going, then every penalty needs to be reviewable. Secondly, they have to impose a hard limit on challenges. Two seems to be a good number that works. No more getting a challenge back if you win them, you have two all game. This will likely result in the coach saving that second challenge. I would bet most second challenges would go unused. 

Then the NFL needs to implement a “shot clock” on replay. Especially if you are challenging penalties. Referees get 2 minutes to look at the tablet and communicate with New York. If a conclusion is not reached in 2 minutes communication cuts off and the call on the field stands. The purpose of replay is not to nit pick everything, it’s to overturn egregiously incorrect calls. Especially now that penalties are challnegeable this has to be the letter of the law that the NFL sticks to. 

11 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Sure would have been nice for this

Yep, that was more egregious than the recent NFC championship game non-call.

This rule change is long overdue.  These are game-changing calls that are regularly botched in the field.  My only complaint is that they did not include replay for unnecessary roughness and roughing the passer penalties.

Edited by mannc

59 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

See the Real McCoy video. 

Crap like than can make a Victory a Loss 

We will see how many teams complain when that happens. I imagine this isn’t going to be a very well liked rule. End of the game, team throws a Hail Mary and has one challenge left. No flag pass falls incomplete. Booth reviews the play. Comes back some contact was made by the defender. Results in first and goal from the 1. Offense punches it in. Game over. 

That is absolutely not the way I want to see a game end. Unfortunately it’s the direction the league is going. 

26 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

We will see how many teams complain when that happens. I imagine this isn’t going to be a very well liked rule. End of the game, team throws a Hail Mary and has one challenge left. No flag pass falls incomplete. Booth reviews the play. Comes back some contact was made by the defender. Results in first and goal from the 1. Offense punches it in. Game over. 

That is absolutely not the way I want to see a game end. Unfortunately it’s the direction the league is going. 

No coaches challenges in the last 2 minutes, booth review only .....  (I believe I read that) 

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

great. more subjective plays get to be reviewed. hate this move. is the NFL reflective of society? with everything going on, one would sure think so.

another 15 minutes of our time wasted every game and people will whine even more and more and more....

• Like (+1) 1

Sal C was on WGR this morning rambling about how this type of play could be reviewed on the last play of the game(Hail Mary), and people would have to stand around for 5 minutes of a review before knowing if the game is over.  This is your Bills beat reporter.  Way to have a grasp of what has been approved.  

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

BIlls fans are never going to accept that a call going against the team, and upheld, was the correct one, even if they show it 1,000,000 times

Hahahaha.  Exactly right.  All the posters in this thread who think this is a great idea, will be bitching up a storm, the first time this works against the Bills.

11 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hahahaha.  Exactly right.  All the posters in this thread who think this is a great idea, will be bitching up a storm, the first time this works against the Bills.

i gave up bothering with replays at least a decade ago, they just make up whatever the ***** they want to in the replay booth, no matter how plainly an objective view would find it

i hear "going to replay" and fast-forward and wait and wait and wait and then resume when they are ready to take the next snap

saves so much frustration, they do whatever the ***** they want with the replay...